Fan-comics from G-fan magazine

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Fan-comics from G-fan magazine

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It's really easy to judge G-fan in this day and age where our access to new information about kaiju (and tokusatsu media in general) is unprecedented. Safe to say we here in the west have lots of things to learn, discover, uncover, etc. The Godzilla series may have been analyzed a great deal, but that's one aspect of a much broader family of material. Even then, I still learn new things about Godzilla every day.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:15 pm
FlawedCoil82 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm

There is still enough interesting articles in each G-Fan to warrant a subscription IMO. John Lemay writes some great articles and stuff like the 2021 calendar along with all the theater advertising loot and posters have been nice extras in the last year. Some of the articles are derivative but what else can you say about King Kong vs Godzilla in an article that hasn't been said 3,000 times? The fact that its been running since the early 90s is quite a feat.
I agree! I have been a subscriber since issue #32 (and since went back and collected all issues from #8 onwards, plus the special collection that includes articles from #s 1-7) and have thoroughly enjoyed every issue. Since it's hard to find up to date English books with pictures, the magazine is the next best thing.
I have sold a few over the years on eBay that I felt didn't have a ton to offer. I definitely have issues 1-30 though. After that is mostly a few here and there through the current issue. Its so fun reading about all the G98 drama back in those early issues.
Yep agreed again. I think it got really interesting in issue #31 when the design was revealed. Of course at the time it was quite depressing, but now going back and rereading it, takes it down an interesting path to say the least. Not every issue is a "winner" but I still enjoy something in every issue and more articles are read in every issue than those that aren't.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:46 pm
m0nster01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm Too bad there is not online depository of Mr. Peel's work.
I have an incomplete archive up on Tumblr, it's missing only two stories from issues that I neither own physically or have found scanned anywhere.

Man it has been a while since I was last on the TK forum lol.

I know this is pretty old thread, but I have all of the original run of G-fan issues up to about 2001 and stuff. Do you know which issues those 2 stories you are missing? Or what the name of the 2 stories are? If so I can look to see if I have them and get some scans so you can complete your tumbler article with Skip Peel's works. I recently having been going through a lot of the older Gfan issues and seeing all the artwork and stories that will sadly be lost to time for the fandom. Which is a shame because there is a lot of solid work in there that I think modern day kaiju fans would get a kick out of :)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

EarthbaragonOG wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:09 pm
m0nster01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm Too bad there is not online depository of Mr. Peel's work.
I have an incomplete archive up on Tumblr, it's missing only two stories from issues that I neither own physically or have found scanned anywhere.

I know this is pretty old thread, but I have all of the original run of G-fan issues up to about 2001 and stuff. Do you know which issues those 2 stories you are missing? Or what the name of the 2 stories are? If so I can look to see if I have them and get some scans so you can complete your tumbler article with Skip Peel's works. I recently having been going through a lot of the older Gfan issues and seeing all the artwork and stories that will sadly be lost to time for the fandom. Which is a shame because there is a lot of solid work in there that I think modern day kaiju fans would get a kick out of :)
Blast from the past, welcome back!

The two (three, actually since this post was made; one more story was written in the interim) issues I'm missing are sadly more recent ones, they're issues #110, #114, and #136.

As far as older issues up to 2001 that aren't available digitally, issues #34, #49, #53 and #55. If you've got those and can scan them, that'd be a great boon to the digital archiving of old kaiju fandom history.

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

The two (three, actually since this post was made; one more story was written in the interim) issues I'm missing are sadly more recent ones, they're issues #110, #114, and #136.

As far as older issues up to 2001 that aren't available digitally, issues #34, #49, #53 and #55. If you've got those and can scan them, that'd be a great boon to the digital archiving of old kaiju fandom history.
[/quote]

I got a couple of days off of work after tonight, So I will certainly dig out the old folders and see what I can salvage from those. Hopefully still got them. There was a handful of other kaijus stories I wanted to see and preserve as well. Last Days of Mu, Godzilla vs Baltan, and there were some other ones that I thought were just as good as anything that Skip Peel or George Thomas had done when they wrote for the magazine.

But yeah, I can see on that. Sad to see that everything from issue 25 and earlier are pretty much gone :/ 55 is actually the last issue I got before I stopped collecting them because I was moving around too much. I think that is about the time when Toho made them cut back on the fan art and fan fictions too. At least I think.
Last edited by EarthbaragonOG on Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

And btw, I am glad to see other people do remember these stories and wish to preserve them for other kaiju fans in the future as well :)
Last edited by EarthbaragonOG on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:31 pm

I do have all 4 of those issues. I forgot how nice some of the art was and some of the stories were in some of those issues. There is a Godzilla vs Baltan one that I really liked lol!. I'm actually transcribing some of those stories because I feel that a lot of them are worth preserving for newer generation of Godzilla's fans. To show them how G-fans use to write stories back in the 90's before their 40,000 word plus KWC matches started to become popular lol!!

The only issue I don't have from the first 55 was issue number 10....which is terrible :( It has the 2nd part of the Godzilla vs Atragon - by Ron Murillo & J. D. Lees...out of the 3 parts that story spanned over. So I can start reading it and end the story. But I have no idea what happens in the middle. You don't happen to have scans of just that story off hand do you? I'd love to read the story in it's entirety. It's really well written honestly and I think a lot of people would get a kick out of it in this current generation. It's a shame that those super early issues are out of print and can't be found. It's going to be a story that is lost to time and it was done by a guy that is very predominate in the fandom still nowadays :/

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

EarthbaragonOG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:03 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:31 pm

I do have all 4 of those issues. I forgot how nice some of the art was and some of the stories were in some of those issues. There is a Godzilla vs Baltan one that I really liked lol!. I'm actually transcribing some of those stories because I feel that a lot of them are worth preserving for newer generation of Godzilla's fans. To show them how G-fans use to write stories back in the 90's before their 40,000 word plus KWC matches started to become popular lol!!

The only issue I don't have from the first 55 was issue number 10....which is terrible :( It has the 2nd part of the Godzilla vs Atragon - by Ron Murillo & J. D. Lees...out of the 3 parts that story spanned over. So I can start reading it and end the story. But I have no idea what happens in the middle. You don't happen to have scans of just that story off hand do you? I'd love to read the story in it's entirety. It's really well written honestly and I think a lot of people would get a kick out of it in this current generation. It's a shame that those super early issues are out of print and can't be found. It's going to be a story that is lost to time and it was done by a guy that is very predominate in the fandom still nowadays :/
That issue was reprinted in its entirety in G-FAN Special Collection #2. Maybe you could find that one somewhere. If not, then maybe "Godzilla vs. Atragon" would be available in its entirety on fanfiction.net in the Movies category under "Godzilla".
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

EarthbaragonOG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:03 pm The only issue I don't have from the first 55 was issue number 10....which is terrible :( It has the 2nd part of the Godzilla vs Atragon - by Ron Murillo & J. D. Lees...out of the 3 parts that story spanned over. So I can start reading it and end the story. But I have no idea what happens in the middle. You don't happen to have scans of just that story off hand do you? I'd love to read the story in it's entirety. It's really well written honestly and I think a lot of people would get a kick out of it in this current generation. It's a shame that those super early issues are out of print and can't be found. It's going to be a story that is lost to time and it was done by a guy that is very predominate in the fandom still nowadays :/
Sorry it took me a while to see this reply!

I do actually have Issue #10 scanned digitally! Here's all seven pages in a handy Image Chest album:

https://imgchest.com/p/md7ogmp62yp

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Someone said earlier in this thread that they'd love to see back issues officially digitally archived. Never gonna happen considering how many bridges Lees has burnt with his old staff. So many people who used to be involved with this magazine no longer are, and not for any amicable reasons.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I have pretty much every issue in some form or another. The 1st "Special" Edition, had most of the content of issues 1-7 . Then Special Edition #2 was a reprint of 9 (or 10?) other than that, I thn k I have every issue from 11- Current (142). I woudl imagine JD himself would have every issue, and could perhaps make a small profit off of scanning them all himself and offering them for a nominal fee. I still enjoy the read, although honestely, I pretty much thumb through the whole thing once, maybe spend a couple hours reading a few interesting articles, then it goes on a shelf not to be loked at again. A scan archive with a specific way to look up certain articles would be cool.

Especially since way back when, I just sent in a few letters, and they somehow "become " articles. Which i thought was cool. But I don't have the time or patience to go look back through all the issues to find what I contributed :( .
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:45 pm I have pretty much every issue in some form or another. The 1st "Special" Edition, had most of the content of issues 1-7 . Then Special Edition #2 was a reprint of 9 (or 10?) other than that, I thn k I have every issue from 11- Current (142). I woudl imagine JD himself would have every issue, and could perhaps make a small profit off of scanning them all himself and offering them for a nominal fee. I still enjoy the read, although honestely, I pretty much thumb through the whole thing once, maybe spend a couple hours reading a few interesting articles, then it goes on a shelf not to be loked at again. A scan archive with a specific way to look up certain articles would be cool.

Especially since way back when, I just sent in a few letters, and they somehow "become " articles. Which i thought was cool. But I don't have the time or patience to go look back through all the issues to find what I contributed :( .
G-FAN Special Collection #2 was an exact duplicate of issue #10.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I remember this weird comic that apparently starred Miss Namikawa and its title was composed of planetary symbols. Just what was it about anyways?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:39 pm I remember this weird comic that apparently starred Miss Namikawa and its title was composed of planetary symbols. Just what was it about anyways?
That was possibly Down With Us by Jolyon Yates. I remember the logo for the comic looking a little funky.

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 am
EarthbaragonOG wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:03 pm The only issue I don't have from the first 55 was issue number 10....which is terrible :( It has the 2nd part of the Godzilla vs Atragon - by Ron Murillo & J. D. Lees...out of the 3 parts that story spanned over. So I can start reading it and end the story. But I have no idea what happens in the middle. You don't happen to have scans of just that story off hand do you? I'd love to read the story in it's entirety. It's really well written honestly and I think a lot of people would get a kick out of it in this current generation. It's a shame that those super early issues are out of print and can't be found. It's going to be a story that is lost to time and it was done by a guy that is very predominate in the fandom still nowadays :/

I do actually have Issue #10 scanned digitally! Here's all seven pages in a handy Image Chest album:
Holy crap thank you! I have been waiting to read this story in it's entirety since I was a kid and started getting the magazine :) Very Awesome! Going to read it tonight :)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hey this is a reach, but I recall seeing/having some Godzilla/G-Fan magazine in English when I was younger. I believe in one of the issues there was a comic/monster design gallery that showcased a bunch of different creatures and designs. Had to have been in the early 2000s.

Some of them were what appeared to be Destoroyah knockoffs, but I recall a small page with something called "Black Hole" or "Black End". The monster was really just a crudely drawn humanoid with a black outline. Because of Black End from Ultraman Leo it's impossible to find. There was some other really cool artwork, like some weird insectoid dragons with multiple mouths that looked like they'd fit in nicely with the Heisei series. Anyone have any ideas what I'm talking about?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:11 pm Hey this is a reach, but I recall seeing/having some Godzilla/G-Fan magazine in English when I was younger. I believe in one of the issues there was a comic/monster design gallery that showcased a bunch of different creatures and designs. Had to have been in the early 2000s.

Some of them were what appeared to be Destoroyah knockoffs, but I recall a small page with something called "Black Hole" or "Black End". The monster was really just a crudely drawn humanoid with a black outline. Because of Black End from Ultraman Leo it's impossible to find. There was some other really cool artwork, like some weird insectoid dragons with multiple mouths that looked like they'd fit in nicely with the Heisei series. Anyone have any ideas what I'm talking about?
Dunno if it was a series but there was a "Supermonster Contest" in the early 00's that had a big spread in a later issue. I'll check there in a bit before going to bed.

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
Yep, it was the Supermonster Contest results from Issue #55. The one you remember was "Black Hole":

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:28 pm

Dunno if it was a series but there was a "Supermonster Contest" in the early 00's that had a big spread in a later issue. I'll check there in a bit before going to bed.

Yep, it was the Supermonster Contest results from Issue #55. The one you remember was "Black Hole":

That's exactly it! Wow!

No rush, but are there anymore interesting monsters from that issue? What was the winner?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:28 pm

That's exactly it! Wow!

No rush, but are there anymore interesting monsters from that issue? What was the winner?
There's a lot of interesting kaiju in there. One of them that has just sprung to mind was the Predagod, a giant Predator / Godzilla hybrid.

The first place adult winner of the contest was named Devastator. He even got a story in a later issue (which issue number it was I can't remember) which had an open ending that briefly showed the second, third and fourth place adult winners (I can't remember their names offhand, though). I always wanted G-FAN to continue this story, but this was before the ban on the magazine from both publishing any fan fiction that mentioned any and all of Toho's characters by name and / or used pictures of them by Toho themselves.

Btw, there was also an issue (again, which issue number it was I can't remember) that featured the children's entries in the contest as well as issue #55, which featured the adults' entries.

The entire story was centered around a team-up between the four Showa era alien races who had gathered together in order to find a way to kill Godzilla. The Kilaak representative thought up the idea of the contest in-story and told the other three representatives that if any of them had a better idea, they'd better speak up. They didn't, and the contest was officially begun. There was an issue that had this part of the story in it as well (once again, which issue number it was I can't remember).

Btw, UltramanGoji, can you please give me the issue numbers for these three issues also? I think that LSD Jellyfish would like to see them, too. I now already know that one of them is G-FAN #55; we just need the other three and all will be well and the goose hang high.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 14 times in total.

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 am

Just wanted to say thank you again for poosting the middle part of of the Atragon story. I was 10 when it first started coming out. I read the beginning in issue 9 and the end in issue 11. Always wondered what I was missing with the middle part. So checking it out almost 30 years later was a trip. It's a really fun story and sort of stands out as one of the first full length Godzilla fan novels for sure. Puts its around the same time that Barry's Temple of Godzilla did their 2 full length Godzilla novels (which I still hold as being some of the best fan writings ever really out out there.) So thank you again :)