IDW Godzilla Comics - Kaiju Appearance Scorecard

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

IDW Godzilla Comics - Kaiju Appearance Scorecard

Post by Shenanigans »

Alright, so - inspired by the Video Game Kaiju Scorecard thread, I decided to post my own list I made a little while back for IDW's Godzilla run. As of this writing, IDW has finally reattained the Godzilla license, so there may be interest in seeing a comprehensive, visual list of all the kaiju who appeared in the original run from 2011-2016. I spent quite a bit of time making it long ago so I hope you all enjoy!

First, a few notes:
  • My list is primarily organized by series, but continuity is a factor as well. Each issue of the anthology series Godzilla: Legends and Godzilla In Hell appear to exist independently of one another and are not part of a shared continuity; thus, they are listed as separate categories. However, this does not apply to the third anthology series, Godzilla: Rage Across Time - while each issue is similarly handled by a different creative team, there are recurring human characters and an overarching story with them, thus establishing shared continuity.
  • The list does not include characters who only appear on the covers, such as Gigan in Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths, where he is seen on the cover of issue #4 but not in any interiors. Or several of the Matt Frank "kaiju covers" of Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters.
  • On occasion, different incarnations of the same character will appear within one series; the most common is Mechagodzilla, though sometimes we'll see other characters, like two Gigans (Showa and Millennium) and two Ghidorahs (Heisei and Showa) in Rulers of Earth. These characters have been given separate entries.
  • A few monsters have new “forms”, such as Biollante’s small, plant-like form in Godzilla: Cataclysm. I didn't think this tiny, hand-held Biollante quite fits under the preexisting "Rose form" or "Final Form", so I took it upon myself to consider it a "new form". Feel free to disregard them if you disagree.
  • Adding to the above, I made up names for some of these monsters. Some are totally original, others are just different or new versions of preexisting characters. For instance, both Showa and Millennium Gigan appear in Rulers of Earth, so I’ve dubbed the latter “Gigan II” for simplicity’s sake.
  • Rodan appears as a baby in two series; in Kingdom of Monsters, there is only one Rodan who we see grow from baby to adult, but in Legends, the baby is a second, separate Rodan, and so has been included as a separate entity. Just my own preference; feel free to add "Baby Rodan" to the KOM list or remove "Baby Rodan" from Legends.

Without further ado, here is THE LIST -

(Open in new tab for higher resolution)

Text list:

Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters
Godzilla
Anguirus
Rodan
Battra Larva
Kumonga
Mechagodzilla
King Ghidorah
Battra Imago
Spacegodzilla

Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths
Rodan
Kumonga
King Ghidorah
Battra Larva
Godzilla
Mothra Imago
Titanosaurus
Anguirus
Mechagodzilla

Godzilla: Legends #1
Destoroyah
Godzilla
Anguirus
King Ghidorah
Gigan

Godzilla: Legends #2
Rodan
Baby Rodan

Godzilla: Legends #3
Rodan
King Ghidorah
Godzilla
Mothra Imago
Destoroyah
Titanosaurus
Mechagodzilla

Godzilla: Legends #4
Mechagodzilla
Hedorah (Final Form)
Hedorah (Flying Form)
Godzilla
Hedorah (Water Form)

Godzilla: Legends #5
Godzilla
Kumonga
Mutant Birds

Godzilla (Ongoing)
Kumonga
Rodan
Battra Imago
Godzilla
Anguirus
Titanosaurus
Mechagodzilla - 2nd Generation [Kiryu]
Mothra Imago
Hedorah (Final Form)
Spacegodzilla (Final Form)
Gigan
Spacegodzilla (Flying Form)
Monster X
Hedorah (Water Form)
Hedorah (Flying Form)
Keizer Ghidorah
Baragon

Godzilla: The Half-Century War
Godzilla
Anguirus
Rodan
Battra Imago
Kumonga
Megalon
Mothra Imago
Ebirah
Hedorah
Mechagodzilla
Gigan
King Ghidorah
Mechagodzilla II [Kiryu]

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
Godzilla
Shockirus
Gigan
Kumonga
Anguirus
Titanosaurus
Mothra Imago
Rodan
Battra Imago
Hedorah (Water Form)
Zilla
Destoroyah (Juvenile Form)
Manda
Gezora
Gigan II
Destoroyah (Final Form)
Mothra Larva
Destoroyah (Aggregate Form)
Varan
Gaira
Hedorah (Final Form)
Mechagodzilla
Sanda
Moguera
Orga
Jet Jaguar
Biollante
Gorosaurus
Megaguirus
Kamoebas
Megalon
King Caesar
Ebirah
Baragon
Battra Larva
Mechagodzilla - 3rd Generation [Kiryu]
Fake Godzilla
Mechagodzilla (Mass Production Model)
Mecha-King Ghidorah
King Ghidorah (Earth)
Meganulon
Meganula
Trilopod (Beta Form)
Trilopod (Alpha Form)
Trilopod-Megaguirus Hybrid
Trilopod-Spacegodzilla Hybrid
Trilopod-Baragon Hybrid
Trilopod-Rodan Hybrid
Trilopod-Kumonga Hybrid
Trilopod-Battra Hybrid
Trilopod-Gorosaurus Hybrid
Trilopod-Godzilla Hybrid
Kamacuras
King Ghidorah (Alien)
Gigan (Modified)
Trilopod-Gezora Hybrid
Trilopod-Titanosaurus Hybrid
Trilopod-Gaira Hybrid
Trilopod-Kamoebas Hybrid
Trilopod-Anguirus Hybrid
Trilopod-Varan Hybrid
Trilopod-Sanda Hybrid
Trilopod-Manda Hybrid
Trilopod-Kamacuras Hybrid
Magita

Godzilla: Cataclysm
Manda
Anguirus
Mothra Imago
Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Kamacuras
Biollante (Final Form)
Ebirah
Biollante (Plant Form)
Megaguirus
Meganula
Battra Larva
Mechagodzilla [Kiryu]
Rodan
Destoroyah (Final Form)
Destoroyah (Juvenile Form)
Destoroyah (Flying Form)
Mothra Larva

Godzilla In Hell #1
Godzilla
Nuclear Reactor Demon
Doppelgänger Demon (Godzilla Form)
Doppelgänger Demon (True Form)

Godzilla In Hell #2
Godzilla
Rodan
Anguirus
Varan
King Ghidorah

Godzilla In Hell #3
Moguera
Godzilla
Spacegodzilla

Godzilla In Hell #4
Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Destoroyah (Final Form)
Destoroyah (Flying Form)
Destoroyah (Aggregate Form)

Godzilla In Hell #5
Godzilla
Flying Demon
Gatekeeper Demon

Godzilla: Oblivion
Fire Rodan
Mechagodzilla (Earth-2) [Kiryu]
Godzilla
Mothra Larva
King Ghidorah
Mechagodzilla (Earth-1) [Kiryu]
Mecha-King Ghidorah
Mothra Imago
Biollante
King Caesar
Anguirus
Zilla
Hedorah
Battra Imago

Godzilla: Rage Across Time
Gigan
Megalon
Orochi
Godzilla
Hydra
Meganulon
Megaguirus
Mothra Imago
Ebirah
Gezora
Rodan
Baragon
Varan
Anguirus
Kumonga
Battra Imago
Titanosaurus
Manda
King Caesar
Gorosaurus
Kamacuras
Keizer Ghidorah
Monster X

