The Slurpasaur thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

The Slurpasaur thread

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Inspired by how the First Kaiju Fight thread has been derailed by debates about the merits of slurpasaurs, the techniwue of using real life animals to represent more fantastical ones, like dinosaurs, dragons, or whatnot, I hereby create a thread for them.

Personally I don't like them at all, viewing them as bottom of the barrel FX wise. I mean, making substandard physical models and costumes at least takes some effort, and even when bad at least doesn't stress out some poor animal.
Just about the only way I can like slurpasaurs would be if you dress the animal up in a costume, like when Star Wars used an elephant to portray the bantha, and Solo using dogs for the Cordellian hounds.

Similar thing happens for the shrews in the Killer Shrews, and even it wasn't too good.

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Slurpasaur thread

Post by Vakanai »

Like I said in that other thread, for older movies I still contend it had less to do with being lazy/not putting much effort into it, and more a matter of cost and cheapness.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I present: the last true use of slurpasaurs!

Added in 59 seconds:
For context, those are supposed to be aurochs. Not the best effect, obviously.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been told that the best Slurpasaur was in silent version of The Mysterious Island.

Last edited by H-Man on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

I just don't like it when animals are poked and prodded and made to fight/harm/kill each other. It's bad enough you have to dress them up/glue poop to them/etc.
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

One of the earlier examples was Nessie in The Secret of the Loch (1934):

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I will be honest, I do like how its used in One Million Years BC... 1966.

Its pretty much a homage to this kind of thing, and is pretty tense.

There's also the use of horses with horns put on their head to stand in for unicorns or have wings digitally inserted for pegasi. Think Blade Runner, Legend (1985), or old Tristar logo and Eyewitness: Horse.

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/X4OHa1Y-es8[/YouTube]
I do feel its much easier to stomach then most other uses.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:11 am I will be honest, I do like how its used in One Million Years BC... 1966.

I wonder if it was included as a way of Harryhausen saying, "This is how it was done before. Now get ready for the way it should be done."

It is interesting that the giant iguana was the final slurpasaur of the original and the first creature to appear in the remake.

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker

Post by Al Diplodocus »

H-Man wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 am
Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:11 am I will be honest, I do like how its used in One Million Years BC... 1966.

I wonder if it was included as a way of Harryhausen saying, "This is how it was done before. Now get ready for the way it should be done."

It is interesting that the giant iguana was the final slurpasaur of the original and the first creature to appear in the remake.
Interesting interpretation. Also note a spider appears in a similar way.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 am I just don't like it when animals are poked and prodded and made to fight/harm/kill each other. It's bad enough you have to dress them up/glue poop to them/etc.
This absolutely. Humanity had/(has) this weird idea that everything was theirs to use as they pleased, and that included innocent lives.

Super-gluing spikes on a Tegu, or an alligator, or a fish etc is straight up abuse. Then to have them fight to the death so they could have a scene to sell their movie? It's all around a gross concept.

Added in 1 minute :
H-Man wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:07 am One of the earlier examples was Nessie in The Secret of the Loch (1934):

This is hilarious and I love it. (at least here it seems to be done respectfully)

Nessie is actually a medium sized Iguana everyone, that's my new headcanon.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Major sssspielberg!
G-Force Personnel

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

When I saw people using the word "slurpasaur" on the other thread I was like "uh.... what?"
Now that we're here I'm glad I know it's not some R34 junk :lol:
Seriously though I find the slurpasaur to suck more than slurp. Not only is it animal abuse but the final product typically is inferior to stop motion critters, and I've never been the biggest fan of stop motion. Still, better to have the hErkY jErKy monsters than what amounts to documentation of animal abuse.
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

Now onto the most famous of them all: One Million B.C. (1940)

This actually got an Oscar nomination for Best Special Effects, but lost to The Thief of Baghdad.

Footage of the infamous dueling reptiles showed up in:

Tarzan's Desert Mystery (1943)
Two Lost Worlds (1951)
Jungle Manhunt (1951)
Untamed Women (1952)
Robot Monster (1953)
King Dinosaur (1955) -- which also created new slurpasaur footage as well
Teenage Caveman (1957)
Valley of the Dragons (1961)
Isla de los Dinosaurios (Mexico, 1966) -- which borrowed footage from King Dinosaur as well
Horror of the Blood Monsters (aka Vampire Men of the Lost Planet) (1970)
Last edited by H-Man on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Yeah, its infamous.

