Fan-comics from G-fan magazine

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Ryu
Samurai

Fan-comics from G-fan magazine

Post by Ryu »

I have a few questions about G-fan magazine:
Are the magazine's fan-comics still published? Or is it true that Toho prohibits any type of fan-comic in the magazine, including Gfantis?
Is there any memorable fan-comic?
Can you identify the magazine of this fan-comic?
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

UltramanGoji

Re: Fan-comics from G-fan magazine

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ryu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 am Are the magazine's fan-comics still published?
There are occasional (bad) comics featuring Gfantis. Nothing worth checking out in all honesty (which pretty much sums up the magazine as a whole right now).
Ryu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 am Or is it true that Toho prohibits any type of fan-comic in the magazine, including Gfantis?
Fan comics featuring Toho characters are not allowed. Toho has no jurisdiction over Gfantis as that is a character owned by the magazine's company.
Ryu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 am Is there any memorable fan-comic?
Not really. The only good fan content that was ever in the magazine were the Rex Summeral stories by Skip Peel.
Ryu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 am Can you identify the magazine of this fan-comic?
This is a two-part story published in issues #50 and #51.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Okay. Apparently the G-fan magazine falls to disgrace. Well thanks for clarifying my questions.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

In my opinion, the magazine suffers from a lack of exclusive content. G-Fan was more relevant when news was harder to come by. There's still some cool information in there but a lot of it seems rehashed.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I don't know about you guys and gals, but G-Fan's content is always good for me. I've read about things that even I didn't know.

In fact, in a letter I sent to J.D. a while back, I gave him two ideas for articles, one on the history of the Bloodthirsty Trilogy and one on the history of Shintoho's Starman. I also asked him a question about the official English-language titles used in Japan for some of the films and he said not only was it a good question, but he wanted all readers to get the info as well. Hopefully one day, my three ideas will become reality.

As for Skip Peel's Rex Summeral stories, J.D. told me in the letter that he had heard that Skip was getting married, so if he did and if he is, he may be a little bit busy right now. My favorite of all his Rex Summeral stories is "King Kong vs. Frankenstein Part One: The Past", "Part Two: The Present" and "Part Three: The Future".

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

I loved the Rex Summeral tales!

I especially liked how he tried to consolidate so many continuities, although the existence of rolisica still confuses me.

Too bad there is not online depository of Mr. Peel's work.

I suppose I was one of those fans who started losing interest in gfan when Toho came down against fan works.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

m0nster01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm Too bad there is not online depository of Mr. Peel's work.
I have an incomplete archive up on Tumblr, it's missing only two stories from issues that I neither own physically or have found scanned anywhere.

https://rexsummeral.tumblr.com/post/181 ... erpost-the

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:46 pm
m0nster01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm Too bad there is not online depository of Mr. Peel's work.
I have an incomplete archive up on Tumblr, it's missing only two stories from issues that I neither own physically or have found scanned anywhere.

There's another non-canonical story that mentions Rex Summeral and was published in G-Fan if you want to check it out:

*"Guilala vs. Gigan"

However, I can't remember who wrote it or what issue it's in. Can someone help me out, please? Thanks!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:46 pm

There's another non-canonical story that mentions Rex Summeral and was published in G-Fan if you want to check it out:

*"Guilala vs. Gigan"

However, I can't remember who wrote it or what issue it's in. Can someone help me out, please? Thanks!
It's issue #30. I might add it, might not.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Ryu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:59 pm Okay. Apparently the G-fan magazine falls to disgrace. Well thanks for clarifying my questions.
There is still enough interesting articles in each G-Fan to warrant a subscription IMO. John Lemay writes some great articles and stuff like the 2021 calendar along with all the theater advertising loot and posters have been nice extras in the last year. Some of the articles are derivative but what else can you say about King Kong vs Godzilla in an article that hasn't been said 3,000 times? The fact that its been running since the early 90s is quite a feat.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The best fan fiction storyline that G-Fan ever published (IMHO) was a six-book story called The War Against the Wild Gods by George Thomas. Its six books are:

*Book One: Godzilla vs. Varan (this story is based on the U.S. version of the film (Varan the Unbelievable))
*Book Two: Godzilla vs. Yog
*Book Three: Godzilla vs. Dogorah (yes, that's how it's spelled in this story)
*Book Four: Godzilla vs. Starman
*Book Five: Godzilla vs. the H-Man (in this story, the H-Man not only returns, but becomes a giant version of himself)
*Book Six: Godzilla vs. Manda (Varan makes a brief appearance in this story and is seen gliding at one point).

If you don't have the six individual G-Fan issues that have these stories (and I don't remember which ones they are, tbh), go to fanfiction.net and you'll find all six of them on pp. 46-47 of the 49-page Godzilla section in their Fanfiction: Movies category. George Thomas's name on there is Eavesdropper.

