Crossovers you would have liked to have seen

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
SickleFeather
Samurai

Crossovers you would have liked to have seen

Post by SickleFeather »

what kind of crossovers with Godzilla would you like to have seen during IDW's run with the franchise?

We all know that during the 1990's Dark Horse run, there were plans for Godzilla to have crossovers with Alien vs Predator, Superman and (funnily enough) Gamera, but Toho stopped those plans from ever happening. Nowadays Toho is bit more looser than back in the 90's but i swear i remember that there were plans to have Godzilla play a part in the IDW: Infestation event, possibly in which he fights the Great Old Ones but that was also shot down by Toho.

What i am saying is what other IDW licensed series you would have liked to see have a crossover with the Godzilla franchise?, perhaps with the Transformers, Star Trek, TMNT, etc.

Discuss.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Re: Crossovers you would have liked to have seen

Post by LegendaryMonster »

I for one would love to see Godzilla crossover with Power Rangers. The new Rangers comics have been pretty good so it'd be cool to finally see Godzilla throw down with the Megazord. Other than that I can't think of many, Alien may have been cool though.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

That Godzilla/Cthulhu crossover would have been an instant purchase from me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

LegendaryMonster wrote:I for one would love to see Godzilla crossover with Power Rangers. The new Rangers comics have been pretty good so it'd be cool to finally see Godzilla throw down with the Megazord. Other than that I can't think of many, Alien may have been cool though.
Same here. Some even want Netflix and Saban to make an animated series based on it especially with Studio Mir, and that would be amazing alone.

My list of a few crossovers?

-Power Rangers for the above reason.
-Ultraman
-Mega XLR
-Hellboy
-Cthulhu. I remember fanfic that covered this. It was amazing. Too needs to reconsider an IDW Old Ones crossover for sure.
-Justice League. Probably because I really want it as a basis for an AU movie where the Justice League fight Godzilla.
-Batman '66. Son of Godzilla was originally around this concept, with Batman using the weather machine, but I 'd love to see another version of this concept as a tribute to Adam West and to bring in the fans of the classic versions of both characters to the fold.
-Alien vs Predator
-Vampire Hunter D

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A GODZILLA Vs. CTHULHU sounds like a natural. Even if it couldn't be included in the INFESTATION II event, I'm surprised IDW didn't even pitch a mini series separate from the event. Maybe it had something to do with the Godzilla throw down with the Great Old Ones in INFESTATION 2 being reprinted in trade paperback form afterwards, and the rights issues with the event that fouled the Big-G's chances of being included in the event. With the H.P. Lovecraft mythos being public domain, it shouldn't have been a problem at all. Heck, I'm surprised Toho hasn't done it. Anywho, for those interested in the previously mentioned fan fic featuring the King of the Monsters facing down the Great Old One, you can check it out here.> http://www.kaijuphile.com/fannest/ficti ... hu_1.shtml
Probably another property I'd like to have seen IDW pit against Godzilla would be the Transformers. Or else Godzilla dealing with those pesky Martians in MARS ATTACKS ! Back in the day when I started digging around the internet ,I actually found some fan art of the Mars Attacks card set featuring Godzilla and the Toho pantheon of monsters crossing beams with the malevolent Martians. Haven't seen it since. On another bunch of Martians, I always thought Godzilla encountering the Martians, and their Tripod war machines from War of the Worlds would've been another one that could've been done. Like the Cthulhu mythos, H.G. Wells' seminal tale of the Martian invasion is another public domain property. Enabling IDW to do it with out any legal entanglements of getting the rights.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

I've got another idea, how about for a crossover with another IDW-licensed series, we could have the crew of the USS Enterprise have a run in with King Ghidorah or Gigan during one of their trips through the cosmos.
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla being used as the big gun in the IDW crossovers would have been cool especially the Mars attacks.

