Public Domain Kaiju/Monsters?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Kiryu2012
Xilien Halfling

Public Domain Kaiju/Monsters?

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Lately, I've been trying to find just how many kaiju and/or other monsters in media are in the public domain, be they from movies, books, or the like. I haven't had too much success thus far, and I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any noteworthy monsters that aren't under copyright? For the sake of discussion, real world mythologies won't be counted (so the likes of Jormungandr from Norse myth or Typhon from Greek myth don't count, for example).

From the top of my head and from what I've gathered:
-C'thulhu and Dagon from Lovecraft's work are of course public domain, as well as other monsters of Lovecraft's work that's not currently under copyright.
-Pellucidar is public domain, so the various creatures that appear in it could also be free to use, including the Mahar and other races.
-The 1932 novelization of King Kong is technically public domain, so theoretically the likes of Kong, the Meat Eater, and so on might be free to use, but Kong in particular is a huge legal complication that I imagine many wouldn't want to touch.
-TyrantisTerror has offered up their concept of retrosaurs as public domain, including the Transitional Tyrant, which is straight up based on kaiju like Godzilla, Gomora, Baragon, etc.
-The Lost World is also fair game, so there's more retrosaurs and the like that are free to use.
-I've found that The Giant Gila Monster is also public domain, as is The Killer Shrews.
-The Jabberwocky is also fair game, as are the other creatures/characters in Alice in Wonderland.
-I found out about the Pachimon series, but I've no idea if the kaiju present are free to use, considering they're often times designed after licensed kaiju like Godzilla and co.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy poop man.
My DA

LegendZilla
Keizer

Re: Public Domain Kaiju/Monsters?

Post by LegendZilla »

Over the next 20 years, we are going to see virtually every cultural icon invented in the early 20th century enter the public domain. The thought has really been capturing my interest lately. In 2029, the original King Kong film goes full public domain.

Kiryu2012
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Forgot about Reptisaurus, who's basically the public domain comic version of Reptilicus, considering it was originally meant to be a continuation of the film until the writers lost the license and made their own version.

Gorgo's comics are in the public domain as well, same with Konga, but I've no idea if this means that the kaiju themselves are public domain.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

gigan72 wrote:
Holy poop man.
My DA

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Unknown Island (1948) is public domain because its creators forgot to renew copyright until after it was released, so one could feasibly use its killer ground sloth, ceratosaurus/T. rex, and Dimetrodon.

Also, the idea of using Jabberwock as a kaiju is interesting, never thought about it that way.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
EDF Instructor

Post by shadowgigan »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:16 pm Over the next 20 years, we are going to see virtually every cultural icon invented in the early 20th century enter the public domain. The thought has really been capturing my interest lately. In 2029, the original King Kong film goes full public domain.
Fascinating topic that I've never really thought much of before. That really isn't a long ways off.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Speaking of literature, there are many you could do much with. Obviously, there is Journey to the Centre of Earth and Lost World, but you also have the Monster of Partridge Creek from the 1908 French story story, and The Monster of Lake Metrie from the 1800's, a plesiosaur with a human brain in it. I'm sure there are more.

Kiryu2012
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kiryu2012 »

The Internet tells me that Yongary is public domain, but I don't know if this means anyone could legally make their own version of him or what. Trying to find out if Gappa: The Triphibian Monster is public domain or not isn't giving me a concrete answer; the most I could find suggests that only a certain version of the movie is public domain, so the kaiju themselves are likely off the table.

gigan72 wrote:
Holy poop man.
My DA

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't think either of the Yongary movies are public domain. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet might be in the same dubious situation as the English versions of the Showa Gamera films.

Kiryu2012
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I've heard that Pulgasari is public domain, but the Internet hasn't given me much information in regards to that; at most, I found people's comments that it's public domain (as well as apparent plans that someone had for a Yongary vs Pulgasari crossover with the justification that they're in the public domain), so I don't know if this is truly the case, or if it's just like the Showa Gamera films in that only a version of the film is public domain.

gigan72 wrote:
Holy poop man.
My DA

mikelcho
Gotengo Officer

Post by mikelcho »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:29 am Speaking of literature, there are many you could do much with. Obviously, there is Journey to the Centre of Earth and Lost World, but you also have the Monster of Partridge Creek from the 1908 French short story, and The Monster of Lake Metrie from the 1800's, a plesiosaur with a human brain in it. I'm sure there are more.
What about The Caspak Trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs? That series might be in the public domain by now, I think. Can anyone say one way or the other?

Btw, Barnes & Noble once had a real good three-in-one paperback volume of this trilogy.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:11 pm I've heard that Pulgasari is public domain, but the Internet hasn't given me much information in regards to that
Even if it wasn't public domain, does anyone really give a poop about copyright laws regarding North Korean films that were only made because a foreign director was kidnapped by the North Korean government?

Distribute the hell out of it and stick Pulgasari in Ready Player One, for all I care.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Xilien Halfling

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:52 pm
Kiryu2012 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:11 pm I've heard that Pulgasari is public domain, but the Internet hasn't given me much information in regards to that
Even if it wasn't public domain, does anyone really give a poop about copyright laws regarding North Korean films that were only made because a foreign director was kidnapped by the North Korean government?

Distribute the hell out of it and stick Pulgasari in Ready Player One, for all I care.
I was thinking this. Why would what the NK government says about the matter… matter?
Showa, Queen ‘n Jesus. That’s all I need.

John Pannozzi
GPN Volunteer

Post by John Pannozzi »

The only Gamera film that is (maybe) public domain is Gammera the Invincible. According to the book included with Arrow Films' Limited Edition Gamera Blu-ray set, the AIP dubs for Gamera filma are still copyrighted (despite being included on various budget video labels under the assumption of public domain).
Friends don't lie.