Enjoy, enjoy!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Anybody remember the Rex Summeral story where he was in Japan seeing sp00ky ghosts of kaiju that fell in battle in the area? That, and the one where they were digging thru M-11's brain disks to see all the footage of King Ghidorah were two of my favorites. I'm pretty sure that one in particular inspired my secret obsession with seeing Ghidorah fight Biollante one day 😅
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'd love to see an online archive of complete scans of all issues of G-Fan some day. I know a couple of issues have been scanned but there's so many that haven't been scanned yet.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm
Ryu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:59 pm Okay. Apparently the G-fan magazine falls to disgrace. Well thanks for clarifying my questions.
There is still enough interesting articles in each G-Fan to warrant a subscription IMO. John Lemay writes some great articles and stuff like the 2021 calendar along with all the theater advertising loot and posters have been nice extras in the last year. Some of the articles are derivative but what else can you say about King Kong vs Godzilla in an article that hasn't been said 3,000 times? The fact that its been running since the early 90s is quite a feat.
I agree! I have been a subscriber since issue #32 (and since went back and collected all issues from #8 onwards, plus the special collection that includes articles from #s 1-7) and have thoroughly enjoyed every issue. Since it's hard to find up to date English books with pictures, the magazine is the next best thing.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:44 am Anybody remember the Rex Summeral story where he was in Japan seeing sp00ky ghosts of kaiju that fell in battle in the area? That, and the one where they were digging thru M-11's brain disks to see all the footage of King Ghidorah were two of my favorites. I'm pretty sure that one in particular inspired my secret obsession with seeing Ghidorah fight Biollante one day 😅
My favorite entry in The Journal of Rex Summeral was King Kong vs. Frankenstein: Part 1: The Past, Part 2: The Present, and Part 3: The Future.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

FlawedCoil82 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm
I agree! I have been a subscriber since issue #32 (and since went back and collected all issues from #8 onwards, plus the special collection that includes articles from #s 1-7) and have thoroughly enjoyed every issue. Since it's hard to find up to date English books with pictures, the magazine is the next best thing.
I have sold a few over the years on eBay that I felt didn't have a ton to offer. I definitely have issues 1-30 though. After that is mostly a few here and there through the current issue. Its so fun reading about all the G98 drama back in those early issues.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm Some of the articles are derivative but what else can you say about King Kong vs Godzilla in an article that hasn't been said 3,000 times?
I think this is setting a very low bar. There are always things to learn about these movies, new observations to make and new perspectives from which to explore the films. This is pretty much the case for golden age horror ('30s and '40s) fandom -- those films have arguably been discussed at greater length and certainly in more detail than most of the Godzilla films, and yet there are some prolific writers on that subject who continue to publish insightful and illuminating articles and books on such done-to-death material as Lugosi's Dracula and the original King Kong.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon May 31, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:19 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm Some of the articles are derivative but what else can you say about King Kong vs Godzilla in an article that hasn't been said 3,000 times?
I think this is setting a very low bar. There are always things to learn about these movies, new observations to make and new perspectives from which to explore the films. This is pretty much the case for golden age horror ('30s and '40s) fandom -- those films have arguably been discussed at greater length and certainly in more detail than most of the Godzilla films, and yet there are some prolific writers on that subject who continue to publish insightful and illuminating articles and books on such done-to-death material as Lugosi's Dracula and the original King Kong.
Sure there are new things to be learned but at this point almost 60 years later to me getting new info is like when you are almost done squeezing a wet cloth and by the end it's a little trickle as opposed to the beginning when you squeezed it and a ton came out.

I have almost every issue of Japanese Giants, Japanese Fantasy Film Journal, many G-Fans, Guy Tucker's book, Ed G's books, Steve Ryfle's books, online articles and forums (including the KKvsG forum here at TK). I've read a lot about KKvsG. When I see articles written these days in G-Fan or some other online publication I haven't seen anything new on the film in quite a while. Yes there are new reviews and perspectives but for me I haven't seen much in the last few years that is much different than anything I've seen before. Now I'm not opposed to new info or facts. My favorite thing about this franchise is it's history and in particular the history of American fandom. But I just don't see much these days that I haven't seen before.

Its funny you mention Dracula as I'm a Lugosi nut. I'm reading Gary Rhodes 2014 book on the 1931 film now. Yes some new stuff comes out every so often but at this point it really is a trickle if you've been consuming Dracula/Lugosi for a while. For instance the book I'm reading now, while well written and researched, hasn't presented much to me in terms of new info. In fact Rhodes (who's my favorite Lugosi biographer) comes off a little rude and pretentious when going after David Skal and other prior authors on the subject in areas he feels they were wrong. Anyway, yes, there is theoretically new KKvsG info, but I havent seen it in the pages of G-Fan for quite some time. If there is newer info I'm missing though I'm all for learning and seeing it.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not disputing that. You asked, rhetorically, what else can be said about it, and we agree that there are still new things to be written. How much more can be revealed is rather beside the point. And, I'm sorry, but I do not think the western fandom has analyzed every Godzilla film in such great depth yet that there's practically nothing more to be said about each.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:17 pm I'm not disputing that. You asked, rhetorically, what else can be said about it, and we agree that there are still new things to be written. How much more can be revealed is rather beside the point. And, I'm sorry, but I do not think the western fandom has analyzed every Godzilla film in such great depth yet that there's practically nothing more to be said about each.
How much can be revealed is actually my entire point. There isn't much. What hasn't been written about in the last 59 years? How many times have I read that Eiji Tsuburaya ate the octopus for dinner? Dozens of times? Yes we agreed there may be more out there but I truly believe my wet rag analogy stands. Might we learn a little new fact here and there? Maybe? But I just don't see a lot more out there that Ed G, Ryfle, Galbraith, Ragone, Lees, Kalat, Tucker, etc have already covered.

You're the TK walking encyclopedia. I would love to know more facts about the film if you got them! As you can see I really am a student of the series and I'd love to learn new stuff. You really should consider writing a book yourself as I've seen you spit out a ton of great facts over my 10 years here. I just honestly don't know what else can be said about KKvsG that I haven't read in dozens of books, magazines, etc
SpaceG92 wrote: