Marvel Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Marvel Godzilla

Post by Bluezilla »

AK Siwach wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:36 pm In light of the massive Marvel cinematic universe I can't help but wonder how a Marvel Godzilla film would turn out. I know it's never going to happen but interesting to think about.
Issues #1&2 With Godzilla appearing and SHIELD trying to deal with him would make a good introductory movie.
They could rework the Pym particle arc and Godzilla’s radiation causes him to end up in the Savage Land after being shrunk where they introduce Kazar, Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur. That would be fun.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:32 am I have the Essentials, but I really hope this is reprinted in color by Marvel or IDW. We also need some Marvel related merchandise.
Since IDW has the Godzilla license and has a working relationship with Marvel I wouldn't count out a color reprint!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

But would Toho approve...?

Also, I hope they include the issues with mutated/knockoff Godzilla after they lost the license.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:12 am But would Toho approve...?

Also, I hope they include the issues with mutated/knockoff Godzilla after they lost the license.
Assuming Marvel wants to do it and there's no other difficult conflicts (Like what exists with the American version of G85) I don't see why not. They were able to do it in 2006 so unless anything developed since than it should be easy.
Last edited by ROMG4 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

MARVEL GODZILLA OMNIBUS ANNOUNCED!!

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status ... bQQ7g&s=19

Last edited by kaijukurt on Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Ridin' that Justice League/Godzilla/Kong hype. ;) I kid, this is long overdue. Here's the Marvel site page/announcement:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/ ... mic-series

I got the Essentials TPB when it came out, but, you know, it was black & white which just isn't the same. Will absolutely be getting this. That second Junggeun Yoon cover is sick as hell too; it's a bit surreal to see new official art of Marvel's Godzilla design for the first time since the 70's.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

The name is interesting. The Original Marvel Years. That suggests there will be later Marvel years. (Although that was also the title for their ROM reprints and no new ROM comics have been announced yet.)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is amazing news! Having a full color omnibus will be a delight.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I'm hoping this bodes well for some Marvel Godzilla merch...
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Sick! Can't wait to have the entire run in color!

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:25 am I'm hoping this bodes well for some Marvel Godzilla merch...
I hope so!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The entire Dark Horse storyline? Dare we hope that this same thing is done to it?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

I'm super happy about this, though it's a little bitter sweet as I just finished collecting all the individual issues not too long ago because I figured we'd never get a color collection x.x Happy to be wrong though!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:35 pm I'm super happy about this, though it's a little bitter sweet as I just finished collecting all the individual issues not too long ago because I figured we'd never get a color collection x.x Happy to be wrong though!
Bittersweet for me as well, as I would much rather see the Dark Horse Godzilla comics released in Trade Backs/Papers in color as opposed to the black & white tradeback nonsense they released back in the late 90s....hopefully this Marvel release will spur DH to eventually do the same down the road....
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:34 am
Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:35 pm I'm super happy about this, though it's a little bitter sweet as I just finished collecting all the individual issues not too long ago because I figured we'd never get a color collection x.x Happy to be wrong though!
Bittersweet for me as well, as I would much rather see the Dark Horse Godzilla comics released in Trade Backs/Papers in color as opposed to the black & white tradeback nonsense they released back in the late 90s....hopefully this Marvel release will spur DH to eventually do the same down the road....
Is Dark Horse even an active publisher still? Everything I have from them is from the 90's, I'd image they could use some of that Godzilla money $. If this Marvel one sells well they'd kind be fools not to do their own. Release it right off the heels of New Empire and Bam! Easy W

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:55 pm
Is Dark Horse even an active publisher still? Everything I have from them is from the 90's, I'd image they could use some of that Godzilla money $. If this Marvel one sells well they'd kind be fools not to do their own. Release it right off the heels of New Empire and Bam! Easy W
Dark Horse is still going last I checked. But they've taken it on the chin the last few years with a lot of the properties published under their banner being scooped up by Disney buying up Twentieth Century Productions. Taking the ALIENS, and PREDATOR i.p.s with them. Not to mention Lucasfilm and STAR WARS. Last I checked the Dark Horse years of Godzilla were published by Toho in Japan proper.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

The One and Only wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:14 am
Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:55 pm

Dark Horse is still going last I checked. But they've taken it on the chin the last few years with a lot of the properties published under their banner being scooped up by Disney buying up Twentieth Century Productions. Taking the ALIENS, and PREDATOR i.p.s with them. Not to mention Lucasfilm and STAR WARS. Last I checked the Dark Horse years of Godzilla were published by Toho in Japan proper.
Oh that's right, they did! Then I guess that really makes this kind of thing a huge probability. It's not like they got anything better to do if they lost everything else. Might as well.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I mean, Dark Horse publishes more than just licensed comics…

Chaos Reincarnation
Monarch Researcher

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:23 am I mean, Dark Horse publishes more than just licensed comics…
Sshhh nope. No other money to be made elsewhere. 🫣

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Dark Horse seems to be coming back up.

For a few years it seemed they were losing all their licenses and even their artists with creator-owned books were jumping ship to other publishers. Just doing the math; they were putting out only a few issues of comics every month.

Now? Creator-owned books like Usagi Yojimbo and The Goon are back at DH. Their licenses have beefed up: they're doing Star Wars books again, they're doing Stranger Things, Cyberpunk, Kevin Smith, Masters of the Universe, and Ghostbusters comics. They're putting out like... (checks their website) 20 issues a month.

Honestly, I think the shaky nature of the industry has benefited DH. IDW has had a lot of trouble (if they went under I think DH would scoop up Godzilla and TMNT almost immediately), managing a small publisher or self publishing is difficult and takes a ton of time and effort, and even though Disney owns something like Star Wars and owns a comic publisher they've realized that having someone pay for the license is just free money with no effort from them so why not do it? DH's stability and durability as an institution serves them over time.