Nowadays, if you're doing slurpasaurs, it always in a tongue in cheek way, referencing these kind of B-movies of yesteryear, and people often using their pet lizards/snakes or turtles for it, often as amateur or fan films films that can't afford CG, or are just comedies (like say, the Gila Monster series).

Heck, I think the reason the heyday of the slurpasaur technique was popular because at the time, the public wasn't familiar with reptiles and dismissed them as alien, unfeeling creatures they'd only see in remote places or at zoos, with pet reptiles being fairly niche; as a result, moviemakers exploited the sense of unease audiences had towards reptiles. Nowadays, reptiles are fairly popular pets and and we're more educated on how fascinating they truly are.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

Probably the next one to feature "original" slurpasaur footage was King Dinosaur (1955), in which an iguana with a horn on its snout plays a Tyrannosaurus Rex. No, I'm not lying. At one point, it fights a baby crocodilian of sorts while a Tegu looks on.

Last edited by H-Man on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am Inspired by how the First Kaiju Fight thread has been derailed by debates about the merits of slurpasaurs, the techniwue of using real life animals to represent more fantastical ones, like dinosaurs, dragons, or whatnot, I hereby create a thread for them.

Personally I don't like them at all, viewing them as bottom of the barrel FX wise. I mean, making substandard physical models and costumes at least takes some effort, and even when bad at least doesn't stress out some poor animal.
Just about the only way I can like slurpasaurs would be if you dress the animal up in a costume, like when Star Wars used an elephant to portray the bantha, and Solo using dogs for the Cordellian hounds.

Similar thing happens for the shrews in the Killer Shrews, and even it wasn't too good.
I've seen both The Killer Shrews and The Giant Gila Monster (which were a double feature in 1959 and directed by Ray Kellogg, who would later co-direct The Green Berets with John Wayne in 1968) and they're among my favorite so-bad-it's-good monster movies.

The first film actually made a sequel in 2012 (Return of the Killer Shrews) and the second film was remade for TV in the same year (Gila!). In fact, the time span between the two Killer Shrews films (1959-2012, 53 years) is one of the longest time periods of release between a film and its sequel.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Giant lizards, and a snake, were also used in The Cyclops.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:22 pm Giant lizards, and a snake, were also used in The Cyclops.
I need to watch that again. I saw it for the first time on TNT's MonsterVision on Christmas Day circa 1993. That was the same MonsterVision that I saw From Hell it Came, The Giant Claw and I taped Valley of the Dragons. I fell asleep before that ended and missed The Werewolf.

Moving on, 1957 gave us The Land Unknown. That movie used every special effects method short of stop-motion to do its dinosaurs: puppets, old school animatronics, man-in-a-suit, and yes, a pair of dueling monitor lizards.

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Not even Godzilla itself is immune to this. Oodako in KKvG was in part played by a live octopus on a miniature set (when not as a ouppet or stop motion).

Poor thing must be terrified out of its wits and skin.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Southern Mammoth
Ronin

Post by Southern Mammoth »

I've actually got One Million B.C in my collection, from Japan ironically, its a intreasting film for its time but its full of animal abuse. A cow gets brained with a stick, elephants have hair and fake tusks stuck to them which is clearly irritating them, a snake gets eaten while on screen and many lizards were likely hurt in the final volcano scene. The final lizard the tribe fights is no better off as it gets jabbed with a tiny spear. The aligator lizard fight is just wrong but it's outcome is works. I'm not shore if it was due to the alligator or is someone just cut the poor things throat but you literarily watch it bleed out, and I'm inclined to think it real as the bleeding seems to be in time with it's pulse.

King Dinosaur is probable the next worse or just as bad, the Iguana used is force to fight a baby alligator and there are times when it clear that they are actually being held close to eachother to make them bite. Done likely because in reality a poor Iguana is not going to really stand a chance. The worse part is that once the fight's over the Iguana runs of an is not only bleeding but one of it's legs is clearly badly hurt from the death roll it suffered. Yet it's force to keep performing.

These are the two worse offenders in my eyes though many other films are little better when the animels are made to fight.

Another overlooked example are the dimetrodons in Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I'm fairly shore one is stabbed in the mouth with a mini-spear given its reaction.

As someone said above this was often not done because anyone though it was more realistic, most stop motion films of the time put them to shame. I was done purely for budget reasons, or just to be cheap. That said is all shows a clear lack of caring for the animels well being.
Last edited by Southern Mammoth on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I wonder if many of the staff knew how wrong and disturbing it was but felt they had no choice, or if these were done in a single take.