Godzilla Monsters and Protectors Issue 1 Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla Monsters and Protectors Issue 1 Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So issue one of Godzilla Monster and Protectors is out.

I liked issue one. Issue 1 was fine. It's mostly a set-up for the rest of the story and is pretty straightforward. When Godzilla comes from out of the ocean I think he looks fantastic. I think it’s biggest strength is it’s art style and colors.

I like the characters, even if I forsee some being annoyed by the main character being younger. However, it needs to establish it's own identity.
Spoiler:
The little cameo by Kumonga was cute too
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla Monsters and Protectors Issue 1 Discussion

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I was super surprised to see this at the shop today, and I was even more surprised at how much l liked it!
Godzilla is cute and the writing isn't bad. I expected a lot of "How do you do, fellow kids?" after seeing the framing device was a vlog, but I'd say Monsters and Protectors has potential to be a fun little book. (As a matter of fact, if it keeps up like this, I'll like Monsters and Protectors more than Marvel's Ultraman!) It helps that it seems genuinely accessible to a normie audience.
If IDW is smart they'll make sure Monsters and Protectors goes places. The comic industry is crazy right now, if Immortal Hulk can beat Batman I don't see why a book like this can't do some decent sales.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Good start!

Plus I like how Godzilla hadn't been seen for decades before his appearance here, gives me "post-Showa era" vibes.

The art was great (my worries are now gone) and I like the animation-esque look for the humans.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

eburnham
Ronin

Post by eburnham »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:09 pm I expected a lot of "How do you do, fellow kids?"
Well heck. Now I regret not putting it in there.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

eburnham wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:02 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:09 pm I expected a lot of "How do you do, fellow kids?"
No worries, it's perfect! :D Keep up the good work!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Wasn't able to get out to a comic shop until earlier this week, but I did finally get the issue. (and a variant!)

I liked it! Bit of a slower start, but the exposition is necessary I suppose. The artificial island idea is very interesting as well, I hope we see more with that. Also, Godzilla targeting a specific organization that pissed him off? Sounds familiar...

I assume its a coincidence and not intentional, but I'd say some similarities to Godzilla vs. Kong very much works in the comic's favor! Makes it feel very relevant, sticking to similar themes.

The portrayal of Godzilla is great. I love the backstory with Godzilla having not been around in decades, almost giving him that "myth" status. Feels appropriate for a series aimed at a younger audience, too, since this is a pretty old franchise. Plus I think the way they introduced Godzilla was handled beautifully. For the first half of the exposition, he's barely mentioned - but as soon as he shows up, he's front and center for the rest of the comic, even when not on-screen (on-panel?), which is definitely smart.

The art style is really distinct and cute, though I can definitely see it not being for everybody. Human cast looks great though, and the art is very fitting for the tone.

I think IDW learned some lessons from their initial run. Kingdom of Monsters was not a great way to kick off the first IDW era, but this feels like a much safer approach aiming at a younger audience while still be accessible for everyone. Also it being a miniseries, which IDW's had much more success at (though I am hoping for an ongoing series down the line). Nice start as far as I'm concerned, and I imagine things will be ramping up from here!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Welcome to the forums Mr. Burnham!!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Oh wow its a pleasure having you hear on TK Mr. Burnham! I just wanted to say I've been a fan ever since I read your excellent ongoing Ghostbusters series also at IDW!

eburnham
Ronin

Post by eburnham »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:11 pm Wasn't able to get out to a comic shop until earlier this week, but I did finally get the issue. (and a variant!)

I liked it! Bit of a slower start, but the exposition is necessary I suppose. The artificial island idea is very interesting as well, I hope we see more with that. Also, Godzilla targeting a specific organization that pissed him off? Sounds familiar...
I wrote the initial pitch in March of last year, and the outline in October... I was almost done with the scripting in January (I had to make one major change based on a note in February, but other than that... done!) All of the work done before GvK came out, and no, they didn't share the movie with us ahead of time.

So some beats and images are similar, but it's all coincidence. (If I'd known earlier I would've made changes.)

eburnham
Ronin

Post by eburnham »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:27 pm
Oh wow its a pleasure having you hear on TK Mr. Burnham! I just wanted to say I've been a fan ever since I read your excellent ongoing Ghostbusters series also at IDW!
Thanks!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^Cool cool. Moving forward I’m going to add and feature links to the IDW site so those that can’t, can easily purchase and support the series. I suppose the ideal thing is to support local comic stores, but for some it might be difficult to purchase depending on where they live. I think having the digital links easily available should make things easier for all:

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/g ... tectors-1/
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.