Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

Post by LegendZilla »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:54 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:24 am Dinosaur media could be potentially revitalized if someone came up with a new and unique way to explain how the dinosaurs are present. In stuff such as The Lost World, King Kong, The Land that Time forgot etc, the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures are discovered by unsuspecting explorers in uncharted valleys, islands, continents and such. Starting with the 80’s and 90’s, it became popularized for dinosaurs to be brought back via cloning and genetically engineering as seen with the likes of Jurassic Park and the aforementioned Carnosaur.

My idea for how dinosaurs could appear is that an accident occurs with an experimental time machine, leading to a malfunction in the time-space continuum. As a result, dinosaurs and countless other long-extinct animals overrun civilization like a zombie apocalypse.
You know, that's the plot of Dinosaurs Attack! exactly.

Oh, Mr. Burton, are you out there and reading this? You could still do this film, you know, it's not too late...
How would it be any different from following the exact same goddamn zombie-virus from space scenario for the gazillionth time?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:58 pm How would it be any different from following the exact same goddamn zombie-virus from space scenario for the gazillionth time?
Because it's dinosaurs instead of zombies. That's important.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:24 am Dinosaur media could be potentially revitalized if someone came up with a new and unique way to explain how the dinosaurs are present. In stuff such as The Lost World, King Kong, The Land that Time forgot etc, the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures are discovered by unsuspecting explorers in uncharted valleys, islands, continents and such. Starting with the 80’s and 90’s, it became popularized for dinosaurs to be brought back via cloning and genetically engineering as seen with the likes of Jurassic Park and the aforementioned Carnosaur.

My idea for how dinosaurs could appear is that an accident occurs with an experimental time machine, leading to a malfunction in the time-space continuum. As a result, dinosaurs and countless other long-extinct animals overrun civilization like a zombie apocalypse.
The British sci fi series Primeval had a very similar premise, but the anomalies that brought the ancient, and sometimes future, animals back were a natural occurrence.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 pm

The British sci fi series Primeval had a very similar premise, but the anomalies that brought the ancient, and sometimes future, animals back were a natural occurrence.
Primeval started off so strong but feel apart so quickly for me.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

One question: was Primeval released before or after Dinosaurs Attack1? The latter came out in 1988.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 01, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:58 pm How would it be any different from following the exact same goddamn zombie-virus from space scenario for the gazillionth time?
Because it's dinosaurs instead of zombies. That's important.
And because Burton possibly would make it in the same style as Mars Attacks!, the film he did before.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

mikelcho wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm
mikelcho wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:54 pm You know, that's the plot of Dinosaurs Attack! exactly.
One question: was Primeval released before or after Dinosaurs Attack1? The latter came out in 1988.
After. Primeval was 2005 or so.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm

In 2007.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

H-Man wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 am I finally sat down to watch The Lost World (1960) last night. It's really a film that cannot find an audience today. Feminists would denounce it as sexist: one of the final lines of the movie is "The best title for a woman is 'Mrs.'". I'm sure the cowardly Hispanic guy--not to mention that only the non-white characters die in the movie--would elicit calls of racism. There's the violence against animals in the obligatory slurpasaur fight sequence, which would get animal rights activists up in arms. The best I can say about the movie is that there are some nice-looking sets and the women are purty--thank goodness they don't kill the native girl for having the nerve to fall for a white man.
I don't think because certain groups would find "problematic" things in the film that the movie wouldn't be able to find an audience today. A lot of movies made back in the day had "problematic" elements. Its just based on the viewer and how far your mileage goes in accepting those moments as a product of their time or not. King Kong 33 has several problematic elements including blatant misogyny but its still considered one of the best movies ever. I find myself in the crowd that acknowledges these elements but also noting the time and place they came from are very different from today. We shouldn't necessarily always be looking to censor or shut down something because it doesn't reflect modern sensibilities. Sometimes the "outrage" goes a little overboard (ie the current "controversy" over the Prince kissing Snow White at that Disneyland ride)
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Most controversies really aren't that big, its just that those select few complaining are particularly loud about it
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Godzilla21 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:46 am
H-Man wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 am I finally sat down to watch The Lost World (1960) last night. It's really a film that cannot find an audience today. Feminists would denounce it as sexist: one of the final lines of the movie is "The best title for a woman is 'Mrs.'". I'm sure the cowardly Hispanic guy--not to mention that only the non-white characters die in the movie--would elicit calls of racism. There's the violence against animals in the obligatory slurpasaur fight sequence, which would get animal rights activists up in arms. The best I can say about the movie is that there are some nice-looking sets and the women are purty--thank goodness they don't kill the native girl for having the nerve to fall for a white man.
I don't think because certain groups would find "problematic" things in the film that the movie wouldn't be able to find an audience today. A lot of movies made back in the day had "problematic" elements. Its just based on the viewer and how far your mileage goes in accepting those moments as a product of their time or not. King Kong 33 has several problematic elements including blatant misogyny but its still considered one of the best movies ever. I find myself in the crowd that acknowledges these elements but also noting the time and place they came from are very different from today. We shouldn't necessarily always be looking to censor or shut down something because it doesn't reflect modern sensibilities. Sometimes the "outrage" goes a little overboard (ie the current "controversy" over the Prince kissing Snow White at that Disneyland ride)
I agree that outrage goes overboard. And my brief review wasn't meant to Cancel or call for boycotts or anything like that. I just find it hard to imagine many people today--save those who have fond memories of it growing up--really finding anything to enjoy in it. It obviously still has its fans--IMDB has taught us that even the lowest-budget crap adventure/fantasy will have some people who honestly enjoyed it--and may even gain new fans as the Jurassic Park franchise creates new generations of dinosaur movie buffs. But I do think that it hasn't aged as well as, say, the 1925 version.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:10 am Most controversies really aren't that big, its just that those select few complaining are particularly loud about it
Ya I think I read that 80% of all Tweets are from like 10% of all Twitter users. The common average person doesn't really care about stuff that happens in old movies.

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
H-Man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:36 am
Godzilla21 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:46 am
I agree that outrage goes overboard. And my brief review wasn't meant to Cancel or call for boycotts or anything like that. I just find it hard to imagine many people today--save those who have fond memories of it growing up--really finding anything to enjoy in it. It obviously still has its fans--IMDB has taught us that even the lowest-budget crap adventure/fantasy will have some people who honestly enjoyed it--and may even gain new fans as the Jurassic Park franchise creates new generations of dinosaur movie buffs. But I do think that it hasn't aged as well as, say, the 1925 version.
Ya I figured you were just being a bit facetious in your review of the movie. I personally remember seeing it as a kid in the late 80s or early 90s and not liking it at all. The 1925 film is vastly superior.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:02 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm One question: was Primeval released before or after Dinosaurs Attack1? The latter came out in 1988.
In 2007.
Okay, so Dinosaurs Attack! did it first.

But, can anyone imagine a Tim Burton-directed Dinosaurs Attack! film done in a similar style to his Mars Attacks! film? That'd be insane!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu May 06, 2021 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It'd be an irreverent and silly take on kaiju and JP films, so it would probably be funny.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Godzilla21 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 am Ya I figured you were just being a bit facetious in your review of the movie. I personally remember seeing it as a kid in the late 80s or early 90s and not liking it at all. The 1925 film is vastly superior.
Good! So we're on the level!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I don't think we have a General Dinosaur movie thread, so I'll just hijack this one:

The Jurassic Dead (2017) - This low-budget picture is a cross between Carnosaur; The Re-Animator; and Day of the Dead. A scientist perfects a serum that resurrects dead animals and uses it to revive a T-Rex. He gets kicked out of the government and continues his studies at a university. After spooking his class by reviving a cat, he is fired and subsequently ran over by truck. Some time later, an asteroid hits the Earth while some mercenaries are en route to a military bunker to knock off the scientist, who has...I'm not sure if "gone rogue" is the right term...but has at least holed himself up. The mercenaries are joined by four bickering high school kids whose car was shut down by the EMP. Once inside the bunker, the people are stalked by the T-Rex, whose bite transforms its victims into rage zombies. The movie is incompetently edited, but I saw a lot of love from the filmmakers onscreen--unlike those cheap, cynical and unentertaining Asylum films. And the dinosaur appears to be a full-scale puppet instead of bad CGI, too. So I can't completely hate it, even though it's not very good on the whole.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

All that's missing is a pack of zombie Raptors.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 pm All that's missing is a pack of zombie Raptors.
I'm personally glad that we got a post-Jurassic Park movie without Raptors.

Which reminds me, I need to pick up the Brazilian DVDs of Raptor Island and Raptor Planet.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

TUROK:Son of Stone-(2008)DTV animated feature from the Weinstein Company adapting the origin story of the Gold Key/Valiant Comics character, alongside his nephew Andar, and his mother ending up the Lost Land. Where all sorts of prehistoric flora and fauna exist. Doesn't shy away from the bloodshed or severed limbs. So watch out.

DC SHOWCASE:The Losers.-animated short included with the first part to the animated, direct to video release of BATMAN:THE LONG HALLOWEEN. A story set during the Second World War where a team of hardcases, code-named the Losers, is dispatched to an island in the Pacific to retrieve a Chinese research team ,and their research. The hard luck team find the island overrun with dinosaurs of course.
Last edited by The One and Only on Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Discotek media will be releasing Legends of Dinosaurs and Monster birds on blu ray November 24. This will include English dub and Japanese with English subtitles.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.