Marvel Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Re: Marvel Godzilla

Post by ILL GREEN »

I have all twenty four issues for they were cheap and plentiful in the late eighties.

Its a true americanized attempt at Godzilla and he doesn't have laser eyebeams. In this series an atomic bomb melts an iceberg that just so happens to house Godzilla and he sets on a rampage in Seattle. He battles more than one monster at a time but they are all Marvel's creations (Toho banks on each monster seperately I guess). Godzilla is like a powerhouse of destruction and SHEILD agents and scientists figure ways to rid of him but new threats arises and Godzilla, just being the alpha-kaiju, battles the adversaries alongside the humans but then destroys more cities. It pretty cool read and detatched from the Toho world. No Jet Jaguar but Godzilla is assisted by Red Ronin, a samurai type of jaeger controlled by a japanese scientist that only wants to save Godzilla and keep him away from the humans but the mighty G's power proved that Godzilla is a loner and thats how it ends. Also there are issues where they shrink Godzilla to 6 inches and he battles sewer rats claiming king. But he starts to grow and he's running around New York lol. Its dope, don't pass it.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Is there any possible change that IDW could reissue the Marvel and Dark Horse comics in full-color? They did with the Marvel and Dreamwave Transformer comics.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

starsteam wrote:Is there any possible change that IDW could reissue the Marvel and Dark Horse comics in full-color? They did with the Marvel and Dreamwave Transformer comics.
I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, the Marvel Transformers didn't include BIG crossovers with the Avengers or Fantastic Four, plus cameos by Spiderman or Nick Fury. These are all high-profile characters, even moreso following the success of the Marvel films and Spiderman franchise. It seems like a daunting (and EXPENSIVE) task to get the rights...

cosmow
Samurai

Post by cosmow »

You nailed it Pkmatrix.

While it's a possibility (a very remote one) for the Dark Horse books, there most likely will not be a reprint of the Marvel book. That is due to the fact that so many of Marvel's characters appeared in it, and it's simply a matter of needing to license all of those characters.

Special permission was given to us to finally reprint Transformers #3 (guest-starring Spider-Man) as well as Circuit Breaker. If you look back at early IDW reprints of those books, you'll notice that they're, um... different. The series a few years ago with Transformers/Avengers was collected in the Transformers: The IDW Collection Volume 4. Marvel was Marvel then, now they're owned by Disney and had a huge movie, too. I doubt we'll see that book reprinted because of that.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Well shucks, that makes sense then. What the the chances of Marvel releasing a full color edition then? Since the Essentials is now OOP.

GodzillavsGamera
G-Grasper

Post by GodzillavsGamera »

I really enjoyed the Run Godzilla had in Marvel (MegaMonster, Devil Dinosaur, Red Ronin) BW or not this was a collection I bought as soon as I saw it. I enjoyed the Dark Horse run as well but the Marvel for me was just plain fun. I really think Rulers of the Earth are bringing that fun Factor so many Godzilla Comics have been lacking.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Looking back on the Godzilla vs. the Mega-Monsters storyline in issues #12-14, I've got one major issue about it (besides the terrible artwork in the third part): it was two monsters against three! In the first part, the Betan commander said that, even though he couldn't kill the Mega-Monsters, the Beta-Beast was their most powerful war-monster. Wouldn't it have made sense for Godzilla not to have killed him, but instead have both of them sent back to Earth to team up with Red Ronin, so the odds would be even on both sides? Or maybe after Godzilla killed him, the Beta-Beast could have been revived and sent down later in the fight, with the same results? Any thoughts on this?

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

BTW you can take that "Bernie Sanders for President", and shove it up yer azz, Commie...
If any Mod has a problem with THAT, explain to us ALL why you are allowing POLITICS in a non-political thread, eh? :evil:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MandaSaurus wrote:BTW you can take that "Bernie Sanders for President", and shove it up yer azz, Commie...
If any Mod has a problem with THAT, explain to us ALL why you are allowing POLITICS in a non-political thread, eh? :evil:
what are you even talking about?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

MandaSaurus wrote:BTW you can take that "Bernie Sanders for President", and shove it up yer azz, Commie...
I... don't see that anywhere?

Either way, the mods may have trouble with the recommended anatomical rearrangement more than they would the invocation is politics.

2016 was the Kobyashi Maru, folks. Let's just accept that our election ballots reflected the Darkest Possible Timeline, and that everyone who voted as they did was making the best of a bad situation no matter who they voted for- and try to heal (and survive) until the next (hopefully-better) election.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Getting back on topic it turns out this series was cancelled due to Toho wanting Marvel to charge more for the comics then Marvel thought was a fair price and thus ended it. Toho drops that ball again!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzillian wrote:Getting back on topic it turns out this series was cancelled due to Toho wanting Marvel to charge more for the comics then Marvel thought was a fair price and thus ended it. Toho drops that ball again!
Oh, is that what it was? I always thought that one of the reasons was because Marvel had said in issue #1 that they would use their own characters sparingly in the comic and when they did that whole "Godzilla vs. the Fantastic Four and the Avengers" thing in the end, they had overstepped their bounds and Toho called them out on it. It seems that I was wrong. I did know, however, that it was Toho, not Marvel, that pulled the plug. That's too bad, because if they hadn't, the fans might have gotten that Godzilla vs. the Hulk fight that they were begging for in the letters page.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The Marvel comics are a lot of fun and in some areas outmatch Dark Horse and IDW. There's a ton of variety packed into those 20 something issues and the stories bleed into each other quite well.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Resized Image
Zarm wrote:I... don't see that anywhere?
+1
Zarm wrote:Either way, the mods may have trouble with the recommended anatomical rearrangement more than they would the invocation is politics.
You don't speak for me, for I am an Adminorstrator. I still can't believe it's not butter, this is using like - 90% of my brain power.
Brain damage inducing posting aside on my behalf. Yea - i'm missing something Manda. Where did this Bernie rant come from? Like --- what?
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodEmperorGabara
The Modfather
The Modfather

Post by GodEmperorGabara »

Did you mean to respond to somebody via PM or are you suffering from a stroke? :eh:
I hate you eternally now Derzerb, I hope you know this.
<3

Made a Discord server, feel free to message me if you're interested.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Ummmm... What the hell is going on here?

Okay, let's get back on topic, and not get siderailed like that again...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I always liked the Marvel Godzilla series, just as a goofy experiment if nothing else. I mean its Godzilla in 70s Marvel. When I read it, I got pretty much what I expected out of it.

I mean where else can I see Godzilla shrunk down and running around in a trenchcoat before getting into a fist fight with The Thing?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Still mad at Toho for cancelling it

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Marvel comics are actually great, except for the fact that a majority of the monsters have really bad designs. And then there’s the issue a lot of the monsters are just stand ins.

I always thought it was great how the series ends on a high note.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So there is gonna be a special panel dedicated to the marvel Godzilla comic at G-fest this year