What do you consider the first kaiju fight?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

What do you consider the first kaiju fight?

Post by edgaguirus »

I would say that this question also involves how you define kaiju, but that's not the point of this topic. The point is what would you consider the first kaiju battle- the first fight between two giant creatures. The 1925 The Lost World has the first dinosaur fights, but I'd say the first kaiju fight would be the 1933 Kong vs the T-Rex. It's a good throw down, and has been imitated by other movies.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

Voyager
EDF Instructor

Re: What do you consider the first kaiju fight?

Post by Voyager »

Godzilla vs Anguirus in GRA. I do not consider anything before G54 truly 'Kaiju' films.
I will serve the nation and protect it, preserving the freedom and liberty all citizens have the right to. For Australia! For Democracy!

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Godzilla vs Anguirus. Can't really think of anything else.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've always considered it to be Kong vs. Tyrannosaurus from the '33 film. :)

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I'd say in my book its that one slurpasaur fight from the 1940 One Million Years; its in the sense of being creatures not based on any real one and are strange creatures, which kaiju literally means.

Honestly, the fights in Losat World 1925 are of dinosaurs which are clearly real creatures with explanation, and a similar case occurs in King Kong 33; even Kong is clearly an ape. These guys? You can't get an idea of what these reptiles are besides the minimum of that.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

KK42
Keizer

Post by KK42 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:08 am These guys? You can't get an idea of what these reptiles are besides the minimum of that.
If I could hazard a guess, I think one is a caiman and the other is a tegu. :P

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:52 am
Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:08 am These guys? You can't get an idea of what these reptiles are besides the minimum of that.
You're right, but the first one's also a baby caiman. Adult caimans are bigger than tegus.

I wonder why, after it killed the tegu (at least, I think it did), the baby caiman didn't even try to eat it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:08 am I'd say in my book its that one slurpasaur fight from the 1940 One Million Years; its in the sense of being creatures not based on any real one and are strange creatures, which kaiju literally means.

Honestly, the fights in Losat World 1925 are of dinosaurs which are clearly real creatures with explanation, and a similar case occurs in King Kong 33; even Kong is clearly an ape. These guys? You can't get an idea of what these reptiles are besides the minimum of that.
Okay, counts for me!

Dyrakro
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dyrakro »

Voyager wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 pm Godzilla vs Anguirus in GRA. I do not consider anything before G54 truly 'Kaiju' films.
I don't consider any film outside of Japan to be a Kaiju movie at all. Like you can call the monsters in Pacific Rim Kaijus. But that's kind of like calling Zilla Godzilla to me

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

No what I mean is, these creatures clearly aren't dinosaurs, but they aren't reptiles we know of. Everyone doesn't know of its biology or potential evolutionary history.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 am
You're right, but the first one's also a baby caiman. Adult caimans are bigger than tegus.

I wonder why, after it killed the tegu (at least, I think it did), the baby caiman didn't even try to eat it.
As the owner of two tegus I both find the fact that one was actually used in a borderline giant monster movie pretty cool, yet I'm totally not cool with what they put the animal through to film that.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 am

As the owner of two tegus I both find the fact that one was actually used in a borderline giant monster movie pretty cool, yet I'm totally not cool with what they put the animal through to film that.
I couldn't agree with you more. Doing something like that today would instantly be considered animal cruelty and dealt with both quickly and accordingly.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:54 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 am You're right, but the first one's also a baby caiman. Adult caimans are bigger than tegus.

I couldn't agree with you more. Doing something like that today would instantly be considered animal cruelty and dealt with both quickly and accordingly.
Absolutely, it's insane to me how there were little to no regulations in regard to using and/or killing animals in films way back then.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jetty_Jags
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I read the wiki-page and it suggested this movie advanced animal rights concerns in film in general because of that scene.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Post by Vakanai »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:21 am I've always considered it to be Kong vs. Tyrannosaurus from the '33 film. :)
This. I disagree that only Japanese films can be kaiju films. The Japanese consider King Kong a kaiju, so it's pretty silly how some of us argue over it,
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

I think that slurpasaur fight footage was used in Robot Monster.

As I said before, the answer largely depends on how you define a kaiju. I enjoy the variety of opinion these kinds of discussion can generate.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 pm Godzilla vs Anguirus in GRA. I do not consider anything before G54 truly 'Kaiju' films.
Yep. This is the only correct and right answer.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Voyager
EDF Instructor

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:45 am
Yep. This is the only correct and right answer.
Amen brother.
I will serve the nation and protect it, preserving the freedom and liberty all citizens have the right to. For Australia! For Democracy!

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:04 pm I think that slurpasaur fight footage was used in Robot Monster.

As I said before, the answer largely depends on how you define a kaiju. I enjoy the variety of opinion these kinds of discussion can generate.
Yes, and not just in Robot Monster, but in practically any 1940s to 1960s film that needed dinosaur scenes but couldn't be bothered to do it the hard way and use stop-motion models and techniques. Look up the Legacy section of the Wikipedia article for One Million B.C. to see which films got this treatment.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
Gotengo Officer

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:03 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:04 pm I think that slurpasaur fight footage was used in Robot Monster.

Yes, and not just in Robot Monster, but in practically any 1940s to 1960s film that needed dinosaur scenes but couldn't be bothered to do it the hard way and use stop-motion models and techniques. Look up the Legacy section of the Wikipedia article for One Million B.C. to see which films got this treatment.
I think that's a bit unfair - for many it was less about not doing it the hard way and more the inability to afford it. We can and should fault them for animal cruelty, but not for any perceived laziness when the truth is they were working with limited resources/on a budget and on a schedule.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.