Monster Discussion: Soran, Inagos, and Kamerus

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Monster Discussion: Soran, Inagos, and Kamerus

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

In this thread, we shall discuss Godzilla's ancient compatriots from the Dark Horse comics, the Disaster Monsters: Soran the Thunderbird, Inagos the Locust-King, and Kamerus... the really big turtle!

While clearly these guys were just stand-ins because Dark Horse didn't have the rights to Rodan, Mothra, and Anguirus and/or Gamera, I do still like them. They have a bit of charm to them. The story probably helps with that a little, as the call of the ancient slab helps provide a reason they're attacking Japan as opposed to just the usual "Well, they're giant monsters, what else are they gonna do?"

Their designs, while slightly generic, are still unique enough to be interesting. I like that Soran is this hideous, almost rotting corpse-looking bird-thing as opposed to a generic pterodactyl monster. I like that Inagos, despite being another insect larva, is not just another caterpillar type. It's too bad that he didn't get to join Godzilla and Soran for the final mad dash for the slab at the end. Kamerus... well, honestly, Kamerus' design is probably the least interesting of the three. That and the poor guy doesn't even get to actually be in the story and is just seen in flashbacks. We wouldn't even find out his name until eight years later.

Considering that their origin is so deeply intertwined with Godzilla's in the Dark Horse universe, it's surprising that they never showed up again, aside from their brief cameo in Issue 12. It would've been nice if the final issue of the series had the four of them teaming up against the Stranger or something.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Monster Discussion: Soran, Inagos, and Kamerus

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Definitely a case of missing potential, because their designs and origins are intriguing. I’d say Inagos is my favorite of the three, a locust kaiju is a great idea and the idea of it causing these biblical swarms with his presence is downright menacing. Soran’s decrepit and ghoulish appearance makes him a close second.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Soran's easily the best of the three, but honestly, beyond the designs, all of them just.. lack charm.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm Soran's easily the best of the three, but honestly, beyond the designs, all of them just.. lack charm.
I disagree, I think they have a distinct Dark Horse/90s indie comic charm. I loved the art for that Godzilla series. Wish they'd do a belated sequel with expanded roles for these guys.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

My personal title for Kamerus is "the Sky Turtle".

I wish Dark Horse had used it.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Soran's name may or may not be a reference to the Japanese title of Rodan, "Sora no Daikaijū Rodan".

Also, Kamerus was originally gonna have a scorpion stinger on its tail.