Godzilla Beers thread

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla Beers thread

Post by darkcancer »

Space Godzilla Hazy Pale Ale

Saw picture on reddit and found out the brewery Nocterra wasn't too far from me so I had to drive down to pick up a few six packs. Usually not a fan of IPAs but some of the hazeys aren't too bad, but definitely had to buy it just for the art on the cans.

Last edited by darkcancer on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Space Godzilla Hazy Pale Ale

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

darkcancer wrote:Saw picture on reddit and found out the brewery Nocterra wasn't too far from me so I had to drive down to pick up a few six packs. Usually not a fan of IPAs but some of the hazeys aren't too bad, but definitely had to buy it just for the art on the cans.

That's really cool! I definitely want some!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Is this official? Because Toho is gonna shut this down in a heartbeat.
I remember they didn't like a Mecha-Hop-Zilla since it looked a bit like Showa Mechagodzilla.
https://www.rustycans.com/Graphics/COM_ ... zilla1.jpg

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Just did some homework: they advertise it being named after a Kayak trick. I wonder if that is how they are dodging Toho, though they did use his design...

Regardless, I want some. Sadly it is sold out on Nocterra's online shop.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Is this official? Because Toho is gonna shut this down in a heartbeat.
I remember they didn't like a Mecha-Hop-Zilla since it looked a bit like Showa Mechagodzilla.
https://www.rustycans.com/Graphics/COM_ ... zilla1.jpg
Probably not. Buy it before it’s banned!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

No trademark symbol and it uses the unofficial but widely available (and lousy) Godzilla font. The artwork is nice but otherwise it sure seems totally unauthorized to me.

Doesn't seem like a potentially valuable collectible like some IPA cans and I don't drink anymore, so I'll pass. But definitely agree with LSD: better act now if you're interested.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

As mentioned previously, it is not offically licensed or anything like that.
Shoopwoop17 wrote:Just did some homework: they advertise it being named after a Kayak trick. I wonder if that is how they are dodging Toho, though they did use his design...
When I picked it up I did ask about the name and the kayak story is what they told me too. Apparently kayak tricks all have crazy names and thats part of the fun.

Added in 7 days 10 hours 51 minutes 53 seconds:
Guess I'll keep the Godzilla-themed beers going. Nice variety, both the types and the artwork. This one is actually licensed at least.

Link: https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... ry-company

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ohhhh! I’m going to order those!

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla Beers thread

Post by darkcancer »

Changed the title to give this thread a wider topic range because I can see this expanding (both licensed and unlicensed products)

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ohhhh! I’m going to order those!
Oh, I've got the perfect song to play while you're enjoying them - Tom T. Hall's "I Like Beer"!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

darkcancer wrote:As mentioned previously, it is not offically licensed or anything like that.
Shoopwoop17 wrote:Just did some homework: they advertise it being named after a Kayak trick. I wonder if that is how they are dodging Toho, though they did use his design...
When I picked it up I did ask about the name and the kayak story is what they told me too. Apparently kayak tricks all have crazy names and thats part of the fun.

Added in 7 days 10 hours 51 minutes 53 seconds:
Guess I'll keep the Godzilla-themed beers going. Nice variety, both the types and the artwork. This one is actually licensed at least.

Link: https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... ry-company
Anyone know if these will be available to purchase in the US?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingKaiju wrote:Anyone know if these will be available to purchase in the US?
99% sure no. These are limited craft beers, made by in collaboration with a special brewery in Japan. Probably these will become incredibly expensive. I'd rather they do something similar with a craft brewery in America, rather than just import something from Japan.

Also, I ordered all eight of the beers. One of each! They should arrive before Godzilla's birthday!

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla Beers thread

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

darkcancer wrote:Changed the title to give this thread a wider topic range because I can see this expanding (both licensed and unlicensed products)
I'm so glad this thread is a thing
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Anyone know if these will be available to purchase in the US?
99% sure no. These are limited craft beers, made by in collaboration with a special brewery in Japan. Probably these will become incredibly expensive. I'd rather they do something similar with a craft brewery in America, rather than just import something from Japan.

Also, I ordered all eight of the beers. One of each! They should arrive before Godzilla's birthday!
I'm thinking about doing the same. Maybe I should buy it too. Was it pretty simple, as a US customer (assuming you're from the US)?

Also, I didn't know this thread was a thing either, and fuckin love this!!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingKaiju wrote:Also, I ordered all eight of the beers. One of each! They should arrive before Godzilla's birthday!
I'm thinking about doing the same. Maybe I should buy it too. Was it pretty simple, as a US customer (assuming you're from the US)?/quote]
No, lol. I live in Japan and all the ordering was done in Japanese. And it was expensive because they're craft beers, not because they're exported. To be clear: This is just a (relatively) small Godzilla related promotion. The point for it is to be very small on purpose.

My point was, in the future, I think Toho should partner with small American breweries, like Other Half, to make their own Godzilla partnered limited beer runs. IE: instead of everyone clamoring to get some special japanese beer (which is really just a limited flavor with a Godzilla sticker on it), have American breweries make shit that's unique to the American region.