IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:48 pm I'm very pleased to hear the news! I was a big fan of IDW's Godzilla run; had its ups and downs but a very strong run overall. Favorite series were Legends, Gangsters & Goliaths, ROE, and of course, Half-Century War. I met Matt Frank and Jeff Zornow a couple of times; I hope they're attached to some of these new projects in some capacity! Very passionate fans. Maybe they can get James Stokoe back, too.

I certainly don't mind a series aimed at a younger audience - it's good to branch out and get new fans! - but I do hope they have more planned outside of that.

Also, I made up a little "appearance scorecard" a few years back - a visual list of every kaiju as they appear in every IDW comic series. If anyone's interested I can post it here, it's on a flash drive somewhere.
You bet I'd like to see it! I wrote down a similar list and I'd love to compare it to yours.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:39 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:48 pm I'm very pleased to hear the news! I was a big fan of IDW's Godzilla run; had its ups and downs but a very strong run overall. Favorite series were Legends, Gangsters & Goliaths, ROE, and of course, Half-Century War. I met Matt Frank and Jeff Zornow a couple of times; I hope they're attached to some of these new projects in some capacity! Very passionate fans. Maybe they can get James Stokoe back, too.

I certainly don't mind a series aimed at a younger audience - it's good to branch out and get new fans! - but I do hope they have more planned outside of that.

Also, I made up a little "appearance scorecard" a few years back - a visual list of every kaiju as they appear in every IDW comic series. If anyone's interested I can post it here, it's on a flash drive somewhere.
You bet I'd like to see it! I wrote down a similar list and I'd love to compare it to yours.
Apologies for the delay, I've been very busy lately but I finally found it. However, I want to edit a few things on it so I'll post it later this week. I'll make a separate thread for it so it doesn't eventually get lost in the shuffle; put a lot of effort into it way back when.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:39 pm

Apologies for the delay, I've been very busy lately but I finally found it. However, I want to edit a few things on it so I'll post it later this week. I'll make a separate thread for it so it doesn't eventually get lost in the shuffle; put a lot of effort into it way back when.
Thanks! As soon as you post your list, I'll post mine after it.

Mixtape Nostalgia
Yojimbo

Post by Mixtape Nostalgia »

I am in the middle of reading the IDW series. So far I am very pleased with what I am reading. I finished Legends and Half Century War and those we fantastic. I am not tackling GaG and RoE.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mixtape Nostalgia wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:40 pm I am in the middle of reading the IDW series. So far I am very pleased with what I am reading. I finished Legends and Half Century War and those we fantastic. I am not tackling GaG and RoE.
Any reason why? GaG has a unique story, and RoE has a lot of fun monster action! Worth the read!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mixtape Nostalgia
Yojimbo

Post by Mixtape Nostalgia »

Opps, that was a typo. I meant to say I was indeed going to "tackle" those. Although since I am already here I'll mention that Legends' different artists and focuses on different kaiju really gives some needed variety into the series. A very welcome breathe of fresh air. Half Century war was also nice even it is more conventional, but still has great cameos and references so nothing is dull. I am particularly fond of Deverich. That's making fun of the Godzilla from 98 right? It made me chuckle.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

IDW’s new title will be called “Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors.”

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/sta ... 65313?s=19
Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

kaijukurt wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm IDW’s new title will be called “Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors.”
Good find. Looking it up now, there's also the logo -

Looks like a futurey kind of setting, maybe? Would certainly be neat if so.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Looks great! Love Dan Schoening's art style, seeing Godzilla adapted in it is a huge plus.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm IDW’s new title will be called “Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors.”

How absolutely lovely. Great art style, and the destruction indicates that while it'll be more kid friendly it won't be a complete wash. I'm looking forward to monthly reviews on these things. If it came out sooner I could use it in my "Teaching Young Adult Literature Class". Shame.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

DIg the art style. Cartoony and suitable for young'uns, but at the same time looks like a natural fit for Godzilla!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

When I was a little kid the Rulers of the Earth art style was badass, this seems like a step down.

But I was always of the mind that little ones deserve the same quality as the older audience both visually and thematically, especially for something as expansive and generational as Godzilla. I'll keep my mind open to it though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:21 am When I was a little kid the Rulers of the Earth art style was badass, this seems like a step down.

But I was always of the mind that little ones deserve the same quality as the older audience both visually and thematically, especially for something as expansive and generational as Godzilla. I'll keep my mind open to it though.
Even though I’m on board with Schoening's art style, that’s a good point. Stuff like Godzilla: The Series, and the Heisei/Millennium films were still directed to kids too (the GMK/Hamtaro doubleheader comes to mind). Plus lots of kids were excited for KOTM.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I dunno, I’m not really looking at it as a “simpler art style for kids”, just IDW utilizing one of their existing artists. Dan’s done work for Ghostbusters and TMNT and I would exactly call those kid-oriented series.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The synopsis reminds me of the Random House novels, nice!

https://www.scifijapan.com/articles/20 ... pril-2021/
Writer: Erik Burnham
Artist: Dan Schoening
Colorist: Luis Antonio Delgado
Cover A: Dan Schoening
Cover B: Photo Cover by Vic Hollins

Tentative In-Store Date: April 2021
Pages: 36
Cover Price: $4.99

Godzilla roars back into comics with a giant-sized first issue! Extra story and extra content mark the King of Monsters’ triumphant return!

“Rise Up!” Part 1: When a coldly single-minded businessman uses an untested element to create clean energy for a profit, he inadvertently awakens the beast from the deep — Godzilla! Sensing the harm the new energy poses to the planet, Godzilla attacks the heart of the problem — humankind! It will be up to three intrepid middle-school students — with a little magic help from Infant Island — to show Godzilla that not all humans are bad… and that there is still hope for Planet Earth.

Reuniting the blockbuster creative team of writer Erik Burnham, artist Dan Schoening, and colorist Luis Antonio Delgado (Ghostbusters), Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors promises to romp and stomp fans — old and new — of the greatest kaiju ever like never before!
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Well people have asked to step back into the Showa era look etc. and here it is! Will be a fun read.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

That artwork isn't working for me. I've seen Schoening's work before and it's amazing stuff, but here it's not working for me. If he was aloud to go all out on it, then it would be a hundred times better.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Who knows? If this storyline catches on, maybe we'll finally get that Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 one-shot issue that I've always wanted and that (I think) should've been done long ago.

In fact, why not hope that the mainstream storyline will continue and that it'll add Minilla and Ganimes?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:58 am Who knows? If this storyline catches on, maybe we'll finally get that Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 one-shot issue that I've always wanted and that (I think) should've been done long ago.
You do realize that the IDW Era one-shot was just a promotional thing, right? A second one doesn't really make any sense.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:58 am Who knows? If this storyline catches on, maybe we'll finally get that Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 one-shot issue that I've always wanted and that (I think) should've been done long ago.
You do realize that the IDW Era one-shot was just a promotional thing, right? A second one doesn't really make any sense.
Actually, what I meant by this statement is that IDW got up to a certain point in the history of their original Godzilla stories in the previous issue and then stopped there. I'd just like to see them finish the job, pick up where they left off and get up to Godzilla: Rage Across Time in a second issue. Then they can stop again and wait a little while to do another issue dealing with the new stories we're getting now.

At least that's what I would do if I were in charge of this thing; I just don't like someone starting something and then leaving it unfinished.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.