IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh neat Battra! Not exactly a rival but like hey it isn't a super obvious one like Mothra or King Ghidorah.
I mean I'd rather take a good one shot with an obvious rival over a middling one shot with an unexpected rival like Gabera.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:12 pm Image
GODZILLA RIVALS VS BATTRA ONESHOT
​(W) Rosie Knight (A/CA) Oliver Ono
In a quiet beachside town ravaged by constant sewage spillages and toxic waste dumps, something is stirring. Deep under the rolling hills that surround Hackney-on-Sea, Battra is awakening, driven by a single goal: to destroy mankind and save planet Earth. The only one who can stop him is Godzilla, but he hasn't been seen in decades and has never ventured to the cold shores of the English coast... until now. Robbie runs a small bookshop, but her real passion is monsters. She's spent years researching the myth of Godzilla and his fearsome foes, and now that hypothetical experience is about to become a life-saving tool. Can Robbie locate Godzilla? Will Godzilla alone be enough to defeat Battra? Is Battra really wrong? And will the goddess Mothra make an appearance?
In Shops: Jun 29, 2022
SRP: $7.99
I’m happy to see Battra back in the spotlight. Always felt like a monster that could have been much more but was swatted away to the side. As mentioned, I love the inclusion of it over Ghidorah or something. I love the cover as well. However, one thing that’s sort of annoying is the mention of Mothra. I would sort of like to see a Battra story that separates Battra from Mothra and establishes it with more of an identity of its own.

While I doubt they’ll do that, the mention of pollution reminds me of the Gigamoth proposal.

Now when will rivals Ghidorah get released? And will this be 5/5 or will they make more?

Edit: I looked up Oliver Ono’s art, and it’s real nice. Simple and modern, but nicely detailed:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

There's also this:

GODZILLA BEST OF GODZILLA ONESHOT
Since the dawn of the Cold War, one monster has reigned supreme-Godzilla! Now, in this first issue in a series of reprints that showcases some of the greatest Godzilla comic book stories ever told by a variety of superstar writers and artists, find out why Godzilla is the undisputed King of the Monsters. And at almost a hundred pages, this comic is nearly as gargantuan as its monstrous star!
In Shops: Jun 15, 2022
SRP: $6.99
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:20 pm I’m happy to see Battra back in the spotlight. Always felt like a monster that could have been much more but was swatted away to the side. As mentioned, I love the inclusion of it over Ghidorah or something. I love the cover as well. However, one thing that’s sort of annoying is the mention of Mothra. I would sort of like to see a Battra story that separates Battra from Mothra and establishes it with more of an identity of its own.

While I doubt they’ll do that, the mention of pollution reminds me of the Gigamoth proposal.
I get what you're saying, and I do hope that this issue is able to focus heavily on Battra before Mothra gets involved, but he is the "Black Mothra", after all! That contrast of morals with Mothra is the main thing that makes the character memorable. But yeah, I do hope Mothra is regulated to a comparatively brief appearance.

It'd be cool to see a sort of "what if" story where Battra actually defeats/kills Mothra to see how he goes about wiping out humanity.
Now when will rivals Ghidorah get released? And will this be 5/5 or will they make more?
The trade only collects four issues, so barring the series being cancelled, I imagine that means we'll be getting at least eight.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hmmm, “Best of Godzilla”. I wonder what you’d be able to include in that, assuming it’s only IDW.

Godzilla in Hell Issue 1 (honestly any issue from that series would work well here).
-Godzilla Rage Across Time Issue 1 (2 would also work)
-Godzilla Legends 4

If they decide to include anything from the ongoing series:
-Godzilla Rulers of the Earth Issue 8 (where it’s Godzilla vs Gaira and Sanda and is pretty solo).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Amazing that we already have the next two issues of Rivals announced but every time as soon as it's a week out from release, Vs. King Ghidorah gets delayed by another two weeks. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Vs. Gigan and Vs. Battra come out before it does.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

King of the Monsters wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:37 am Amazing that we already have the next two issues of Rivals announced but every time as soon as it's a week out from release, Vs. King Ghidorah gets delayed by another two weeks. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Vs. Gigan and Vs. Battra come out before it does.
Aaaaaaand its happened again, now set for April 27th. This comic, I swear...

