Post Your Book Collection

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Post Your Book Collection

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

One great thing about the release of the 2014 film here in Japan is the plethora of new Godzilla books that have been released. Here are some of the new books I've picked up so far:

Various Books (The two Yosensha books on the bottom, Shodai Godzilla and All TOHO Daikaiju book are real standouts and are quickly growing into two of my favorite Japanese G books)

Artwork of Yasushi Torisawa

Godzilla: All History Character Summary (Kodansha)

All Toho Monster Encyclopedia (Shogakukan)
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LonqueeshaBonkiesha
Ronin

Post by LonqueeshaBonkiesha »

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

LonqueeshaBonkiesha wrote:http://i.imgur.com/xhJocvx.jpg
I hate you so much :) been looking everywhere for those at a decent price!

LonqueeshaBonkiesha
Ronin

Post by LonqueeshaBonkiesha »

I plan on scanning them sooner or later. Don't know why anybody else didn't do it.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Some of my favorite series of Godzilla books are the "Super Complete Works" series by Shogakukan. The distinct, unique covers of these books (up close shots of Godzilla and his main rival's mugs) combined with the kaleidoscope of photo layouts on every page, 360 shots of each suit, loads of making of/behind the scenes still, these books are fantastic. It's a shame that we didn't get a "Super Complete Works" book for the latest 2014 film (I think they actually made one for the turdfest GINO), but at least we got the recently published Shogakukan All Toho Monster Encyclopedia book this past August.

The photos below of the ones I managed to hunt down stateside in Missouri (which was no easy feat, let me tell ya :lol: ) Unfortunately, most of the photos below are not original photos by me...they're various images I've found online from various places, for all my Super Complete Works books are back in America and I bought *long* before coming to Japan. The next time I go back stateside (who knows when that will be...haven't been home for nearly 5 years with no foreseeable plans too), I'll definitely try to take a group shot of all of the Shogakukan "Super Complete Works" books together.

I've also got the Mothra 3 Super Complete Works, but can't find any decent photo to represent it here.

And now here's a group photo of various "Super Complete Works" books I've managed to hunt down over the years while in Japan:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

All I have is IDW's Godzilla Volume One and Godzilla: The Official Novel Of The Movie or something like that on a Kindle.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Pretty much every IDW trade, yes even the Kingdom of Monsters stuff.
Godzilla 2014 novelization.
Godzilla Compendium.
Cersari books minus Godzilla Returns.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Recent new books in my collection:

Yosensha recently eleased an updated edition of their TOHO Godzilla Girls MOOK with some new interviews:

And of course the GODZILLA'S HEROIC YEARS: 1969-1975 "Godzilla 'Toho Champion" Perfection

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Some recent additions to the ol' book collection:

Pen Magazine: Godzilla edition

Pen Magazine is a popular men's life-style magazines in Japan. So during the summer last year when the LP film was released, they dedicated an entire issue to Godzilla. To be honest, I think the contents in this particular issue of Pen is on par (and in some cases better) than some of the Godzilla books released last year, so this magazine really surprised me. Besides covering the 2014 film, they covered all 28 of the TOHO films, movie posters, a kaiju encyclopedia profile all of the TOHO kaiju that appeared in a G film, a nice little map outline of cities/sites trampled by Godzilla and co. throughout the series, and a surprisingly extensive section covering all of the various mecha/vehicles.. Even Bob Eggleton is featured with some of his IDW work.

Special Effects Soul - KawaKita Biography

This book was originally released back in 2010, but was reprinted this past January in light to Kawakita's recent passing. This book is very text heavy and not for everyone. However, the few stills that are scattered throughout the book are very interesting, with quite a few rare stills of Kawakita on the sets of Showa films from Matango to GvsMG cutting his teeth under Tsuburaya and Nakano. Also included are some stills of the likes of James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, and Roland Emmerich (yes, that last one was not a typo) visiting TOHO studios. I'm not the biggest fan of Kawakita, but this book seems a lot more deeper than most Kawakita-focused books that focus almost exclusively on his Heisei series work.

