Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Power Rangers/Sentai Thread

Post by Bigdog »

Tim85 wrote:I've been watching the big box set of Seasons 1-7 I got for my birthday and I'm currently in the Zeo season. I really enjoy watching these again. My favorite season is still the third season. Everything is firing on all cylinders.

I tried to go back and watch Linkara's History of Power Rangers and apparently, I don't have the correct quicktime downloaded to view them. Does anyone know which one is needed?
Just use VLC. It can run any video format and I have never looked back at the others.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Did you get to the easter eggs yet? I might get this set eventually when I move out.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Bigdog wrote:
Tim85 wrote:I've been watching the big box set of Seasons 1-7 I got for my birthday and I'm currently in the Zeo season. I really enjoy watching these again. My favorite season is still the third season. Everything is firing on all cylinders.

I tried to go back and watch Linkara's History of Power Rangers and apparently, I don't have the correct quicktime downloaded to view them. Does anyone know which one is needed?
Just use VLC. It can run any video format and I have never looked back at the others.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Did you get to the easter eggs yet? I might get this set eventually when I move out.
I did find the one on the 1st Bonus Disc in the MMPR series in the lightning bolt where it was a old pitch for Power Rangers many years before the show was released.

The set is worth every penny. I love watching the progression. It is however, surprising how fast things happen.
I figure: if you're going to get all the seasons eventually; go ahead and splurge for the set. It also comes with two booklets which are episode guides and character profiles and a Red Ranger figure with the Dragon shield.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So Megaforce started and the have the big 90 ranger battle in the opening.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I want MMPR season2 and 3 released separately from the season 1-7 boxset.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think you can buy them sold separately now? Alien Rangers also comes out this fall and ZEO will likely be released on DVD separately soon.
Okay I looked, season 3 is on Amazon but season 2 is broken up into 2 vols, I got season 1 in one box set from timer warner but I guess 2 vols for season 2 isn't bad.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Shout! has a big exciting announcement today in a few hours from now. I guess it will be some new boxset, but I'm hoping they got the rights to Zyuranger. It's Power Rangers 20th anniversary then releasing Zyuranger will be a good choice. I bet that most casual fans don't even know where Power Rangers originally came from.
I'm hoping for that and Kamen Rider. We need more Toku brought over here!
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hellspawn28 wrote:It turns out it's another new boxset. I do admit that it looks pretty cool.

http://blog.samuraicast.com/power-range ... years-dvd/

Meh, I was hoping for Zyuranger since it would be nice to have the Sentai shows on DVD and most Americans can know what the original shows are like. If GoLion can be release on DVD then I don't see why Zyuranger can't?
I think most power rangers fans are either getting these to remembered the episodes they grew up on or to show them to their kids. I'm a big fan of MMPR season1 and I don't think I'd buy Zyuranger so it possible it wouldn't sell good.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

I remember watching MMPR when I was young. I'm not sure what season it was, but I remember that I quit watching when Lord Zed/Rita just straight up LEFT when some clockwork/robot villains showed up and took over (I'm sure Goldar stayed though). I think at this point most of the rangers had left, even many of the 2nd line-up as well bolted. Maybe Billy and Tommy stayed? Either way I was done. I might pick up the dvds at some point. Beyond those early seasons I have no interest in the series though.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Wow. Every episode? In one set?

I was planning on buying the TimeLife bundle but...

I doubt I could afford this though.

Would of been cool to have the unedited Sentai episodes but even then this is too much.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I hate to see the price on that one.

I have the Time Life bundle and that was a chunk of change(but oh so worth it). Who knows? Maybe they'll break it down like the bundle but I doubt it.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Tim85 wrote:I hate to see the price on that one.

I have the Time Life bundle and that was a chunk of change(but oh so worth it). Who knows? Maybe they'll break it down like the bundle but I doubt it.
Someone did tweet Shout asking if they was going to release the rest singularly and they replied "Most likely".

Not sure how that will work since other shows are currently being released in volumes by a different company.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

It's Shout Factory!. They'll figure out a way.

Right now I'm trying to get through the Turbo season. I enjoyed Zeo more than I did when it aired (probably because I got see more episodes in order so things made more sense) but Turbo is a hard slog for me. I remember it being that way when I first watched it. They did a lot of stuff in the beginning that I didn't care for. Getting rid of Zordon and Alpha 5 with more annoying replacements (granted Dimetria does get better after they drop the whole 'only asks questions' angle), Justin can get annoying sometimes, the way they handled Zed and Rita in the movie (which the movie itself is whole another problem). Hopefully it'll get better so I can get through the 'In Space' and 'Wild Force'.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Yep.

Guess you can count me out on the Head-case collection then, I'll be happy with 3-4 big box sets like this.
Guess I have a better excuse to why I didn't buy the Timelife bundle this summer now.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

starsteam wrote:Yep.

Guess you can count me out on the Head-case collection then, I'll be happy with 3-4 big box sets like this.
Guess I have a better excuse to why I didn't buy the Timelife bundle this summer now.
I loved Dino Thunder and Wild Force. It's pretty cool seing that a huge dvd set like this would be realesed.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Boy, can I call it, or can I call it?
I love when companies release entire series like this up front for people who are really big fans of the series. I wish they would do this more often.
When is the release date? Is that known yet?

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Tim85 wrote:Boy, can I call it, or can I call it?
I love when companies release entire series like this up front for people who are really big fans of the series. I wish they would do this more often.
When is the release date? Is that known yet?
November 12th, so it looks like it would be out before the 'First 20 Years' set.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Rangers-Sea ... ngers+8-12

I'm assuming that the rest of the series will be on a 4th box set released next spring(?).

Unless Disney or Lionsgate or whoever rather have their cheap uncomplete DVDs alone in the open market.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

solo Green ranger film?

Post by miguelnuva »

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Re: solo Green ranger film?

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Would love to see something like this.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

POWER RANGERS MEGAFORCE: THE MYSTERIOUS ROBO KNIGHT will be released on DVD and Digital HD January 14, 2014. Cover art and specs are now on SciFi Japan.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... anuary-14/

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Tim85 wrote:It's Shout Factory!. They'll figure out a way.

Right now I'm trying to get through the Turbo season. I enjoyed Zeo more than I did when it aired (probably because I got see more episodes in order so things made more sense) but Turbo is a hard slog for me. I remember it being that way when I first watched it. They did a lot of stuff in the beginning that I didn't care for. Getting rid of Zordon and Alpha 5 with more annoying replacements (granted Dimetria does get better after they drop the whole 'only asks questions' angle), Justin can get annoying sometimes, the way they handled Zed and Rita in the movie (which the movie itself is whole another problem). Hopefully it'll get better so I can get through the 'In Space' and 'Wild Force'.
My friend, don't expect much from Turbo, don't get me wrong, I thought Turbo was all right, but...well...uhh, how can I say this, Spoilers, rangers get baked into a giant pizza. There, I said it.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.