General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Im weighing watching Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe, or vampire doll after getting lunch today. I’d always prefer to watch something new, but I’m considering saving some horror films for October.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:If the big films flop though what incentive does a studio have to license another property at all? Rampage, The Meg, and even Power Rangers at least were made and released before KOTM disappointed.

The only way I think we'll see an American Gamera is if GvK is a big success. And even if it underperforms I think we could see one if the property was licensed before that event, but I think the other studios are waiting out what happens with that film before looking to other potential monster films.
1. Sure they were made before KOTM, but they were also made after Godzilla, Kong, and PacRim 1 were successful. And now Rampage and The Meg are successes. There is some wiggle room here to argue for moderate budgeted films even if KOTM flopped.
2. Why on earth should we assume GvK is going to flop? The circumstances are very different.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

UK ONLY GAMERA BLU-RAY SET FROM ARROW COMING NEXT YEAR

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

^There's a chance the set will be released by Arrow in the States as well.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hm. If it gets released here and isn't excessively expensive (don't see why it would be), I'll probably pick it up. GTB is the only one I don't have, and my Irys DVD has jacked up subtitles, plus better picture and sound quality are always welcome.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

You know for what they are the Mill Creek Heisei blurays aren't too shabby. Especially for how cheap they are. Though new releases from the Japanese 4K scans sound pretty tempting.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gamera!
Gamera!
His franchise is out of its prime!
Soon he'll be forgotten to time!
Where the heck is Gameraaaa!

But seriously Kadokawa, it has been far too long! We need our rocket turtle back! :(

It feels like that 2015 trailer was for nothing...

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If there's no Gamera movie by April 25, 2021, we'll be in the longest Gamera movie drought of all time. The current longest drought was the 5474 days (nearly 15 years) between Super Monster and GOTU.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Terasawa wrote:If there's no Gamera movie by April 25, 2021, we'll be in the longest Gamera movie drought of all time. The current longest drought was the 5474 days (nearly 15 years) between Super Monster and GOTU.
Has it really been so long since Gamera the Brave?! It can't be...that movie practically just came out..!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Terasawa wrote:If there's no Gamera movie by April 25, 2021, we'll be in the longest Gamera movie drought of all time. The current longest drought was the 5474 days (nearly 15 years) between Super Monster and GOTU.
Has it really been so long since Gamera the Brave?! It can't be...that movie practically just came out..!
There are teens who were born after that film came out.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Decided to re-rank the Gamera films after having watched almost all of them over the last year.

1. Gamera GOTU [Tie]
1. G3 [Tie]
3. G2
4. Gamera the Brave
5. Gamera vs. Gaos
6. Gamera vs. Barugon
7. Gamera vs. Jiger
8. Gamera vs. Guiron
9. Gamera vs. Viras
10. Gammera, the Invincible ('66)
11. Gamera vs. Zigra
12. Gamera ('65)
13. Gamera - Super Monster
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

What makes the American version of the original Gamera rank higher than the Japanese version?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:What makes the American version of the original Gamera rank higher than the Japanese version?
The American version's new sequences are clunky and pretty unnecessary, but despite that (and despite lengthening the movie by eight minutes), I think the U.S. release is better paced. It also deletes a lot of the curious Toshio-Gamera relationship, which IMO is for the better. I don't like the mysterious way Yuasa handles their relationship in the Japanese version, which I think makes Toshio come off as a borderline psychopath.

In other words, with one version you have the peculiar Toshio content and with the other you have sometimes interminable briefings (with Albert Dekker reading his script on screen). I'll take the latter, even if it "robs" the film of its most unique attribute and replaces it with unneeded filler.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:What makes the American version of the original Gamera rank higher than the Japanese version?
The American version's new sequences are clunky and pretty unnecessary, but despite that (and despite lengthening the movie by eight minutes), I think the U.S. release is better paced. It also deletes a lot of the curious Toshio-Gamera relationship, which IMO is for the better. I don't like the mysterious way Yuasa handles their relationship in the Japanese version, which I think makes Toshio come off as a borderline psychopath.

In other words, with one version you have the peculiar Toshio content and with the other you have sometimes interminable briefings (with Albert Dekker reading his script on screen). I'll take the latter, even if it "robs" the film of its most unique attribute and replaces it with unneeded filler.
Yeah, that's always been my problem with the film, that kid comes across as legitimately criminally insane and delusional. Not even an exaggeration, that kid as depicted in the movie is not even remotely okay.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Decided to re-rank the Gamera films after having watched almost all of them over the last year.

1. Gamera GOTU [Tie]
1. G3 [Tie]
3. G2
4. Gamera the Brave
5. Gamera vs. Gaos
6. Gamera vs. Barugon
7. Gamera vs. Jiger
8. Gamera vs. Guiron
9. Gamera vs. Viras
10. Gammera, the Invincible ('66)
11. Gamera vs. Zigra
12. Gamera ('65)
13. Gamera - Super Monster
I’m curious if there’s a substantial gap between the G2 and the brave and then subsequently Gaos.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I’m curious if there’s a substantial gap between the G2 and the brave and then subsequently Gaos.
The Brave was the one Gamera I didn't get around to watching last year or so far this year. It's also the only entry that I haven't yet rated at IMDb: I'm waiting to watch it again before I do but I'll tentatively assign it a 6/10. The three '90s films all get a 7 from me and Gamera vs. Gaos gets a 5, so yeah, there's a gap.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Terasawa wrote:

But hey, at least you have pre-Skeletor Alan Oppenheimer hamming it up for the camera in the latter version.

Also, the Arctic Air Force base scenes have MUCH better acting then the Japanese original.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Millenial88 wrote:Also, the Arctic Air Force base scenes have MUCH better acting then the Japanese original.
Oh absolutely, and I think the aforementioned Oppenheimer sequence is more entertaining than the dull news conference in the Japanese version. The problem is that most of the new scenes are dreadfully slow and divert too long from the Japanese footage.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I already have the Mill Creek set. Easy pass...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:Also, the Arctic Air Force base scenes have MUCH better acting then the Japanese original.
Oh absolutely, and I think the aforementioned Oppenheimer sequence is more entertaining than the dull news conference in the Japanese version. The problem is that most of the new scenes are dreadfully slow and divert too long from the Japanese footage.
READ YOU IGNORANT APE!

I also find that senator that acts like he's drunk off his ass during the tedious conference scenes real funny. He almost makes them worthwhile. Also, the reporter's weird stalkerish attempts at hitting on the scientist's assistant are truncated in Gammera, which is a plus. In general, the really weird behavior of characters seems to be removed from this cut.
MandaSaurus wrote:I already have the Mill Creek set. Easy pass...
Well, sucks to be you.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....