Godzilla and the Lost Continent recovery project

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
sss9
Young Farmer

Godzilla and the Lost Continent recovery project

Post by sss9 »

This book, the last planned in Marc Cerasini's series from the late 90s, was cancelled following poor reception of the 98 film. However we have extensive details of the story of this book, even cover art. I believe it would be possible to recover the book, whether it is finished or just a draft. This piece of media has long been considered beyond reach for over 20 years. If anyone knows a way to contact Marc personally, perhaps we would be able to finally get our hands on this apocryphal text that has been speculated over for many decades. That aside, I propose a collaborative rewrite project (not fanfiction) to imitate Cerasini's distinct style and tell the events of the story as Marc intended. Please let me know if you are interested.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla and the Lost Continent recovery project

Post by JAGzilla »

sss9 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:36 am This book, the last planned in Marc Cerasini's series from the late 90s, was cancelled following poor reception of the 98 film. However we have extensive details of the story of this book, even cover art. I believe it would be possible to recover the book, whether it is finished or just a draft. This piece of media has long been considered beyond reach for over 20 years. If anyone knows a way to contact Marc personally, perhaps we would be able to finally get our hands on this apocryphal text that has been speculated over for many decades. That aside, I propose a collaborative rewrite project (not fanfiction) to imitate Cerasini's distinct style and tell the events of the story as Marc intended. Please let me know if you are interested.
I don't know how the law works in cases like this, but I seriously doubt that Marc Cerasini is allowed to make the story public since he wrote it in an officially licensed capacity. Toho would never allow that, and he would absolutely need their permission to do it.

And any attempt by fans to write the story would be fanfiction. There's no getting around that. We can't write it as Marc intended because we don't know what he intended beyond a vague, skeletal framework. Nothing against fanfiction or anyone wanting to tackle this project, I'm just saying that you should call it what it is: fanfiction.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

sss9
Young Farmer

Post by sss9 »

JAGzilla wrote:
> [quote=sss9 post_id=1872137 time=1645202195 user_id=11488]
> This book, the last planned in Marc Cerasini's series from the late 90s,
> was cancelled following poor reception of the 98 film. However we have
> extensive details of the story of this book, even cover art. I believe it
> would be possible to recover the book, whether it is finished or just a
> draft. This piece of media has long been considered beyond reach for over
> 20 years. If anyone knows a way to contact Marc personally, perhaps we
> would be able to finally get our hands on this apocryphal text that has
> been speculated over for many decades. That aside, I propose a
> collaborative rewrite project (not fanfiction) to imitate Cerasini's
> distinct style and tell the events of the story as Marc intended. Please
> let me know if you are interested.
> [/quote]
>
> I don't know how the law works in cases like this, but I seriously doubt
> that Marc Cerasini is allowed to make the story public since he wrote it in
> an officially licensed capacity. Toho would never allow that, and he would
> absolutely need their permission to do it.
>
> And any attempt by fans to write the story would be fanfiction. There's no
> getting around that. We can't write it as Marc intended because we don't
> know what he intended beyond a vague, skeletal framework. Nothing against
> fanfiction or anyone wanting to tackle this project, I'm just saying that
> you should call it what it is: fanfiction.

I think perhaps there would be ways to circumvent legal restraints; I believe crowdfunding a "bribe" of sorts could potentially work, though of course the official story would be that it leaked anonymously, perhaps it could pinned on a publisher who would have had the manuscript before it was cancelled.

As for "fanfiction", if we as writers are able to emulate Cerasini's writing style well enough, it could be potentially indistinguishable from one of his own original works. With enough study of his writing, it could easily be done. Please let me know if you are willing to contribute in any way to this endeavor.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Step one of surreptitiously bribing someone to violate copyright law and probably confidential contracts and other things? Publish a summary of said plan on a public message board for all to see!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah uhh no.

A) This seems sketchy for a few reasons. Seems like it would be easy to crowdfund and then run away with the money.
B) This seems illegal/and or like some sort of harassment.
C) Really stupid for you to advertise this on a public forum.

Don't bring it up again.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.