Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Color me cautiously optimistic

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Did not do anything for me. Like I mentioned in the GvK thread, it just reminds me of Paranormal Activity mixed with a Lifetime special.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm not gonna lie,i never though of the Inivisible Man as a horror movie. So making it one is just off for me.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tyrantgoji wrote:I'm not gonna lie,i never though of the Inivisible Man as a horror movie. So making it one is just off for me.
I feel like this version moves so far away from the original story that calling it "The Invisible Man" is disingenuous.

But saying that the original is not a horror movie I find downright baffling. The combination of the genuine danger the character represents with the uncanny imagery generated by his invisibility - and, on top of that, the implicit existential horror of finding oneself no longer visible - strikes me as quite definitively horror.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I hope it's good, but it does look like a ghost movie that was slightly charged into an Invisible Man story. The invisible man needs to talk, openly mock her. That would help the movie stand out from the vast majority of ghost movies that have today.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Trailer didn't do much for me, but whatever, I'm just glad the Dark Universe is back in business; didn't they say it was dead after The Mummy 2017 was a gigantic flop?

I'm curious about their latest take on The Wolf Man, whenever that may be.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

KManX89 wrote:Trailer didn't do much for me, but whatever, I'm just glad the Dark Universe is back in business; didn't they say it was dead after The Mummy 2017 was a gigantic flop?

It is dead. They've scrapped it and are letting Blumhouse have a shot at the property. (Why they didnt let their horror branch work on their horror franchise is beyond me....)

Though I would not be shocked if this does well, they suddenly say "ACTUALLY IT WAS A DARK UNIVERSE ALL ALONG YOU GUYS, OK, MAN WHO LAUGHS VS SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (FEATURING A DEADLY MANTIS CAMEO) IN 2025"
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Trailer didn't do much for me, but whatever, I'm just glad the Dark Universe is back in business; didn't they say it was dead after The Mummy 2017 was a gigantic flop?

It is dead. They've scrapped it and are letting Blumhouse have a shot at the property. (Why they didnt let their horror branch work on their horror franchise is beyond me....)

Though I would not be shocked if this does well, they suddenly say "ACTUALLY IT WAS A DARK UNIVERSE ALL ALONG YOU GUYS, OK, MAN WHO LAUGHS VS SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (FEATURING A DEADLY MANTIS CAMEO) IN 2025"
I was under the impression from what I read on the Dark Universe Wikipedia pages and other articles that it was being rebooted.

But I'm interested in their rumored remake/reboot of Wolf Man because it's been a while since we got a (major release) werewolf move and an even longer time since we got one that was actually decent. Underworld 3 was the last good/decent one IMO if you don't count Cabin in the Woods or Annabelle Comes Home, since they had a very minor role in those movies.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Elizabeth Bank will be directing an Invisible Woman movie.

Her Charlie's Angles movie bombed hard, she pulled a Paul Feig and blamed men/sexism for it bombing, and yet Universal does this...

Considering how Paul Feig will also be involved and how Amy Pascal, who caused GB2016, is at Universal, this is also destined to bomb.

Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Elizabeth Bank will be directing an Invisible Woman movie.

Her Charlie's Angles movie bombed hard, she pulled a Paul Feig and blamed men/sexism for it bombing, and yet Universal does this...

Considering how Paul Feig will also be involved and how Amy Pascal, who caused GB2016, is at Universal, this is also destined to bomb.

Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.
No thanks lmao.

As someone once said, these days filmmakers only fail upwards. How she got another job right after releasing a tanker, I have no idea. But Universal seems to be focusing on politics rather than quality filmmaking, and I'm sure we'll see it in that new 'Invisible Man' in name only film.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Invislble Woman was already an Invisible Man in name only film anyway cause the original is a screwball comedy about a fired department store model who uses her invisibility to get revenge on her old boss. Only way this might work out is to take a similar route but I doubt this is something Universal will want.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.
Bitch, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

If you want a female Dracula, just bring back Carmilla.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:If you want a female Dracula, just bring back Carmilla.
No, they should bring back Mircalla instead.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.
The character has already managed to make his way into one genuinely great remake. Why tempt fate any further?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.
The character has already managed to make his way into one genuinely great remake. Why tempt fate any further?
He had a remake?

I think it was a television show, right? N0S4A2? I haven't watched it yet.

But the guy behind "The Lighthouse" has had Nosferatu on his radar for a while now, so it'd be cool to see what he'd be able to put together. Wonder if he'd keep it black and white?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Fish Cakes wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.
skreeonk, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.

Esh...Just joking around.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
He had a remake?

I think it was a television show, right? N0S4A2? I haven't watched it yet.

But the guy behind "The Lighthouse" has had Nosferatu on his radar for a while now, so it'd be cool to see what he'd be able to put together. Wonder if he'd keep it black and white?
Werner Herzog remade Nosferatu in 1979, with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani. It's well worth checking out.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:
skreeonk, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.

Esh...Just joking around.
So was I, was it not obvious from my colorful language?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."