King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by ArtMaker »

As Godzilla has met various forms of aliens and space kaiju, (ex. Gigan and King Ghidorah) what’d sort of Kong equivalent (be it a storyline or monster) would you imagine his be?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ArtMaker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm As Godzilla has met various forms of aliens and space kaiju, (ex. Gigan and King Ghidorah) what’d sort of Kong equivalent (be it a storyline or monster) would you imagine his be?
I am thinking a Centaur-type alien, or a Chimera.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:36 pm
ArtMaker wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm As Godzilla has met various forms of aliens and space kaiju, (ex. Gigan and King Ghidorah) what’d sort of Kong equivalent (be it a storyline or monster) would you imagine his be?
I am thinking a Centaur-type alien, or a Chimera.
Sounds like the unused 94 Gryphon

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I think a minotaur would be cool for Kong. While Godzilla has more Sci fi type foes, I always felt like Kong should have more fantasy mythological inspired opponents. Don't get me wrong, I think like bio-engineered type kaiju fit Kong as well, but I'm not sure outer space aliens fit for Kong. The type of monsters I think fit for Kong:
Modern day robot and bio-engineered creatures
Dinosaurs and natural type giant creatures
Sea monsters
Mythology (Kraken, cyclops, fantasy elemental creatures, dragons of different types, hydras, rock golems, ect)
Journey to the center of the earth type creatures

Basically, Kong should face creatures that could be ripped out of Dungeons and Dragons if that makes sense. Aliens from another planet don't really mix with Kong IMO. Heck, for a japanese flavored Kong, yokai would be cool.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

1. King Kong (1933)
2. King Kong (1976)
3. Kong: Skull Island
4. King Kong Escapes
5. Son of Kong
6. King Kong vs Godzilla
7. King Kong (2005)
8. King Kong Lives

Added in 23 minutes 14 seconds:
For the other discussions:
1. An Asian city would be cool, but I don't have any in mind. Just not that one in the other movie so I don't have to be reminded.
2. I think I'd just stick with the dinosaur/reptile types for his "nemesis"
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I think an excellent rival to Kong could be Chiros, from Kong: The Animated Series!
Image Image

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:22 pm I think a minotaur would be cool for Kong. While Godzilla has more Sci fi type foes, I always felt like Kong should have more fantasy mythological inspired opponents. Don't get me wrong, I think like bio-engineered type kaiju fit Kong as well, but I'm not sure outer space aliens fit for Kong. The type of monsters I think fit for Kong:
Modern day robot and bio-engineered creatures
Dinosaurs and natural type giant creatures
Sea monsters
Mythology (Kraken, cyclops, fantasy elemental creatures, dragons of different types, hydras, rock golems, ect)
Journey to the center of the earth type creatures

Basically, Kong should face creatures that could be ripped out of Dungeons and Dragons if that makes sense. Aliens from another planet don't really mix with Kong IMO. Heck, for a japanese flavored Kong, yokai would be cool.
That is a very excellent point, and fitting.

Godzilla is from an age of advancing military technology and misuse of power (the atomic bomb), his movies corresponding to the times (space travel, genetics, and so on). He’s of the “New World” whereas Kong is of the “Old World”. From an old jungle explorer, ‘The Lost World’ and age of new discoveries in uncharted land time period. A clash of two worlds, neither belonging to the other (the humans in Kong’s land, and Kong in the human’s land i.e. New York).