The year is 2028. Legendary Pictures has just released their latest Monsterverse film, Godzilla, Gamera, & Kong: Destroy All Monsters, following last year's smash-hit Shin Godzilla 2 in Japan. IDW has just announced that Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah has been delayed another two weeks.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wonder what is causing this delay. The artist? The editor? Stock/inventory problems (it’s not MMPR or any other comics had any issue coming out). I’m honestly annoyed at this point, as it sort of completely derailed any hype the rivals series had.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kinda wish in Rulers of Earth Ghidorah kept his manes and original horns.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

According to a user on Wikizilla, apparently the delay has to do with some sort of actor-likeness issue, or something related to that.

In any case the artwork is pretty cool:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm According to a user on Wikizilla, apparently the delay has to do with some sort of actor-likeness issue, or something related to that.

In any case the artwork is pretty cool:
That was just speculative; the artist didn't share any specifics since he doesn't want to get in trouble, which is more than understandable. Even so, I'd be interested in hearing about what happened one day.

Sucks that its been delayed so much, but I find it a little amusing that, for a short time at least, Rivals has gone from a quarterly series to a monthly series with issues 3, 4, and 5 being released in April, May, and June.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Just noticed that the 5th issue of Rivals has been updated with a new cover; apparently now it is the first issue of Rivals II. Pretty much confirms we'll be seeing more of these, presumably three more.

Also, Rivals #3 finally comes out this week - for real this time!

One the flip side, it looks like the Gigan and Battra issues have been delayed another month each...

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

So that's 4 instead of 5 for Rival 1?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:56 pm So that's 4 instead of 5 for Rival 1?
Rivals 1:
vs. Hedorah
Vs. Mothra
Vs. Ghidorah
Vs. Gigan

Rivals 2:
Vs. Battra
(presumably at least 3 more)

They'll want to sell these in trade, and given these a bit longer than normal comics, 4 would be enough)

Looking forward to 3 and MMPR this week!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh right they are longer comics so I don't know how dramatic the trades will be...then again I think they're pairing up? So volume 1 is Hedorah and Mothra? Hmmm 3 more what else? Probably a Mechagodzilla. Oh what if they did Zilla? That'd be a neat thing to see again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:03 pm Oh right they are longer comics so I don't know how dramatic the trades will be...then again I think they're pairing up? So volume 1 is Hedorah and Mothra? Hmmm 3 more what else? Probably a Mechagodzilla. Oh what if they did Zilla? That'd be a neat thing to see again.
I believe it'll be all four of the issues for volume 1. They usually do 5 standard issues a release, so it'll be about slightly more than that.

Zilla would be cool. Mechagodzilla would be laaaaaame. MG has had a gigantic focus in nearly each of the series, both as an antagonist and supporting character. KOM+Ongoing+GROE as a mech, and antagonist. It's nearly appeared in almost all the other spinoffs, too much exposure. If they bring MG back, make it worth our time.

I'd really like to see:
Orga
Titanosaurus
Rodan
(Rodan is overused too, but we surprisingly have very little Rodan vs. Godzilla in the comics).

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I'd like Rodan too. Hey if I get Mechagodzilla I too can be won over if it's a good story. Orga and Titanosaurus would be good too.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:03 pm
daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:03 pm Oh right they are longer comics so I don't know how dramatic the trades will be...then again I think they're pairing up? So volume 1 is Hedorah and Mothra? Hmmm 3 more what else? Probably a Mechagodzilla. Oh what if they did Zilla? That'd be a neat thing to see again.
I believe it'll be all four of the issues for volume 1. They usually do 5 standard issues a release, so it'll be about slightly more than that.