RANDOM TRIVIA:
  • IDW is the first American comic publisher to feature Toho kaiju besides Godzilla in their comics. IDW started their Godzilla run in 2011 with the rights to 13 Toho kaiju – Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, Battra, Kumonga, King Ghidorah, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Titanosaurus, Destoroyah, Gigan, Spacegodzilla, and Hedorah. In 2012, they renegotiated their deal and gained the rights to over 30 kaiju, covering the majority of the Godzilla catalog.
  • Adding to the above, Godzilla: The Half-Century War is the first series to feature new kaiju as part of IDW's expanded deal, with Ebirah and Megalon added to the roster.
  • At least two kaiju IDW acquired the rights to, Ganimes and Minilla, were never used in any comics, though both were planned to appear in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth. Ganimes appears in a cave drawing in issue #9, while Minilla appears on an early, unused cover concept for issue #8, back when it was planned to be the final issue of the series.
  • IDW was generally not allowed to redesign the kaiju and had to choose from preexisting designs. Of course, some artistic liberties were taken with some of the designs throughout the entire series. The closest to a full redesign is Godzilla's appearance in Godzilla: Legends #1; while primarily based on Godzilla 2002, the design features some notable deviations. As it was created by artist Matt Frank, it has been nicknamed "Frank-Goji".
  • Minor Toho kaiju make cameo appearances. Toho’s Snowman from Half Human (1958), Matango-like mushrooms and a giant dragonfly resembling the Meganula appear in Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1. The “Mystery Bones of Infant Island”, also called “Skeleturtle”, appears in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #18.
  • Fake Godzilla – Mechagodzilla in disguise – appears in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, utilizing a new design based upon a Bullmark toy from the 1970’s. This is not the first time Fake Godzilla has been given a new design, as the character previously appeared in several video games and the Godzilla Island TV series utilizing a Heisei Godzilla design.
  • Though Godzilla: Rulers of Earth utilizes the Godzilla 2002 design, the Godzilla 2000 design appears in the human protagonist's nightmare in issue #13.
  • By coincidence, both of the Showa Mechagodzilla’s appearances depict the character as a mass-production model as opposed to a single robot.
  • Several characters appear on the covers on comics without appearing within the interiors in any capacity. These include – Mothra, Mothra Larva, Gigan, Hedorah, and Titanosaurus in Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters, Gigan in Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths, Mothra Larva in Godzilla (Ongoing), and Biollante Rose in Godzilla: Cataclysm. Biollante Rose may be most notable for not appearing in any of IDW's comic series, though Biollante's final form appeared in three series.
  • In addition to all of the Toho kaiju, IDW introduced several original kaiju. Most of these are either minor characters, demons from Godzilla In Hell, or new adaptations of mythological monsters, such as the Hydra or Orochi – the latter being separate from Toho’s own movie take on the character. However, one prominent original kaiju was introduced – the Trilpods! Created by Chris Mowry, Matt Frank, and Jeff Zornow, the alien kaiju has the ability to “copy” the abilities of other kaiju. Matt Frank has even suggested that, in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, Orga was essentially a prototype of the Trilopods! The monsters and their queen, Magita, serve as the primary antagonists in ROE.
  • Godzilla, Rodan, and Anguirus appear at least once in every series. King Ghidorah appears in all but two series, Godzilla (Ongoing) and Godzilla: Rage Across Time; however, Keizer Ghidorah appears in both of those series, so at least one Ghidorah makes an appearance in every series.

And there you have it! Lots of kaiju, huh? Especially Trilopods - there's an awful lot of those! Love those guys!

I'll also see if I can update this when the new run begins, though I may not be able to promise a consistent update schedule. But at least I covered the entire first run, so enjoy! :D :D :D
Last edited by Shenanigans on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IDW Godzilla Comics - Kaiju Appearance Scorecard

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wow, this is absolutely fantastic! Great job!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I forgot how big Godzilla's mouth was in that picture of Godzilla in Legends #3. That is quite a list with all the Trilopods.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Amazing work!!!

Just remembered too, didn’t a Shockirus appear in ROE #1?
Last edited by kaijukurt on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Thank you all for the comments! :D

kaijukurt wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:01 am Amazing work!!!

Ah yes, I believe it did - forgot about that. Good catch! I will say that there are a few little "cameos" from minor characters; I think that "Skeleturtle" thing appears in ROE as well. Not sure if they should be included on the list or just acknowledged as "trivia", really. Though maybe at least Shockirus should since it is a "real" monster.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:03 am Thank you all for the comments! :D

kaijukurt wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:01 am Amazing work!!!