Yuriko Hishimi Photo Book - Evergreen 1967-73

This just came about 2 months ago and as the title suggest, is a photo book dedicated to everyone's favorite ass-kicking karate babe Yuriko Hishimi (aka Momagon) from GvsGigan as well as Ultra-Seven. Actually, there weren't many stills from this book that I could show here, for as one might guess, it's filled with a lot of...um...shall we say "natural, artistic" photo shoots she did between 1967-73 due to most members on this board being way too young. Let's just say that she's a very lovely woman. :gigan: :thumbsup: Overall, a nice photo book of an actress who often gets lost in the shuffle with the likes Kumi Mizuno, Mie Hama, Akiko Wakabayashi, Tomoko Ai and overlooked for her contributions to the tokusatsu genre.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Picked up the new TOHO Movie Special Effects Treasures Vol.1 Yosensha MOOK a few weeks ago. Here is with my other Godzilla Yosensha *Mooks":

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Just added two recently released Yosensha photo books (I'm really digging this series of books and hope there will more in the future) with the Kawakita and Murase Books. The Murase Book in particular is fantastic, with many rare photos from his career(include KG's initial blue color scheme before they decided to switch to gold) beyond just Godzilla films, as there are photos of his work on The Mighty Peking Man, Yongary, Greenman, Gamera vs Viras, and so on. Really good stuff inside these books.

If this series continues (which I hope it does), I would like to see Teruyoshi Nakano, Taiko Inoue, and Eiichi Asada gets books in this series, as well as suit actor Tsutomu Kitagawa (who has rarely received any attention of significance for his suit work compared to Nakajima and Satsuma)...

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

Lots of great stuff you have ebirahsmeg1. I am looking forward to the Murase book when I receive it.

This is the oldest Godzilla book in my kaiju book collection. Shown is the very first Godzilla manga from 1954 by Omoshiro Books. The cover dates November issue. But it was actually released October 1954 which predates the movie's release on November 3, 1954. I took seperate pictures of the front, side binding, and back cover. The manga is a little fragile so I didn't want to fold it flat in one picture and took the pictures separately. Also, the second oldest I have is a 1957 Godzilla manga.
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Kaiju no Mura wrote:Lots of great stuff you have ebirahsmeg1. I am looking forward to the Murase book when I receive it.

This is the oldest Godzilla book in my kaiju book collection. Shown is the very first Godzilla manga from 1954 by Omoshiro Books. The cover dates November issue. But it was actually released October 1954 which predates the movie's release on November 3, 1954. I took seperate pictures of the front, side binding, and back cover. The manga is a little fragile so I didn't want to fold it flat in one picture and took the pictures separately. Also, the second oldest I have is a 1957 Godzilla manga.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7715/170 ... 5a6c_o.jpg
Great stuff Kaiju no Mura :g64:

Last year, there was a book released that re-printed 1950s manga of both G54 and GRA (and I believe the book you have above from Omoshiro Books is also reprinted inside):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B4%E3%82 ... YG2X38BZ22

I thumbed through it at a book store and sort of regret not picking it up. I haven't seen it in bookstores since its initial release, but as one can see, it can still be ordered for roughly $20 + shipping), but I do remember the oxygen destroyer looking like a bowling ball with a cork, and they simply took the cork out to activate it :lol:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Latest additions to the collection:

Recently purchased the new GvsBiollante: Completion Japan Hobby book. Here it is with the other "Perfection/Completion" Japan Hobby books:

Various IDW/Comic Book-related stuff:

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Shout out to ebirahsmeg1 and klen7 for their book recommendations...because today, these came in from Amazon -

I haven't looked through them yet, but I'm sure it will be a blast.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Thought I'd revive this thread with some pictures of my Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985 collection. The two pieces I had the hardest time getting were the pop-up book and the 28"x20" poster-calendar.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

^^
You definitely live up to your moniker G1985 ;) Great stuff!

In a few days, quite a few new Godzilla-related books in Japan are scheduled to be released. I'll be heading to the book store and posting my thoughts if I decide any of them are worthy of purchasing.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Does anyone know much about this series of books?

There are few - are they worth picking up?
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Godzilla: All History Character Summary (Kodansha)
Eb, is this worth getting? I'm primarily looking for picture books since I can't read Japanese (behind the scenes photos, suit making, etc.). All of your recommendations so far have been great, so I'm curious as to your thoughts on this book.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Hybrid Gojira wrote:Does anyone know much about this series of books?

https://img.mandarake.co.jp/webshopimg/ ... 048850.jpg

There are few - are they worth picking up?
TK has reviews for the 1st and 3rd volumes:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzil ... nicles.htm
http://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzil ... cles3.html
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock