Train to Busan (2016) and other Korean films

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Train to Busan (2016) and other Korean films

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello once again ladies and gentlemen, LZ here again. As we all know, for well over a decade now, South Korean cinema is going through something of a golden age, especially whenn it comes to the monster/horror department with such classics like The Host and The Wailing. In light of this, mind if I discuss the now-classic zombie apocalypse film Train to Busan? I just finished watching it and the ending actually tug at my heartstrings a bit.

What do you think of this movie? Also, what do you think the future holds for South Korean cinema? Feel free to elaborate.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Re: Train to Busan (2016) and other Korean films

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Awesome movie and it's getting a sequel too this year or next I believe.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

If you like the blend of Korea and zombies, try Netflix's Kingdom. It's brilliant and I believe season two was already confirmed. There's also Rampant, though I haven't seen it.

As far as overall cinema, Korea has some of the best (and consistently best) in the world these days.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I believe various people have been trying to get a live action adaptation of Robot Taekwon V going.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

Vandarker
G-Force Personnel

Post by Vandarker »

LegendZilla wrote:Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.
Sadly giant monster movies do horribly here because of the widespread notion that they are immature, and because some major disappointments like D-War gave the genre a bad name.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Vandarker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.
Sadly giant monster movies do horribly here because of the widespread notion that they are immature, and because some major disappointments like D-War gave the genre a bad name.
Easy now, if the Superhero genre in Hollywood can survive Batman and Robin, any honest Korean filmmaker who knows what he’s doing could get lucky and do the job right.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

I think some good entry films for folks here would be Bong Joon-ho's genre films (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja) and Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance).
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

tbeasley wrote:I think some good entry films for folks here would be Bong Joon-ho's genre films (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja) and Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance).
Building off of that:

My Way
Doomsday Book
Mother
Woochi
The Man From Nowhere
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
New World
I Saw the Devil
고질라

Vandarker
G-Force Personnel

Post by Vandarker »

tbeasley wrote:I think some good entry films for folks here would be Bong Joon-ho's genre films (The Host, Snowpiercer, Okja) and Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance).
Na Hong-Jin is an awesome filmmaker as well, so far he has made only three feature-length films (Chaser, The Yellow Sea and The Wailing) so far but all three are amazing films in their own right.
Last edited by Vandarker on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

As of now I've only seen three Korean films. Dragon Wars, several years back; I enjoyed the action and ignored everything else, so I might should give that one a proper rewatch. The Host, more recently; I didn't really know what to make of it. And then I just finished Train to Busan, which was very good. Kind of a standard disaster film with iffy writing in places, but intense and with some likeable characters. Also, trains. Too few monster movies take place on trains.

I'll be trying Parasite (not a monster movie, but still) soon, and I'll also definitely look into some of the recommendations from this thread.

EDIT: Oh, duh, I forgot the Yongarrys. The original was okay and had some decent effects, but was forgettable. The remake was very near the pinnacle of "so bad it's good!" cinema.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

(South) Korean films I've seen:

Yongary (original) = Its fun for what it is, but at the end of the day, its low rent Godzilla

Yongary (remake/reboot) = If the original Yongary is low rent Showa Godzilla, then this thing feels like an Asylum ripoff of the 98 Godzilla film. Yikes it is terrible.

Oldboy = Classic. What else is there to day?

The Host = Great creature feature! Loved it.

Train to Busan = One of the best zombie movies I've ever seen. I was reduced to a blubbering crying mess by the end of it.

Parasites = Not at all what I expected, but good Lord was it great!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Will confirm that Parasite was great. One of my favorite comedy films ever, now.

And I just got done with Space Sweepers. Not the most original thing in the world overall, but decent fun, and did have its share of uniqueness. The CGI was kind of shockingly great; it could easily have flown in an American blockbuster. South Korea really needs to make a new kaiju movie...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:27 am ^ Will confirm that Parasite was great. One of my favorite comedy films ever, now.

And I just got done with Space Sweepers. Not the most original thing in the world overall, but decent fun, and did have its share of uniqueness. The CGI was kind of shockingly great; it could easily have flown in an American blockbuster. South Korea really needs to make a new kaiju movie...

I've been thinking the same.

Of course, an original idea would be welcome, but at the same time: Toho thinks too small in imagining foreign coproductions as just "Hollywood." I'd love to see, say, a Korean or French Godzilla movie.

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Post by Vakanai »

I've seen:
Oldboy - Really good, really messed up classic!
The Host - Really unique giant monster movie, fantastic!
D-War - Mediocre but fine monster movie with some good CGI.
Yongary - Decent enough Showa era Godzilla ripoff.
Yongary remake - Bad 1998 Godzilla ripoff.

I wish South Korea would try another modern kaiju film with more mature sensibilities than D-War or the Yongary remake. I'm surprised The Host didn't inspire more attempts from them.
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm Here's an idea : What if South Korea did their own version of Godzilla? Yes, yes, I know it would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so, but hey Old boy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory.
I'd rather see them make their own unique kaiju again, whether a reboot Yongary or something entirely new, but I'd be fine with a Korean Godzilla movie.
Doubtful though. Getting the right to adapt a manga into film isn't the same as getting the rights to a multi-million dollar franchise spanning decades.
But I'd be up for it.
Angilasman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:27 am ^ Will confirm that Parasite was great. One of my favorite comedy films ever, now.

I've been thinking the same.

Of course, an original idea would be welcome, but at the same time: Toho thinks too small in imagining foreign coproductions as just "Hollywood." I'd love to see, say, a Korean or French Godzilla movie.
Have the French done any monster movie or big special effects type movie? Sorry, but my only knowledge of French cinema is the "artsy weird foreign film for snobby film critics" stereotype about them, which is exaggeration I'm guessing. Definitely would be willing to check out some spectacular French special effects sci0fi thing.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

^ I was just thinking of countries that have robust film industries... but I think Christophe Gans (who made Brotherhood of the Wolf and the - far superior to Disney's from around the same time - recent version of Beauty and the Beast) could make a neat Godzilla film.

I don't know much about the film industry in Africa, but how cool would it be to see a kaiju movie from there?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm Have the French done any monster movie or big special effects type movie? Sorry, but my only knowledge of French cinema is the "artsy weird foreign film for snobby film critics" stereotype about them, which is exaggeration I'm guessing. Definitely would be willing to check out some spectacular French special effects sci0fi thing.
A number of big-budget films from France have been made, including live-action adaptations of Asterix which are among the most expensive non-US films made (one of them had a budget exceeding $100 million). There are also big-budget French films which are English language and use actors associated with Hollywood, leading to films which people do not realize are actually French films and often have French directors. Such examples:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Taken trilogy
Fifth Element
Transporter quadrilogy
Anna
고질라

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Post by Vakanai »

Tohosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:55 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm Have the French done any monster movie or big special effects type movie? Sorry, but my only knowledge of French cinema is the "artsy weird foreign film for snobby film critics" stereotype about them, which is exaggeration I'm guessing. Definitely would be willing to check out some spectacular French special effects sci0fi thing.
A number of big-budget films from France have been made, including live-action adaptations of Asterix which are among the most expensive non-US films made (one of them had a budget exceeding $100 million). There are also big-budget French films which are English language and use actors associated with Hollywood, leading to films which people do not realize are actually French films and often have French directors. Such examples:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Taken trilogy
Fifth Element
Transporter quadrilogy
Anna
Interesting - like you said I wouldn't have guessed those were French films since they're English language with Hollywood actors.
Take the CGI of Valerian and the tone and style of the Taken films and you could have a pretty decent Godzilla movie.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.