So yes, Kong facing more mythological beasts is fitting.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Prehistoric and mythical suit Kong perfectly. Or even a cryptid, like the dragon like Ninki Nanka.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why not make Ebirah a full-time member of a rogues gallery for Kong? It only makes sense considering the history behind EHoTD.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:29 pm ^Why not make Ebirah a full-time member of a rogues gallery for Kong? It only makes sense considering the history behind EHoTD.
Except that movie didn't end up getting made so it doesn't make any sense now. Ebirah is objectively a Godzilla monster and has more history with Godzilla than Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:42 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:29 pm ^Why not make Ebirah a full-time member of a rogues gallery for Kong? It only makes sense considering the history behind EHoTD.
Except that movie didn't end up getting made so it doesn't make any sense now. Ebirah is objectively a Godzilla monster and has more history with Godzilla than Kong.
Who's to say the idea shouldn't be given a second chance? Marvel Comics' Kingpin was originally introduced as an adversary for Spiderman, but later on became Daredevil's archenemy.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I mean I wouldn't mind Kong fighting a crab lobster shrimp monster but the Kingpin example doesn't work. Kingpin, Spider-Man and Daredevil all belong to the Marvel Universe. It isn't weird for villains to swap heroes. Ebirah specifically belongs to Toho and they are protective.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Very protective of their property.

An original sea monster would work better.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Here’s another fun discussion prompt, “What if Son of Kong (or at least, a sequel in general) was not rushed?”

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:42 pm
I strongly disagree with that logic. Ebirah def has more history with Godzilla, but it's not on the same level as monsters like Ghidorah or the rest of the Big 4. So he isn't purely constrained to Godzilla, as I doubt many people outside of hardcore fans would be like "oh no, Ebirah MUST be a Godzilla monster only". Ebirah totally fits as a Kong monster, regardless of the history.

Though to be totally honest, the MV could just create a new monster entirely much like what they did with Scylla and Kumonga, as Scylla seems a lot cooler than Kumonga does to me. Ebirah is a bit bland and forgettable, as a lot of people see him as "giant shrimp".

I think Kong needs more monsters like Amhuluk and Camazotz in this future film to fight. He needs somebody really mean and big.
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:15 pm I mean I wouldn't mind Kong fighting a crab lobster shrimp monster but the Kingpin example doesn't work. Kingpin, Spider-Man and Daredevil all belong to the Marvel Universe. It isn't weird for villains to swap heroes. Ebirah specifically belongs to Toho and they are protective.
It won't matter anymore once (King) Kong goes full public domain in 2029.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KingKong2005 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:44 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:42 pm Except that movie didn't end up getting made so it doesn't make any sense now. Ebirah is objectively a Godzilla monster and has more history with Godzilla than Kong.
I strongly disagree with that logic. Ebirah def has more history with Godzilla, but it's not on the same level as monsters like Ghidorah or the rest of the Big 4. So he isn't purely constrained to Godzilla, as I doubt many people outside of hardcore fans would be like "oh no, Ebirah MUST be a Godzilla monster only". Ebirah totally fits as a Kong monster, regardless of the history.
But no one outside of hardcore fans has any idea that the Kong vs. Ebirah movie was ever considered, and therefore only hardcore fans would see any sense in making Ebirah a Kong enemy. And only a handful of those fans would care; isn't EHOTD considered bottom-tier trash by most of the fandom?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I think an interesting archenemy for Kong could be a giant ox or wild cattle, like a gaur. The reason is that while Kong usually represents pristine nature untouched by human civilisations, cattle are inseparably associated with human culture and farming and by extension the exploitation, opposition to, and destruction of nature. Helps that according to one book their are Gaurs on Skull Island in Peter Jackson's canon.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:16 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:42 pm Except that movie didn't end up getting made so it doesn't make any sense now. Ebirah is objectively a Godzilla monster and has more history with Godzilla than Kong.
But no one outside of hardcore fans has any idea that the Kong vs. Ebirah movie was ever considered, and therefore only hardcore fans would see any sense in making Ebirah a Kong enemy. And only a handful of those fans would care; isn't EHOTD considered bottom-tier trash by most of the fandom?
Even if he's not the main enemy per say, he could still at least a re-occurring adversary.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Very true! My point is that people would see this as a new monster, they wouldn't be like "Oh no Ebirah has no history with Kong he can't be a Kong monster". Ebirah could totally work, especially with a redesign and new abilities! Just my two cents :D

Added in 28 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:58 pm
Even if he's not the main enemy per say, he could still at least a re-occurring adversary.
Absolutely! I think that's what they're setting up with Camazotz though, which is equally awesome!
Image Image