Ah yes, I believe it did - forgot about that. Good catch! I will say that there are a few little "cameos" from minor characters; I think that "Skeleturtle" thing appears in ROE as well. Not sure if they should be included on the list or just acknowledged as "trivia", really. Though maybe at least Shockirus should since it is a "real" monster.

Was Skeleturtle ever acknowledged as a living creature? It definitely seems more “trivia” territory than Shockirus.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

As promised, here's my list of kaiju that were used by IDW. This includes all appearances regardless of where and what they were and the kaiju are all listed according to their first film appearance (if there was more than one kaiju in any film, they're listed in the order of their appearance in that film):

*Godzilla the King of the Monsters
*Anguirus
*the Snowman (this kaiju appears very briefly in the lower right-hand corner of the bottom panel of pg. 2 of Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1)
*the Meganulons (Showa version)
*Rodan (Showa version; this is the version that appears in the mainstream storyline)
*Varan
*Orochi of Yamato (I think that's how this kaiju's Japanese name is translated into English, but I'm not sure - please tell me if I'm right or wrong)
*Mothra (Larva and Imago)
*Manda
*King Ghidorah a.k.a. Mecha-King Ghidorah (the version in the mainstream storyline is a combination of both the Showa and Heisei versions - the Showa version because he's a space monster and the Heisei version solely because of both his physical appearance as King Ghidorah and his revival as Mecha-King Ghidorah)
*Baragon
*Gaira the Green Gargantua
*Sanda the Brown Gargantua
*Ebirah
*Gorosaurus
*Kamacuras
*Kumonga
*Gezora
*Kamoebas
*Hedorah the Smog Monster
*Gigan (Showa version; in the mainstream storyline this version and the Millennium version are one and the same, see below for further details)
*Jet Jaguar
*Megalon
*Mechagodzilla (Showa version; there are more than one in both the mainstream storyline and Godzilla: Legends #3)
*King Caesar
*Titanosaurus
*the Shockiruses (there are more than one in the mainstream storyline)
*Biollante
*Battra the Black Mothra (Larva and Imago)
*Mechagodzilla (Heisei version)
*Rodan (Heisei version) a.k.a. Fire Rodan (this version appears in Godzilla: Legends #2-3 and Godzilla: The Half-Century War #3, all three times in his Fire Rodan form)
*SpaceGodzilla
*MOGUERA (Heisei version; the name as used in the mainstream storyline is not an acronym for Mobile Operations G-Force Universal Expert Robot - Aero-type, but it can still split into two vehicles - the Land Moguera and the Star Falcon - and then recombine into MOGUERA again)
*Destoroyah
*Zilla
*Orga
*the Meganulons (Heisei version (larvae)) and the Meganulas (imagos)
*Megaguirus
*Kiryu a.k.a. Mechagodzilla (Millennium version)
*Gigan (Millennium version (with both hook hands and double chainsaw hands; in the mainstream storyline, the Showa version is upgraded twice into both variations of this version))
*Monster X a.k.a. Keizer Ghidorah

IDW did obtain the rights to Minilla (hopefully the 2004 version) and Ganimes before the mainstream storyline ended, but so far have not placed them in it (and have not published any new stories in said storyline to this day).

Hey, if you want, I can even give you a complete list of the Bandai America Godzilla vinyl toy figures according to box color. Whaddya say? Any takers?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Shockirus has been added to the list!
kaijukurt wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:15 am
Was Skeleturtle ever acknowledged as a living creature?
Kind of? It was given the official name "Mystery Bones of Infant Island" by a toy/statue/ornament. Damn thing even has an official t-shirt now! Still, I don't consider it a real kaiju either.
mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 am
*the Snowman (this kaiju appears in the lower right-hand corner of the bottom panel of pg. 2 in Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1)
Firstly, good list!

And I actually don't think I ever caught Snowman in there; nice catch! I had to go back and see it for myself. There's an awful lot of easter eggs in that issue, but I suppose that's to be expected of Matt Frank. ;) I see that he always snuck in a Meganula-like dragonfly and some Matango mushrooms in that same issue! Among probably even more easter eggs. I'll be sure to add those to a trivia section in the future.

BTW, MOGUERA is officially an acronym and usually spelled all-caps, though I personally don't usually bother; lowercase is also acceptable. Oddly, when split, the smaller vehicle "Land Moguera" is always lowercase though.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Where did the Matangos come from? Were they just the mushrooms or the humanoid mushroom kaiju? Is this a thing similar to the Snowman's situation? Please, show me the page they're on and the place where they're at and if it's the latter, I'll put them in my list, but only if it's the latter. If it's the former, however, show me anyway just for the fun of it.

Btw, I wouldn't even have seen the Snowman if someone on this forum hadn't pointed him out (and thank you, pal, whoever you are).

As for MOGUERA, what I meant to say was: are the acronym and the splitting-into-two-separate-vehicles ability used in the mainstream storyline or not? Sorry about that, I guess I should've been more clear on that one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Added some trivia! Tried to keep it tied to the kaiju and not just random comic trivia, as there'd be an awful lot of that. But of course, if you have anything else you want to share, feel free to add it!

mikelcho wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:39 pm Where did the Matangos come from? Were they just the mushrooms or the humanoid mushroom kaiju? Is this a thing similar to the Snowman's situation? Please, show me the page they're on and the place where they're at and if it's the latter, I'll put them in my list, but only if it's the latter. If it's the former, however, show me anyway just for the fun of it.

Btw, I wouldn't even have seen the Snowman if someone on this forum hadn't pointed him out (and thank you, pal, whoever you are).

As for MOGUERA, what I meant to say was: are the acronym and the splitting-into-two-separate-vehicles ability used in the mainstream storyline or not? Sorry about that, I guess I should've been more clear on that one.
The Matango-like mushrooms are just mushrooms, not the creatures. An easter egg, not an actual monster appearance, at least to me.

As for Moguera, no, they never indicate that his name is an acronym in the comics and thus never spell it out (least as as far as I remember). He does indeed split into Land Moguera and Star Falcon in ROE, though.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:35 pm Added some trivia! Tried to keep it tied to the kaiju and not just random comic trivia, as there'd be an awful lot of that. But of course, if you have anything else you want to share, feel free to add it!

mikelcho wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:39 pm Where did the Matangos come from? Were they just the mushrooms or the humanoid mushroom kaiju? Is this a thing similar to the Snowman's situation? Please, show me the page they're on and the place where they're at and if it's the latter, I'll put them in my list, but only if it's the latter. If it's the former, however, show me anyway just for the fun of it.

The Matango-like mushrooms are just mushrooms, not the creatures. An easter egg, not an actual monster appearance, at least to me.

As for Moguera, no, they never indicate that his name is an acronym in the comics and thus never spell it out (least as as far as I remember). He does indeed split into Land Moguera and Star Falcon in ROE, though.
Thanks! At least I know one of them happened.

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Ah thanks I was curious about Matango too. I am still pleased to see them because they are really only known by the diehard fans.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 am As promised, here's my list of kaiju that were used by IDW. This includes all appearances regardless of where and what they were and the kaiju are all listed according to their first film appearance (if there was more than one kaiju in any film, they're listed in the order of their appearance in that film):

