Post Your Book Collection

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Post Your Book Collection

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Hybrid Gojira wrote:

Godzilla: All History Character Summary (Kodansha)
Eb, is this worth getting? I'm primarily looking for picture books since I can't read Japanese (behind the scenes photos, suit making, etc.). All of your recommendations so far have been great, so I'm curious as to your thoughts on this book.[/quote]

It's pretty good, but it's very similar to the book below:

If you already have the above book, then I recommend passing on it. Otherwise, it's a solid photo book if you can find it at a good price (not worth over spending for, however)....

Added in 20 minutes 5 seconds:
This one is a nice little photo book as well on a smaller scale:

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

With more on the way.
Others include the entire IDW run (main series and minis) minus the trades; Essential Godzilla (Marvel Essentials); Dark Horse special and Dark Horse Godzilla King of the Monsters #1-16 (plus issues #10 and #11 of the Dark Horse Comics run featuring Godzilla); and digital versions of the Super Complete Works of vs. King Ghidorah, vs. Mothra 1992, vs. Mechagodzilla 1993, vs. SpaceGodzilla, vs. Destoroyah, Rebirth of Mothra (1, 2, 3), Godzilla 2000, and GFW. The Japanese are crazy lucky with all the info and pictures they get!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Arrived in the mail today:

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

:D

My friend Dan reviews a 1956 Rodan manga. The actual manga is shown and all the pages are flipped through. Please watch and enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2-ONzqkVFc
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Thanks for posting this, fun video.

The 2nd Kuronuma book you posted is the official novelization of Rodan, but it is a softcover also, not a hardbound like the Godzilla novel.

StirrupLeather
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by StirrupLeather »

Hey, thanks for sharing, Kaiju no Mura! I've been wanting to see the interior of that manga for a while now! :)
What do you mean there wasn't a Millennium Era in Japan?

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:25 pm This book is far better than a similar themed book released a while back (which focused mostly on GxMG's Shaku Yumiko instead of a *real* comprehensive book on TOHO's Godzilla women).
Does anyone know what Yumiko Shaku book is being mentioned here on the first page? I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Godzilla book that mostly focuses on uh... uh... Yumiko Shaku

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

PuzzledAmphibian wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:25 pm
ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:25 pm This book is far better than a similar themed book released a while back (which focused mostly on GxMG's Shaku Yumiko instead of a *real* comprehensive book on TOHO's Godzilla women).
Does anyone know what Yumiko Shaku book is being mentioned here on the first page? I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Godzilla book that mostly focuses on uh... uh... Yumiko Shaku

Here it is:

Unless you find it super discounted, the Godzilla Actresses mook by Yosensha is far better and more comprehensive.

If you're looking for it just for Shaku Yumiko....then Google image search my friend.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Film books (two of which I'm still reading as you can tell from the bookmarks):

Novels:

Graphic Novels:

Comics (with a couple more graphic novels thrown in):

A mere fraction of my 'G-Fan' collection that goes all the way back to 2011:

'Famous Monsters of Filmland' and two other magazines:
These aren't the only 'FM' issues I have that include kaiju related articles, but I figured I'd leave those out because they don't have the appropriate covers.

AcroCat32
Young Farmer

Post by AcroCat32 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 am Some of my favorite series of Godzilla books are the "Super Complete Works" series by Shogakukan. The distinct, unique covers of these books (up close shots of Godzilla and his main rival's mugs) combined with the kaleidoscope of photo layouts on every page, 360 shots of each suit, loads of making of/behind the scenes still, these books are fantastic. It's a shame that we didn't get a "Super Complete Works" book for the latest 2014 film (I think they actually made one for the turdfest GINO), but at least we got the recently published Shogakukan All Toho Monster Encyclopedia book this past August.

The photos below of the ones I managed to hunt down stateside in Missouri (which was no easy feat, let me tell ya :lol: ) Unfortunately, most of the photos below are not original photos by me...they're various images I've found online from various places, for all my Super Complete Works books are back in America and I bought *long* before coming to Japan. The next time I go back stateside (who knows when that will be...haven't been home for nearly 5 years with no foreseeable plans too), I'll definitely try to take a group shot of all of the Shogakukan "Super Complete Works" books together.

I've also got the Mothra 3 Super Complete Works, but can't find any decent photo to represent it here.

And now here's a group photo of various "Super Complete Works" books I've managed to hunt down over the years while in Japan:
Saying that you have an impressive collection is an understatement here.
The only Shogakukan Godzilla books I found are the 1954-1999 & Millennium SCW.
They're on the Internet Archive (.org), where I find a lot of hidden gems. (I entered てれびくんデラックス愛蔵版).
Is there any chance you plan on scanning your books? I crave knowledge.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

AcroCat32 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:00 am Is there any chance you plan on scanning your books?
Nope

AcroCat32
Young Farmer

Post by AcroCat32 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:33 am
AcroCat32 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:00 am Is there any chance you plan on scanning your books?
Nope
Damn.
Well, I'm off to the information mines.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:20 am Here it is:
Sorry it slipped my mind but I wanted to thank you for responding to my question, I now own both of those
ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:20 am If you're looking for it just for Shaku Yumiko....then Google image search my friend.
:lol: I use duckduckgo, but thanks for the tip :twisted:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Does anyone have the book titled "Since Godzilla"? I'm on the fence about it, but would probably buy it if it came with a poster. I swear I've seen posters of the cover photo, so wondering if it comes with it.