Godzilla: The Ultimate Illustrated Guide

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Legion1979
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: The Ultimate Illustrated Guide

Post by Legion1979 »

I'll probably get it because I love books but damn, it really doesn't look like it's anything special. Anything Toho-approved isn't going to be.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

If you're into the movies, there won't be any mind-blowing revelations as part of the trivia, the info's incredibly basic with simple facts sprinkled here and there. It's a digestible way for people not already versed to hop in and sample what the series has to offer. There's an astonishing amount of pictures, though!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

It’s a good Christmas present for kids who’re just getting interested in Godzilla. This will be very valuable for youngsters. I can see it getting checked out over and over at libraries.

Legion1979
Sazer

Post by Legion1979 »

The more I see products like this the more I want to see something like Steve Ryfle's "Japan's Favorite Mon-Star" updated, or at least a volume 2. There's been enough to justify it.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I am more than halfway through the book. I am enjoying it overall. There are many awesome photos in it. I do wish they would have had a section where they spotlighted each monster from the franchise (something along the lines of an expanded/updated “Official Godzilla Compendium”), but as for books written in English, I think this book is best one to get if you want lots of images from the films.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Legion1979
Sazer

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm sure the photos are cool. But is there anything of substance in the way of text?

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:47 pm I'm sure the photos are cool. But is there anything of substance in the way of text?
So far, not likely to be anything that I believe hardcore Godzilla fans wouldn’t know about already. But I have only just made it through the Heisei Series thus far.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Legion1979
Sazer

Post by Legion1979 »

Like a bunch of other people I got this today. Going in I knew I was just buying this to say I had it (and I needed something to spend a gift card on). It's a lot like the Official Compendium, in that you're not going to learn anything you don't already know and the text is simplistic, sanitized and 100% Toho approved. It even calls Final Wars a success, for crying out loud. There are some cool photos of the earlier movies but it's mainly stuff we've seen a million times elsewhere. They even use the wrong photos to represent certain movies (a photo of the ratty Ghidorah costume from Zone Fighter is included in the section for Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster). It's really a book that does the bare minimum to get by. Recommended if your bookshelf is in desperate need of some Godzilla content, but that's it.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
JXSDF Technician

Post by Angilasman »

Well, the fact it's sold out everywhere may be a good sign for further Godzilla books! There's many, many Japanese books I'd love to see get an English language release.

Legion1979
Sazer

Post by Legion1979 »

Amazon says it's still in stock, so I wouldn't say it's sold out everywhere.

Also, isn't this an original book and not derived from something Japanese? I dont think it's likely at all that they'll ever localize a Japanese book for release in this country, especially considering Toho wants to control anything printed in an official English book. This book was 100% surface level, and if you don't think that's how Toho wants it to be I don't know what to tell you.

Angilasman
JXSDF Technician

Post by Angilasman »

^ I'm thinking more art books!

And Amazon is only selling through third part sellers. B&N is also sold out.