Zilla would be cool. Mechagodzilla would be laaaaaame. MG has had a gigantic focus in nearly each of the series, both as an antagonist and supporting character. KOM+Ongoing+GROE as a mech, and antagonist. It's nearly appeared in almost all the other spinoffs, too much exposure. If they bring MG back, make it worth our time.

I'd really like to see:
Orga
Titanosaurus
Rodan
(Rodan is overused too, but we surprisingly have very little Rodan vs. Godzilla in the comics).
I agree, but I know we will get MechaG in some form so eh. I'd take Orga, SpaceG, and Destroyah. Btw, LSD Did You get my messages about what I sent you? My pms are kinda wonky

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:03 pm

I'd really like to see:
Orga
Titanosaurus
Rodan
Ironically, now that you've brought it up, I realize we haven't seen Mechagodzilla in any comics in a loooong time. They stopped using him in their later series; outside of Oblivion, he hasn't been seen in the last like six or seven titles they've released. That being said, I also have absolutely no desire to see MG again either, its honestly been refreshing to take a break from him. Kinda hoping Mothra can take a bit of a vacation from comics for a while too, excluding Rivals II: Vs. Battra.

For future issues, even though Titanosaurus had a great issue of Legends in his name, you can never have too much Titano. I'm always down for any issues that put the spotlight on those "secondary" kaiju who haven't been the main opponent of their films, like Baragon, Varan, Gorosaurus, Manda, etc. Or the likes of the Gargantuas. Would kind of prefer more Showa in general, a lot of Heisei characters have been used a lot.

Vs. Megalon is all but guaranteed for next year. The real question is - do they have the cohones to give us a full issue of Godzilla Vs. Jet Jaguar??

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh yeah. I was remembering MechaGodzilla from Godzilla Rulers of Earth (as both Kiryu and Showa MG) but you’re totally right about MG being ignored as of late. Didn’t make an appearance in Godzilla in Hell, Rage Across time, or in Monsters and Portectors. I guess it has been a while.

Sure, Titanosaurus got a great Legends Issue 3, but if I’m remembering properly, Titanosaurus only got a few panels in the entry, didn’t fight Godzilla, and was a very character -focused issue. It was great, but didn’t satisfy that Godzilla X Titano rematch in my heart. Titanosaurus has always occupied a weird part of my heart, where he’s portrayed as a monster at least equal to physical strength as Godzilla, but has never really been able to fight him solo, either in film or comic; id love an issue solely revolving around Godzilla and Titano.

And yes, imposterzilla, I’ll reply to your pms. Give me a day or two.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:08 am Oh yeah. I was remembering MechaGodzilla from Godzilla Rulers of Earth (as both Kiryu and Showa MG) but you’re totally right about MG being ignored as of late. Didn’t make an appearance in Godzilla in Hell, Rage Across time, or in Monsters and Portectors. I guess it has been a while.

Sure, Titanosaurus got a great Legends Issue 3, but if I’m remembering properly, Titanosaurus only got a few panels in the entry, didn’t fight Godzilla, and was a very character -focused issue. It was great, but didn’t satisfy that Godzilla X Titano rematch in my heart. Titanosaurus has always occupied a weird part of my heart, where he’s portrayed as a monster at least equal to physical strength as Godzilla, but has never really been able to fight him solo, either in film or comic; id love an issue solely revolving around Godzilla and Titano.

And yes, imposterzilla, I’ll reply to your pms. Give me a day or two.
I was also thinking MG wasn't in Cataclysm, but I forgot Kiryu made a one-panel cameo. But I digress.

And I completely agree with your assessment of Titanosaurus, I've long believed him to be a underutilized character with great potential. Personally I've always thought it would be cool to see him as an ally of Godzilla, a la Gorosaurus in DAM, but at the same time, it would be nice to see him pit that unusually impressive physical strength against Godzilla one-on-one. Hopefully we will see more of him in future comics, as well as others that have been used even less in these comics like Gorosaurus, Varan, Baragon, etc.