NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
UltramanGoji

Re: NOPE; Alien Invasion by Jordan Peele

Post by UltramanGoji »

It was good, but not great. It's riddled with bad pacing, editing and subplots that don't connect in any real meaningful way to one overarching narrative. The "twist" is fine but not really as interesting as it sounds. The chemistry among the cast is the highlight. Keke Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya are great together. Nice looking movie too, definitely made for the big screen. I just wish it stuck the landing on what it was trying to present because it felt very underwhelming all things considered.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just coming back from the theater. This movie is utter perfection.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Heh, when you get down to it.
Spoiler:
Nope is basically what you get when you roll Dogora, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Blob (1988), Tremors with a touch of Signs (2002) all into one. :P

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

God damn chimpanzees. Don't trust them. Never will.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

It was okay. Mixed reaction from our exiting audiences. Don't expect this one to have strong legs at the Box Office.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Loved it! May be my favorite of his movies. Brilliant!

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

So I haven't seen Get Out or Us. Get Out is on my watch list while Us, leaning more into horror, seems like it may not be for me. Regardless saw NOPE over the weekend and...

I thought it was good, bordering very good. Peele knows how to set up shots, set up seemingly unrelated events and then tie them expertly together. The tension was absolutely superb, the characters were rather clever (for most of the film), the comedy was solid, and effects (excluding the flashbacks) were impressive. If executed perfectly, this could have easily been a great or a fantastic film but...
Spoiler:
The ending really hampers the film for me. The director losing his mind for starters came out of nowhere and while I liked how they killed the UFO/creature, it also came out of nowhere and works against the film. I almost wish it just fled somewhere else. Also, while I get the point of trying to capture it on film, wouldn't a body be better than a photo? Like the UFO killed the main lead's dad, a great cameo by Keith David, and while the sister had less of a connection, I was confused as to why the son never proposed that idea. Sure, the UFO disables electronics, but would it disable a ton of dynamite in a trojan horse like set up? The photo and story the siblings give to the media will make them famous for sure, but will it last longer than analysis of the dead body when it lands nearby?
So yeah, a good movie with great moments, but I think it needed a better end to be truly one of the greats.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:36 pm God damn chimpanzees. Don't trust them. Never will.
I swear that this horrific incident was inspiration for...that scene.

Movie itself was great. As other said, it sorta lost steam near the end. Of Peele's three movies, Get Out is still my favorite.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:50 pm
Spuro wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:36 pm God damn chimpanzees. Don't trust them. Never will.
Oh it almost certainly was.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 pm
Can someone explain what exactly happened in the movie?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:46 am

Why not watch it for yourself?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 am

I'm okay with spoilers.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:16 pm
Spuro wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 am

I'm okay with spoilers.
Okay so basically:
Spoiler:
Nah, watch the movie to find out the connection. I'm not spoonfeeding you.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I found this film to be very solid, saw it in a dolby theater with my gf. The subtle message about our relationship with animals was quite nice, and overall I think the film has a lot going for it. I was on the edge of my seat for a good portion of the experience, and if a film can do that then it succeeded in sum way in my book.
Yeah, the climax was a little disjointed. The scope was exquisite, but the story fell apart quite a bit.

But damn, why'd they have to do the Arbiter like dat :cry: :cry:

Remember this guys, the true message was
Spoiler:
always rely on plastic to kill an animal.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Saw it in IMAX earlier today. The last IMAX showing in the state of Georgia, apparently. I was uninterested and had to be dragged there, but I'm glad I went. It really is one of those movies made for a huge screen. Very impressive visuals. The story and pacing were a bit clunky and the premise raises a lot of questions, but credit where it's due: I never would have thought to take the 'alien abduction' concept in this particular direction. Major points for originality.
Spoiler:
The entire movie was clearly just an excuse to make Michael Wincott sing The One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Once more people see it or at least online spoilers get circulated widely enough, I imagine this one might generate a decent amount of buzz in our community. It really should, anyway.
Spoiler:
It's a creative, original American giant monster movie, you know? Not a kaiju in the typical sense, exactly, but Jean Jacket is a very large monster, at least. And his movie is actually pretty good. Not perfect; the ending is a bit weak and there are some logical problems with the assertion that these creatures are responsible for the UFO phenomenon (most notably that Jean Jacket wasn't exactly subtle or unpredictable; if these things have been on Earth for any length of time, there's no way the public wouldn't have noticed them.), but there are always things to nitpick. It wasn't another brainless, no-effort, MCU-wannabe, it was aiming higher, and that should be embraced and encouraged.
As a semi-downside, UFOs are kind of contaminated for me, now. I'll never be able to see them exactly the same again. Not that I subscribe strongly to any particular theory, anyway, but I'll tell you what fucking wasn't in my head when I thought about them. :cry:
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Greyshot151 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:28 am
Spoiler:
The director losing his mind for starters came out of nowhere
Spoiler:
I'll have to see the movie again and pay attention, but IIRC that moment was right in line with the rest of the movie. The whole story was about the struggle between personal vs. interpersonal needs and priorities and how that inherently makes any kind of relationship or agreement unpredictable. We see over and over again that all living things will make selfish decisions that can screw over another party in a relationship, from Em botching a safety meeting by plugging her side gigs, to Lucky staying in his trailer where he was safe and ruining Jupe's show. Holst was a passionate artist. From what I remember, everything we were shown implied that he lived alone and his work was his life. When a once-in-a-lifetime moment came, it doesn't seem out of character for a guy like that to risk everything in his single-minded pursuit of the impossible shot.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I just watched it, I thought it very good and was pleasantly surprised because the trailers did nothing to interest me in this movie, the reviews and spoilers did.

Anyways will def watch again, interesting take on the UFO concept and the animal message was good.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I really enjoyed this, more than Get Out probably (still haven't seen Us).

The constant feeling of dread throughout the whole movie was great. I really liked that every time you think you have the full picture, something worse happens immediately after. The recurring idea of the "Bad Miracle" I think kind of echoes all the sentiment about the past few years being a seemingly impossible chain of bad occurrences one right after the other, from COVID to Ukraine to the droughts and wild fires going on currently.

That one particular subplot everyone is debating struck me as a bizarre choice at first but the more I think about it the more I think I'm starting to get it:
Spoiler:
a hungry, animalistic predator that looks like a vehicle piloted by something intelligent is like a chimpanzee wearing clothes. It's human nature to see it and assume we can communicate with it, or even control it, because anything with clothes or a vehicle must be like us. But it's just an animal and it doesn't work by our rules, it doesn't have our morals, and if you anger it it will kill you in a heartbeat. It's a chillingly realistic portrayal of first contact with an alien entity that we underestimate because it looks friendly, just like how people underestimate wild animals over and over and get mauled or killed every year.
Also the third act made me feel a bit like I was watching a live-action
Spoiler:
Evangelion
movie, so that's a plus obviously.
Last edited by DrBreakfastMachine on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This is a movie that sticks in the mind and invites thought and interpretation. That alone is really great and something becoming rare in this climate of empty spectacle blockbusters.