King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:16 am
KingKong2005 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:44 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:42 pm Except that movie didn't end up getting made so it doesn't make any sense now. Ebirah is objectively a Godzilla monster and has more history with Godzilla than Kong.
I strongly disagree with that logic. Ebirah def has more history with Godzilla, but it's not on the same level as monsters like Ghidorah or the rest of the Big 4. So he isn't purely constrained to Godzilla, as I doubt many people outside of hardcore fans would be like "oh no, Ebirah MUST be a Godzilla monster only". Ebirah totally fits as a Kong monster, regardless of the history.
But no one outside of hardcore fans has any idea that the Kong vs. Ebirah movie was ever considered, and therefore only hardcore fans would see any sense in making Ebirah a Kong enemy. And only a handful of those fans would care; isn't EHOTD considered bottom-tier trash by most of the fandom?
I can't say anything about most of the fans, but as for me - well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you never forget your first time.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Some fan art of mine I thought I’d share.

https://www.deviantart.com/artmakerprod ... -906673099

Inspired by the “If Disney Made A King Kong Film” video by BigJackFilms and HewyToonmore over on YouTube.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Any News on the Kong Skull island lately?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

KingKong2005 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:02 pm
Absolutely! I think that's what they're setting up with Camazotz though, which is equally awesome!
As a recurring foe, Camazotz would drive Kong batty.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:43 pm Any News on the Kong Skull island lately?
The anime or the unrelated most likely scrapped live action series that I'm bummed about.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm watching the TV cut of Scream Factory's King Kong (1976) Blu-ray right now. My second viewing of the movie; first was at least a decade ago. It's good so far. John Barry's score is excellent, that was one of the few things I remember from that first viewing. There are some very nice visuals, too. I'm at the point where they come ashore on the island now, and some of these shots are beautiful.

EDIT: Kong himself is okay. The suit looks good enough for the time, and the effects overall are mostly convincing. Kong's rape faces are hysterical and would take me out of the movie, but Dwan is just as goofy as he is, so it all goes together.

The log scene was pretty poorly done, unfortunately. The set wasn't convincing at all, and didn't look anything like the rest of the island. And I don't know if it was just my Xbox or what, but there was a bizarre glitch during that scene where Kong was trying to reach Jack, and then the opening credits suddenly started playing again. I fast forwarded and rewound a few seconds, and then it played normally. Really weird.

EDIT: And I'm done. I probably won't watch the TV cut again anytime soon... I do like the slow pace overall, but it does start to drag a little by the end, and some individual scenes like the plane dropping supplies or Kong smashing the gate felt awkwardly drawn out. It probably works a lot better in its theatrical runtime.

As a Kong movie, it definitely has plenty of value for its many unique aspects; it's just really interesting to have a big budget American giant monster movie made at that particular point in time. It's probably the weakest of the three versions of the original story, though. The original was a masterpiece for its time, and then '05 basically took a lot of the things '76 did well and improved on them, although of course it does get bogged down in its own problems.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Does anyone know the definitive release of the 90's Kong series. There seem to be two versions of. I obviously want the most complete one.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

New Kong comics coming...wish it wasn't Dynamite

https://www.comicon.com/2022/07/20/sdcc ... rtainment/
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What's wrong with Dynamite?

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I unboxed an old Peter Jackson era Kong shirt and am adding it to my workout and casual hot weather wear rotation

#MyDiary
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

There's a new Kong show coming to Disney+... from James Wan. It sounds like Kong has gone public domain? The series has involvement from the Cooper estate.
I'm not very intrigued. James Wan is close to the bottom of my barrel as far as hot ticket directors these days. Could be a pleasant surprise, though.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What would it take to make a truly great Kong film? By that I mean right up there with the original.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

For a whole slew of reasons, no new Kong films is ever going to compare with the original.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ It simply can't, given that the original was such a groundbreaking special effects achievement for the time. Today's movies are all about huge, flashy effects, and we're fast approaching the limit of how impressive they can be. It's just not possible to replicate the original significance.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think of the recent Planet of the Apes films, which for my money, are the most incredible use of CG in the last decade, moreso even than Avatar. If a Kong movie had been made with that kind of attention to story and FX work, then maybe we could have had one that came close to the original's significance.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:48 am ^ It simply can't, given that the original was such a groundbreaking special effects achievement for the time. Today's movies are all about huge, flashy effects, and we're fast approaching the limit of how impressive they can be. It's just not possible to replicate the original significance.
Not just groundbreaking effects, but perhaps even more broadly influential was its stunning musical score.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

I think the Peter Jackson film came pretty close, personally.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

ArtMaker wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:18 am I think the Peter Jackson film came pretty close, personally.
........it did?

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

It was a well done tribute that honoured the original, at least.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

ArtMaker wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:06 am It was a well done tribute that honoured the original, at least.
I had the same thought. I also think Peter Jackson did a better job of adding depth to the Ann Darrow character than the original film in which she was mostly portrayed as a damsel in distress.