I would have also liked a crossover with Power Rangers, Alien, Terminator and of course Gamera.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I've always wanted Godzilla to crossover with Batman. I don't know why, it probably wouldn't be that good. I just want to see Godzilla fight the Batwing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

To be transparent I have a disdain for the Power Rangers as it's a very clear butchering of a show and the kind of guy the owner Saban is. For this reason, Id rather just have a crossover with an actual Japanese series and not the Power Rangers.

I don't know why, but I suppose for similar marketing reasons I wouldn't like Godzilla to crossover with transformers. And yeah I'm aware a lot of current stuff like Ultraman are pretty much made to sell toys, but for some reason I don't like the idea of Godzilla crossing over with American money machines.

I suppose in terms of other crossovers, well a lot of obvious ones like Ultraman are mentioned. But I'd double down on the idea of Batman, and hell have an Avengers crossover again, a lot of people forget that totally happened. Godzilla fighting a superhero is really easy to do, and no one is gonna complain except mega Godzilla fanboys if Godzilla loses or is temporarily stopped by Batman.

What about Godzilla and Star Trek tho. Sounds super outlandish, but you could easily make a story about TOS crew visiting a planet where King Ghidorah or some other monster is reeking havoc, and having a large thematic debate of whether interfering would be against the prime directive. You could also have a space fight between the enterprise and King Ghidorah, and then interactions between Xilliens and Star Ship Fleet. On top of that TOS was fully of a mixture of serious and very campy moments, and often used rubber monsters and aliens so a lot of Showa stuff would actually blend perfectly and tonally,
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: But I'd double down on the idea of Batman, and hell have an Avengers crossover again, a lot of people forget that totally happened.
I'm pretty sure Godzilla is still technically canon in the main Marvel comic universe. They reference him from time to time, while getting around the fact that they don't have the license anymore.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I wanna see Godzilla wreck the skreeonk out of Marvel characters again. This time fighting Hulk and Fing Fang Foom.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The One and Only
Futurian

Godzilla Vs. The Inhumanoids.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

* Batman / Superman / DC comics in general
* The Avengers / X-Men / Marvel comics in general
* Cthulhu mythos
* Gamera
* Ultraman
* Power Rangers
* Pacific Rim
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
* Alien
* Predator
* Terminator
* RoboCop
* Transformers
* Mars Attacks!
* Jurassic Park
* Ray Harryhausen's monsters
* Evangelion
* Mazinger
* Getter Robo
* Inhumanoids
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Ive always wondered what if Mutagen from TMNT got on Godzilla........

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why has Toho always been so vehemently against Godzilla being involved with crossovers?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote:Why has Toho always been so vehemently against Godzilla being involved with crossovers?
They haven't

The idea that Toho is restrictive of crossovers is ridiculous, and kind of a fan spread rumor. Toho just doesn't want weird fucking combos of things that don't make much sense.

Godzilla originally was a series based on crossovers, with King Kong, Mothra and Rodan. Following that there's been crossovers with the Avengers, Hamtaro, tons of different brands and mascots. Godzilla was also supposed to crossover with Batman and Frankenstein at points as well. And just last year we've had Godzilla cross over with Evangelion.

If you have to ask yourself why Toho wouldn't want Godzilla crossing over with TMNT, well it's fairly obvious to anyone that isn't just interested in seeing X property they like with Y thing. Sure, I'm the one that made the Star Trek comparison but I can justify it due to similar tone, and same impact on popular culture. I'm not sure if Vampire Hunter D is as culturally significant as Godzilla, The Avengers, King Kong or Star Trek.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

I wonder if it's a simple matter of money. Toho doesn't want to share or split the money/profit with the other character's rights holder.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'd be interested in knowing where those supposed cross over plans are mentioned. Sounds more like fan speculation and wishful thinking

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I wanna see Godzilla wreck the skreeonk out of Marvel characters again. This time fighting Hulk and Fing Fang Foom.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

G1985 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I wanna see Godzilla wreck the skreeonk out of Marvel characters again. This time fighting Hulk and Fing Fang Foom.
[imghttp://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/147508/4929018-gz+feat+strength+%287%29.png[/im]
I haven't read to whole comic series, so yeah i guess I missed that :P