What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Toho Books, Posters, Misc did you just buy?

Post by G1985 »

Godzilla21 wrote:Thanks man. How long ago did you get yours?
At least ten years ago. I forget how I came across it, but I recall paying around $90 for what was a near-unread copy.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

G1985 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Thanks man. How long ago did you get yours?
At least ten years ago. I forget how I came across it, but I recall paying around $90 for what was a near-unread copy.
Nice! I paid $113. I think it's a bargain considering a few have gone for $300+ on eBay recently
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Very nice grab, G21. That's definitely one of the grails.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Very nice grab, G21. That's definitely one of the grails.
I spoke to Ed G at G Fest a few years ago. He said he thinks only 500-1000 were made. So it's a very small number that are out there. I have heard the book is somewhat dated now but I look forward to reading it.
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote:
I spoke to Ed G at G Fest a few years ago. He said he thinks only 500-1000 were made. So it's a very small number that are out there. I have heard the book is somewhat dated now but I look forward to reading it.
I hope one day Ed can re-release it later on down the line. Even if it's outdated, it's still a piece of western kaju fandom history and deserves to be seen by all who are interested. Maybe an online PDF version?

Anyway, I just picked up the Haruo Nakajima Monster Photobook from a US seller on eBay for less than $30. Very excited to check it out!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
I hope one day Ed can re-release it later on down the line. Even if it's outdated, it's still a piece of western kaju fandom history and deserves to be seen by all who are interested. Maybe an online PDF version?

Anyway, I just picked up the Haruo Nakajima Monster Photobook from a US seller on eBay for less than $30. Very excited to check it out!

That's another great book. A ton of behind the scenes pics I've never seen
SpaceG92 wrote:

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

Picked up this silk print 27"x 40" poster up on ebay for $15 total. Love this teaser poster as soon as I first saw it. All framed up in my movie room as of today.

My Kaiju Poster Corner

Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

^That is so awesome! I'd love to get all the kaiju, if possible.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

Very beautiful book. I managed to get two. I got both of them when Nakajima came to Dallas for a convention. I got one autographed and I bought another one to read without worrying about damaging the autographed one.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The Nakajima book came in today, unfortunately it reeks of tobacco so I only managed to skim through a few pages or so before I put it in a ziploc with a dryer sheet to try and get rid of the smell.

What I saw was breathtaking, so many shots that I've never seen before and more than a few I'm certain haven't left this book. It's so amazing to see the Toho soundstage in all its glory back in the 50's and 60's. I'm gonna try and track down more books in this series, I know there's a Keizo Murase book that goes for a hefty penny.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote:The Nakajima book came in today, unfortunately it reeks of tobacco so I only managed to skim through a few pages or so before I put it in a ziploc with a dryer sheet to try and get rid of the smell.

What I saw was breathtaking, so many shots that I've never seen before and more than a few I'm certain haven't left this book. It's so amazing to see the Toho soundstage in all its glory back in the 50's and 60's. I'm gonna try and track down more books in this series, I know there's a Keizo Murase book that goes for a hefty penny.
I hate when books come in smelling like tobacco. Did the seller mention that?
SpaceG92 wrote:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Anyone know where I can find an original 1954 poster? Looking to get one signed at G-Fest for my "holy grail" item.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

shadowgigan wrote:Anyone know where I can find an original 1954 poster? Looking to get one signed at G-Fest for my "holy grail" item.
You can find half sheets pretty easily online but I personally wouldn't get it signed. Too valuable in my opinion. I would mount the signatures on a good period photo then maybe frame it with the poster. Even the lobby cards run $ 700-1000.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:
shadowgigan wrote:Anyone know where I can find an original 1954 poster? Looking to get one signed at G-Fest for my "holy grail" item.
You can find half sheets pretty easily online but I personally wouldn't get it signed. Too valuable in my opinion. I would mount the signatures on a good period photo then maybe frame it with the poster. Even the lobby cards run $ 700-1000.
Perhaps I'm not go ogling correctly. I'd be willing to pay upwards of $500. I'm an idiot for not picking this stuff up around the 50th anniversary, but I was only around 10 years old at the time. I like your idea of putting the signatures inside the frame with the poster. It would only be Akira Takarada's sig, but I love Ogata as a character and he actually has made an impact on my life. So I'd like to enshrine his signature within original material. If you have any links, I'd appreciate you sharing.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be paying much more than 500. But I do think this would be my holy grail item.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

iust got the king of the monsters novel
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Time Magazine's Godzilla special issue
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Finally scored the original instructions for unbuilt in box Aurora glow Godzilla model kit I have. Had a good photo copy stand in but it irked me being the random completionist that I am.
Resized Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Just picked up a Godzilla 1954 poster (not original), which I had signed by Akira Takarada. Also picked up some Gamera theater programs, got those signed too. I'm kind of getting into collecting this type of stuff. What are the best websites for these types of collectibles?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mandarake, Yahoo Japan, eBay occasionally for Japanese stuff and often for American stuff.