*Anguirus
*the Snowman (this kaiju appears very, very briefly in the lower right-hand corner of the bottom panel of pg. 2 of Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1)
*the Meganulon (Showa version)
*Rodan (Showa version; this is the version that appears in the mainstream storyline)
*Varan
*Yamato no Orochi
*Manda
*King Ghidorah a.k.a. Mecha-King Ghidorah (the version in the mainstream storyline is a hybrid of both the Showa and the Heisei versions - the Showa version because he's a space monster and the Heisei version solely because of both his physical appearance as King Ghidorah and his revival as Mecha-King Ghidorah)
*Baragon
*Ebirah
*Gorosaurus
*Kamacuras
*Kumonga
*Gabara (however, he's still a kaiju from a dream world and not a real one)
*Gezora
*Kamoebas
*Gigan (Showa version; in the mainstream storyline this version and the Millennium version are one and the same, see below for further details)
*Jet Jaguar
*Megalon
*Mechagodzilla (Showa version; there are more than one in the mainstream storyline and there are two in Godzilla: Legends #3)
*King Caesar
*Titanosaurus
*the Shockirus (there are more than one in the mainstream storyline)
*Biollante
*Rodan (Heisei version) (this version appears only in Godzilla: Legends #2-3 and Godzilla: The Half-Century War #3)
*SpaceGodzilla
*MOGUERA (Heisei version; the name as used in the mainstream storyline is, apparently, not an acronym for Mobile Operations G-Force Universal Expert Robot - Aero-type, but it can still split into two vehicles - the Land Moguera and the Star Falcon - and then recombine into MOGUERA again)
*Destoroyah
*Zilla
*Orga
*the Meganulon (Heisei version (larvae)) and the Meganula (imagos)
*Megaguirus
*Gigan (Millennium version (with both hook hands and double chainsaw hands; in the mainstream storyline, the Showa version is upgraded twice into both variations of this version))

IDW did obtain the rights to Minilla (hopefully the 2004 version) and Ganimes before the mainstream storyline ended, but so far have not placed them in it (and have not published any new stories in said storyline to this day).

Hey, if you want, I can even give you a complete list of the Bandai America Godzilla vinyl toy figures according to box color. Whaddya say? Any takers?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's worth noting as of this last update, that Gabara, definitely him, briefly made an appearance in Godzilla Monsters & Protectors All Hail the King Issue 1.
Spoiler:
Predating the MV/Reiwa Era, that just leaves Minya, Ganimes, and?

I think we need to give this a lengthy update, but I don't blame Shennagins to not want to go through the effort as it's a lot to add.

Added in 19 minutes 43 seconds:
Godzilla Monsters and Protectors:

Godzilla Rivals #1:
Godzilla
Hedorah

Godzilla Rivals #2:
Godzilla
Mothra (Imago)

Godzilla Rivals #3:
Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Kamacuras
Jet Jaguar
Showa Mechagodzilla (cameo)
Mecha-Kong (cameo, debatable)

Godzilla Rivals 4:
Godzilla
Battra
Mothra

Godzilla vs. MMPR:
Too many to post now

Godzilla Monsters and Protectors: Rise Up
Godzilla
Mothra Larva
Mothra Imago
Kumonga
Angurius
Biollante (Rose+Plant Beast)

All Hail the King:
Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Gabara
Angurius
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:36 pm It's worth noting as of this last update, that Gabara, definitely him, briefly made an appearance in Godzilla Monsters & Protectors All Hail the King Issue 1.
Spoiler:
Predating the MV/Reiwa Era, that just leaves Minya, Ganimes, and?

I think we need to give this a lengthy update, but I don't blame Shennagins to not want to go through the effort as it's a lot to add.
I have actually been keeping up with this a little, hehe; I put together a visual list for the Rivals issues and Monsters & Protectors, but I haven't finished the Power Rangers crossover list yet. I do have a complete text list though.

My list is pretty much the same as yours. For Rivals vs. King Ghidorah though, the author/artist himself explained that he had to substitute in a Mechani-Kong expy for the real deal, which as far as I'm concerned means its not actually him. I do find it a tad amusing that Toho wouldn’t even allow him to appear in such a tiny, barely-visible background cameo, but I suppose the potential legal issues with his appearance negate fun cameos. Regardless, I consider Pseudo- Mechani-Kong and MG a sort of “easter egg” character akin to the Snowman in Rage Across Time or Skeleturtle in ROE, rather than actual character appearances. Again, this is just my stance.

For the Power Rangers characters, it was admittedly a little tough defining what should count as a “monster”. As far as the Zords go, I think we should count them as monsters in the same way we count mechs as monsters; just makes things easier. I also count Goldar and Scorpina as monsters given their abilities to increase to gigantic size at will (not that size alone is the deciding factor), but I also see other characters like Rita Repulsa and Finster as mere “characters” like the Rangers themselves, even though they're not human. That’s just how I categorize them, feel free to disagree.

With that said, the PR list, in chronological order:

Godzilla vs. the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers:
Goldar
Godzilla
Megalon
Dragonzord
Pteranodon Dinozord
Tyrannosaurus Dinozord
Sabertooth Tiger Dinozord
Triceratops Dinozord
Mastodon Dinozord
Megazord
Gigan
Rhinoblaster
Eye-Guy
Anguirus
Mighty Minotaur
Hedorah
Rodan
Ebirah
Terror Toad
Pineoctopus
Bones
King Sphinx
Spit Flower
Spacegodzilla
Weaveworm
Scorpina (Monster Form)
Megaguirus
Kamacuras
Kumonga
King Ghidorah
Slippery Shark
Grumble Bee
Snizzard
Mega Dragonzord
Godzilla (Multiverse Variant #1) [Godzilla 1975]
Godzilla (Multiverse Variant #2) [Godzilla 1999]
Godzilla (Multiverse Variant #3) [Godzilla 2001]

---

It was quite thrilling to see Gabara show up in All Hail the King; frankly I was thinking we wouldn't see half of these obscure characters ever again like the Gargantuas and Space Amoeba characters, let alone totally new characters who haven't appeared in any comics yet. A very unexpected surprise, especially in that series; the first Monsters & Protectors series notably uses fewer Godzilla monsters than any other IDW comic series, with only five character appearances, two of which (Kumonga & Anguirus) are single-panel cameos.

The irony of Gabara, a character best known for bullying Minilla, showing up before any version of the son of Godzilla is not lost on me.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:46 pm
mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 am As promised, here's my list of kaiju that were, or have been, used by IDW. This includes all appearances regardless of where and what they were and the kaiju are all listed according to their first film appearance (if there was more than one kaiju in any film, they're listed in the order of their appearance in that film):

*Anguirus
*the Snowman (this kaiju appears very, very briefly in the lower right-hand corner of the bottom panel of pg. 2 of Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1)
*Rodan (Showa version; this is the version that appears in the mainstream story line)
*Varan
*Yamato no Orochi
*Manda
*King Ghidorah a.k.a. Mecha-King Ghidorah (the version in the mainstream story line is a hybrid of both the Showa and the Heisei versions - the Showa version because he's a space monster and the Heisei version solely because of both his physical appearance as King Ghidorah and his revival as Mecha-King Ghidorah)
*Baragon
*Ebirah
*Gorosaurus
*Mechani-Kong (this mecha appears very, very briefly in Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah along with a Mechagodzilla (Showa version); however, this appearance is, at best, debatable)
*Kamacuras
*Kumonga
*Gabara (appeared briefly in Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King! #1; however, he's still a kaiju from a dream and not a real one)
*Gezora
*Kamoebas
*Gigan (Showa version; in the mainstream story line, this version and the two Millennium versions are one and the same; see below for further details)
*Jet Jaguar
*Megalon
*Mechagodzilla (Showa version; there are more than one in the mainstream story line, there are two that are shown being built in Godzilla: Legends #3 and there is one that appears very, very briefly in Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah along with a possible appearance of Mechani-Kong (see above))
*King Caesar
*Titanosaurus
*the Shockirus (there are more than one in the mainstream story line, all of them parasites of Godzilla)
*Biollante (Flower Beast Form and Plant Beast Form)
*Rodan (Heisei version) (this version appears only in Godzilla: Legends #2-3 and Godzilla: The Half-Century War #3)
*SpaceGodzilla
*MOGUERA (Heisei version; its name as used in the mainstream story line is, apparently, not an acronym for Mobile Operations G-Force Universal Expert Robot - Aero-type as it is in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, but it can still split into two vehicles - the Land Moguera and the Star Falcon - and then recombine into MOGUERA again)
*Destoroyah
*Zilla
*Orga
*Megaguirus
*Gigan (Millennium versions (with both hook hands (Gigan) and double chainsaw hands (Modified Gigan); in the mainstream story line, the Showa version is upgraded twice into both of these versions))

IDW did obtain the rights to Minilla (hopefully, the 2004 version) and Ganimes before the mainstream story line ended, but so far have not placed them in it (and have also not published any new stories in said story line to this day).

Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:13 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:46 pm
mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 am As promised, here's my list of kaiju that were, or have been, used by IDW. This includes all appearances regardless of where and what they were and the kaiju are all listed according to their first film appearance (if there was more than one kaiju in any film, they're listed in the order of their appearance in that film):

*Anguirus
*Rodan (Showa version; this is the version that appears in the mainstream story line)
*Varan
*Yamato no Orochi
*Manda
*King Ghidorah a.k.a. Mecha-King Ghidorah (the version in the mainstream story line is a hybrid of both the Showa and the Heisei versions - the Showa version because he's a space monster and the Heisei version solely because of both his physical appearance as King Ghidorah and his revival as Mecha-King Ghidorah)
*Baragon
*Ebirah
*Gorosaurus
*Mechani-Kong (this mecha appears very, very briefly in Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah along with a Mechagodzilla (Showa version); however, this appearance is, at best, debatable)
*Kamacuras
*Kumonga
*Gabara (appeared briefly in Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King! #1-2; however, he's still a kaiju from dreams and not a real one)
*Gezora
*Kamoebas
*Gigan (Showa version; in the mainstream story line, this version and the two Millennium versions are one and the same; see below for further details)
*Jet Jaguar
*Megalon
*Mechagodzilla (Showa version; there are more than one in the mainstream story line, there are two that are shown being built in Godzilla: Legends #3 and there is one that appears very, very briefly in Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah along with a possible appearance of Mechani-Kong (see above))
*King Caesar
*Titanosaurus
*the Shockirus (there are more than one in the mainstream story line, all of them parasites of Godzilla)
*Biollante (Flower Beast Form and Plant Beast Form)
*SpaceGodzilla
*MOGUERA (Heisei version; its name as used in the mainstream story line is, apparently, not an acronym for Mobile Operations G-Force Universal Expert Robot - Aero-type as it is in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, but it can still split into two vehicles - the Land Moguera and the Star Falcon - and then recombine into MOGUERA again)
*Destoroyah
*Zilla
*Orga
*Megaguirus
*Gigan (Millennium versions (with both hook hands (Gigan) and double chainsaw hands (Modified Gigan); in the mainstream story line, the Showa version is upgraded twice into both of these versions))

IDW did obtain the rights to Minilla (hopefully, the 2004 version) and Ganimes before the mainstream story line ended, but so far have not placed them in it (and have also not published any new stories in said story line to this day).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:18 pm -snip-
Mikelcho, what are you doing/trying to do?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm
Make corrections to my original post without having to rewrite it all over again. For some unknown reason, the "Edit post" buttons just don't stay around for too long. If they did, I would use them, but they don't, so I can't. That's the only reason I'm doing this, because there seems to be no other way to do this, and if there is, I don't know what it is and I haven't found out what it is.

I know I'm not supposed to do this to other members' posts, because I tried adding new entries to the "Giant Monster Movies on Home Video" original post after the "Edit post" button was long since gone and almost got into trouble for it. So, I figured that if I do this to one of my own posts, I can't get into any trouble, or at least I think so. Am I potentially getting into trouble here? Please tell me and I'll stop right away if I have to.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:31 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm
Make corrections to my original post without having to rewrite it all over again. For some unknown reason, the "Edit post" buttons just don't stay around for too long. If they did, I would use them, but they don't, so I can't. That's the only reason I'm doing this, because there seems to be no other way to do this, and if there is, I don't know what it is and I haven't found out what it is.

I know I'm not supposed to do this to other members' posts, because I tried adding new entries to the "Giant Monster Movies on Home Video" original post after the "Edit post" button was long since gone and almost got into trouble for it. So, I figured that if I do this to one of my own posts, I can't get into any trouble, or at least I think so. Am I potentially getting into trouble here? Please tell me and I'll stop right away if I have to.
In that case, please just post your updated list, with it clearly being an update. Quoting it repeatedly made it confusing. That being said, if you really need me to edit something, just politely ask and I'll edit it for you.