Post Your Book Collection

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post Your Book Collection

Post by terrypierson »

I can't believe this thread doesn't exist yet. Post your Godzilla and kaiju books! Novels, comics, non-fiction, whatever - show it off!

I'll start. It's not a great picture but by chance I had about all of mine out the other day.

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Re: Post Your Book Collection

Post by Dogbert »

All I've got is the first of the marvel godzilla comics.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Way too many magazines and comics to fit in a single pic, otherwise I only have a few books.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

It would be quicker for me to list the books on Godzilla that I don't have.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

I recently got the Ian Thorne godzilla book.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I've got tons of Godzilla books, and I'm almost as serious about collecting Japanese G books as I am about Godzilla figures. Here are just a few of my favorites in my collection (I'll definitely post more photos of my book collection in the future, as there are strict limits on TK on how many photos we can upload in a single post):

Pictorial Books of Godzilla 1&2

Still the measuring stick for what I expect in a great Godzilla book. The main focus of these two books is not really the films themselves, but the actual suits of the monsters. An amazing collection of rare photos from multiple angles of all of the major monster suits, puppets, and props. It's really a shame that a Pictorial Book of Godzilla 3 was never published, as there are plenty of suits props and materials from both the Mothra 3 series and the Godzilla Millennium series that could easily fill up a 3rd book(however, the equally amazing Shogakukan series of kaiju film books have more than filled this void over the years).

The bottom line is that no serious G book collector should be without these two great books.

Godzilla Encyclopedia 1954-1999

IMO, this ranks right up with the Pictorial Books. Each page is colorful kaleidoscope of fascinating, and often rare images from not only the Godzilla series, but most of the non-G sci-fi films by TOHO as well. This book is by Shogakukan, and I believe they produce the best damn G books out there.

Godzilla Pocket Guide 52

A wonderful little gem of a book that always seems to slip under the radar and overlooked in these G book
discussions. Unlike these aforementioned books, this book does not focus on the suits or films, but the monsters themselves. It is basically a massive, compact dictionary of all Toho daikaiju and stats slickly organized into categories (earth monsters, space monsters, mecha, etc). In addition, this book also details all of the human enemy and alien factions (i.e. X-seijin, Nebula Space Hunter M, Red Bamboo, etc.) or mutants (Matango, H-man, Vapor Man, Vampire Doll, etc.) and most of the major military weapons. All of the SFX films from G54-GFW are covered, so this is about as comprehensive as a pocket guide could get. Hell, even the most insignificant creatures, such as the jungle lizard from GvsKing Kong and the "Leaf man" that attacks Ichiro in G's Revenge are featured...talk about dedication :shock: :g2k: This book is rather inexpensive compared to most Japanese books at around $10, so you can get a lot of bang for your buck. It's also fairly easy to find to boot...this book is vintage Shogakukan at their best.

Godzilla Women of Toho Mook

This book is far better than a similar themed book released a while back (which focused mostly on GxMG's Shaku Yumiko instead of a *real* comprehensive book on TOHO's Godzilla women). Really a great book with a lot of stills of the most famous TOHO SFX actresses I had never seen before, as well as interviews with most of these lovely ladies (in Japanese of course). Even Tomoko Ai, who disappeared after making TOMG and has never really been interviewed, has a lengthy interview in this book. I wish I had a scanner so I could scan some of the photos...really cool stuff.

My only real complaint is that it bills itself as covering Godzilla girls from 1954-2004....yet, the coverage of heisei series women is very low, with only a few publicity/movie stills, and the millenium series women get next to zilch. However, as I mentioned, the showa series coverage is fantastic...even the more obscure actresses of this era of Godzilla films are covered.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:I've got tons of Godzilla books, and I'm almost as serious about collecting Japanese G books as I am about Godzilla figures. Here are just a few of my favorites in my collection (I'll definitely post more photos of my book collection in the future, as there are strict limits on TK on how many photos we can upload in a single post):

Pictorial Books of Godzilla 1&2

Still the measuring stick for what I expect in a great Godzilla book. The main focus of these two books is not really the films themselves, but the actual suits of the monsters. An amazing collection of rare photos from multiple angles of all of the major monster suits, puppets, and props. It's really a shame that a Pictorial Book of Godzilla 3 was never published, as there are plenty of suits props and materials from both the Mothra 3 series and the Godzilla Millennium series that could easily fill up a 3rd book(however, the equally amazing Shogakukan series of kaiju film books have more than filled this void over the years).

The bottom line is that no serious G book collector should be without these two great books.

Godzilla Encyclopedia 1954-1999

IMO, this ranks right up with the Pictorial Books. Each page is colorful kaleidoscope of fascinating, and often rare images from not only the Godzilla series, but most of the non-G sci-fi films by TOHO as well. This book is by Shogakukan, and I believe they produce the best damn G books out there.

