The Dragon thread.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Dragon thread.

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

How to Train Your Dragon films and Reign of Fire are among the best dragon films IMO.

Also has anyone heard of The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly? I'm currently reading. Think Jurassic Park only with dragons.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote:What's the consensus on Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real? I always liked that one, too.

In fact, I had it on VHS once, but I lost it. Is it on DVD or Blu-ray?
I still have the DVD, I love that movie or whatever you want to call it! It was pretty spectacular I thought.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Its basically Walking With Dinosaurs but with dragons. Its even got a lot of the same team behind it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Vakanai wrote:
mikelcho wrote:What's the consensus on Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real? I always liked that one, too.

In fact, I had it on VHS once, but I lost it. Is it on DVD or Blu-ray?
I still have the DVD, I love that movie or whatever you want to call it! It was pretty spectacular I thought.
Thanks! Now that I know it's on DVD, I can get it!

In fact, I think it's a faux-documentary.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

Where do we fall on this surprisingly touchy subject...

Special: Of Dragons and Wyverns – Part 1
Here be Dragons.

When a dragon in a fantasy work — be it a novel, a film, or a videogame — is depicted as having just two wings (often also locomotory limbs) and two legs, the argument is often made that “it is not a dragon; it has two wings and two legs, therefore it is a wyvern, and should not be called a dragon“. This belief of an absolute dragon-wyvern dichotomy is held by surprisingly many as a sort of dogmatic truth — one that is radically false, in the face of actual data, history, literature and classical art saying otherwise. Of course, in no way a completely arbitrary classification reflects the plasticity of the word dragon, as well as the concept(s) of dragon.

Allow me thus to take you readers into a flying journey through the fantastic and languages, and explain why dragons can have as many limbs and wings as they please and still be called dragons.
https://monsterlegacy.net/2020/04/01/sp ... ns-part-1/

And Part 2 -
https://monsterlegacy.net/2020/04/01/sp ... ns-part-2/
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I don't know if the "birds" from Evolution (2001) count as dragons but since they look like dragons, I'll put 'em here.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

tbeasley wrote:Where do we fall on this surprisingly touchy subject...

Here be Dragons.

When a dragon in a fantasy work — be it a novel, a film, or a videogame — is depicted as having just two wings (often also locomotory limbs) and two legs, the argument is often made that “it is not a dragon; it has two wings and two legs, therefore it is a wyvern, and should not be called a dragon“. This belief of an absolute dragon-wyvern dichotomy is held by surprisingly many as a sort of dogmatic truth — one that is radically false, in the face of actual data, history, literature and classical art saying otherwise. Of course, in no way a completely arbitrary classification reflects the plasticity of the word dragon, as well as the concept(s) of dragon.

Allow me thus to take you readers into a flying journey through the fantastic and languages, and explain why dragons can have as many limbs and wings as they please and still be called dragons.

And Part 2 -
This is something I have never given a poop about and never will. A dragon is a dragon and anyone who freaks out about "IF IT HAS TWO LEGS IT'S A WYVERN" is immediately disregarded
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

G2000 wrote:

Here be Dragons.

And Part 2 -
This is something I have never given a poop about and never will. A dragon is a dragon and anyone who freaks out about "IF IT HAS TWO LEGS IT'S A WYVERN" is immediately disregarded
Exactly! Besides, most old depictions of western folktale dragons have it in the "wyvern" body type (albeit bipedal).

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Here be Dragons.

And Part 2 -
Very easy.

If it's called In-Universe a Dragon, it's a dragon.

I wager the people in-universe know more about the world's bestiary than I, so why not take their word?
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

People talk about the Skeletons all the time but to me it's all about THIS guy -
~ Tyler

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

Speaking of Stopmotion dragons..

I need to get back to watching this film one of these days.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

The Maledict (Dr. Malcolm Betruger) from Doom 3 is a pretty neat design -
~ Tyler

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

tbeasley wrote:The Maledict (Dr. Malcolm Betruger) from Doom 3 is a pretty neat design -
Really sucks that you only get to fight him in the Resurrection of Evil expansion pack; he's a much more satisfying final boss than the weakass Cyberdemon fight in the original Doom 3
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

From the pre-Fantastic Four days of Marvel Comics the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby creation whose name means "He whose limbs shatter mountains, and back scrapes the sun." ,FIN FANG FOOM.
Who might be showing up in the upcoming SHANG-CHI & SECRET OF THE TEN RINGS MCU flick.
And FFF's Russian counterpart, GROGG.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

Another Doom dragon, this time from Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 -

~ Tyler

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Why does Fin Fang Foom wear shorts. It's like his entire character is a parody of himself.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm Why does Fin Fang Foom wear shorts. It's like his entire character is a parody of himself.
Marvel can't risk showing Fin Fang Foom's Big Bang Boom-stick since he'll need to be covered up down there in the MCU adaptation.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:04 pm Speaking of Stopmotion dragons..

I need to get back to watching this film one of these days.
That dragon always shows up on Q.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

So are any of the DTV CGI dragon films any good? I'm thinking of things like Dragon Hunter (2009); Age of Dragons (2011); Dragon Storm (2004); and Dragon Fighter (2004).

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm Why does Fin Fang Foom wear shorts. It's like his entire character is a parody of himself.
Fin Fang Foom does as he pleases

~ Tyler