Godzilla Pocket Guide 52

A wonderful little gem of a book that always seems to slip under the radar and overlooked in these G book
discussions. Unlike these aforementioned books, this book does not focus on the suits or films, but the monsters themselves. It is basically a massive, compact dictionary of all Toho daikaiju and stats slickly organized into categories (earth monsters, space monsters, mecha, etc). In addition, this book also details all of the human enemy and alien factions (i.e. X-seijin, Nebula Space Hunter M, Red Bamboo, etc.) or mutants (Matango, H-man, Vapor Man, Vampire Doll, etc.) and most of the major military weapons. All of the SFX films from G54-GFW are covered, so this is about as comprehensive as a pocket guide could get. Hell, even the most insignificant creatures, such as the jungle lizard from GvsKing Kong and the "Leaf man" that attacks Ichiro in G's Revenge are featured...talk about dedication :shock: :g2k: This book is rather inexpensive compared to most Japanese books at around $10, so you can get a lot of bang for your buck. It's also fairly easy to find to boot...this book is vintage Shogakukan at their best.

Godzilla Women of Toho Mook

This book is far better than a similar themed book released a while back (which focused mostly on GxMG's Shaku Yumiko instead of a *real* comprehensive book on TOHO's Godzilla women). Really a great book with a lot of stills of the most famous TOHO SFX actresses I had never seen before, as well as interviews with most of these lovely ladies (in Japanese of course). Even Tomoko Ai, who disappeared after making TOMG and has never really been interviewed, has a lengthy interview in this book. I wish I had a scanner so I could scan some of the photos...really cool stuff.

My only real complaint is that it bills itself as covering Godzilla girls from 1954-2004....yet, the coverage of heisei series women is very low, with only a few publicity/movie stills, and the millenium series women get next to zilch. However, as I mentioned, the showa series coverage is fantastic...even the more obscure actresses of this era of Godzilla films are covered.

If its not too much to ask would you mind posting some pics of the pages from the book Godzilla Encyclopedia 1954-1999?

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

cloverfan98 wrote:
If its not too much to ask would you mind posting some pics of the pages from the book Godzilla Encyclopedia 1954-1999?
I posted quite a few pics from this book in the Ghidrah The Three-Head Monster Talkback thread quite awhile back:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... &start=140

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

Completely up to date with #12 of the ongoing, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Kaw1FtaaA

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I was bored enough this morning to organize and snap a pic.
Kind of sad that outside of comics and magazines, I only have three books.

Edit: Crap, I forgot issue Three of the 2012 Ongoing. Must be in storage somewhere...
Ah, found it, and some other things I forgot.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

It's not much but here's what i got.
Comics

Cards

And books
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I had my issues of G-Fan pictured too but accidently deleted them off my camera.

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I just got into collecting Godzilla books. I have some cool books from Japan including movie guide books (what i'm guessing they are) to Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, and GMK. I also have a book that is all the concept art, story boards, and promo art for Godzilla vs Mothra. I want to get more of these. They are pretty choice.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Just curious, but does anyone out there a sizable amount of Japanese Godzilla/daikaiju books in their collection? Something else besides the usual DH-IDW comics/GFan/Random House stuff? I'll be posting some more of my Japanese book collection in the future...

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Just curious, but does anyone out there a sizable amount of Japanese Godzilla/daikaiju books in their collection? Something else besides the usual DH-IDW comics/GFan/Random House stuff? I'll be posting some more of my Japanese book collection in the future...
I don't have a ton per say, but I did manage to pick up 2 or 3 Japanese books from my recent trip to Japan. Add those to another Japanese book I have plus 2 manga that comes to at least 5 or 6 altogether. I need to double check.

EDIT: 5 in total,

ExAces
Young Farmer

Post by ExAces »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Godzilla Pocket Guide 52
[url]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/kingugidora5000_2010/Shogakukan%20Books/ShogakukanGPocketGuide52.jpg[/url]

Would love to know where I can get my hands on a copy of this...

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

That women of toho book seems interesting. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. There have been some really hot chicks in the Godzilla movies.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Official Godzilla Compendium
Japan's Favorite Mon-star
Godzilla Chronicles vol. 3
Godzilla 1954 - 1999 - The Perfect Guidebook
Godzilla (by Ian Thorne)
Godzilla Returns
Godzilla 2000
Godzillla at World's End
Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters
Godzilla (1985 Manga)
Godzilla: Past, Present and Future
Godzilla: Age of Monsters

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Here's mine:

Novels/Books:

Comic Books:
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

Kugasami wrote:All I've got is the first of the marvel godzilla comics.
Now I have meet godzilla and Godzilla legends 1 & 2.