IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:19 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:49 pm A little late here, but I finally stared Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors. And this is exactly what I thought it was going to be. Just throwing it out there, but this is the most cringe-y bad, officially released piece of Godzilla media I have ever had the displeasure of slogging through. I burned through the first three issues before stopping and deciding to just do one a day until done entirely... I got one issue left, and I'm 100% sure I know exactly what's going to happen.

First and foremost, the art style is just DREADFUL. You know why I don't want an American Godzilla cartoon now days? Because of art styles like this. If this wasn't Godzilla, the detailing given to him would make me think he was covered in fur. A brief shot of Anguirus has the same exact detailing despite both characters having drastically different skin textures. I know this is extremely nitpicky, but it simply drives me nuts how bad this art looks. It'd be fine for something on Deviant Art, sure. But to know someone actually got to do this while there's HUNDREDS of unknown artists floating around dying for this type of opportunity infuriates me.

But Mothra looks good... So yay?

The human designs are just as generic as you'd think, with typical broad-shouldered, slick back hair cardboard cutout CEO villain. He's virtually just an even lamer Walter Simons from GvK, if that was even possible. And the kid characters range from tolerable to just annoying... But let's get to the priestesses, in which we have to pound into our head for some reason that they're not fairies! Their magic characters that have the convenient ability to not be seen nor heard by anyone else in the story, but they are surely NOT FAIRIES. Jesus Christ, this whole dialogue is just pure cringe.

If this series was actually a live action film/series, it'd rank right up there with Gamera vs. Jiger and Gamera vs. Zigra in the amounts of cringe.

It is so god damn awful. Being "aimed at kids" isn't a valid excuse for this just being as poorly done as its written and drawn. Just ask any number of other comics. I fully admit I'm not a huge comic reader, but this is a whole new level of just bad everything.

Looking forward to starting Rivals whenever I get the chance.
:shock: blimey, harsh.

How would you improve it? just outta curiosity.
Fire the entire writing and art staff.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

I'm not the biggest fan of that miniseries either... but it is just a miniseries lol. I understand your critiques to a degree, and wondering why other ideas weren't picked first, but luckily this format means someone else will get a chance just around the corner.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:47 am Fire the entire writing and art staff.
Not exactly much, but okay.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

For some reason, there's no new comics coming out this month (looks like the Power Rangers issue has been delayed a month?), but the compilation issue "Best of Godzilla" is out tomorrow. The preview reveals the issues featured:

https://www.comicon.com/2022/06/28/prev ... -one-shot/

Not going to lie, some curious choices there. I like them all well enough, but I'd hesitate to call them the "best" of IDW's run, or even the best issues of their respective series to be quite honest. Surprised that Half-Century War isn't there , but at least some Stokoe is there (and I think they kind of milked that series with several rereleases anyway IIRC). Legends #5 strikes me as particularly odd simply because, of the five issues in that series, I'd rank that one as fourth-best, but your mileage may vary.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:19 pm For some reason, there's no new comics coming out this month (looks like the Power Rangers issue has been delayed a month?), but the compilation issue "Best of Godzilla" is out tomorrow. The preview reveals the issues featured:

https://www.comicon.com/2022/06/28/prev ... -one-shot/

Not going to lie, some curious choices there. I like them all well enough, but I'd hesitate to call them the "best" of IDW's run, or even the best issues of their respective series to be quite honest. Surprised that Half-Century War isn't there , but at least some Stokoe is there (and I think they kind of milked that series with several rereleases anyway IIRC). Legends #5 strikes me as particularly odd simply because, of the five issues in that series, I'd rank that one as fourth-best, but your mileage may vary.
It feels like IDW and Godzilla specifically have gotten it really rough. I think it's easy to assume there might be some copyright issues, but at the rate this is going it's possible there's some other things going on. I really got into the momentum of the Godzilla vs. MMPR so I'm really looking forward to reading the next issue. I hope the delays aren't cause by some larger monetary problem or anything. Goes without saying but even if you can't buy physical comics, please buy them digitally.

Anyways, in regards to "Best of Godzilla", I agree that the choices are curious. However, I think it works well as a "sample platter" to show IDW offerings.

Godzilla Legends 5 is a solid human focused story, and actually works well at introducing Godzilla (ironically Kumonga is barely a focus of the issue). I think that's why they chose it.

Godzilla in Hell 1, shows some of the artistic variation from the comic run, and is a strange and solid tale. Godzilla Rulers of Earth isn't necessarily standalone, but it features, in my opinion, some of the best art by Matt Frank, and doesn't require much knowledge going in. Godzilla Rage Across Time 5 is a fun monster mash that makes up for some of the lack of other monsters in the compendium. I also get the impression they wanted to have a variety of art styles. They also appeared to have chosen issues that really only focus on Godzilla. I guess it really is a "Best of Godzilla". I don't think it would work as "the best of IDW run", but all the issues I'd pick require some foreknowledge, or ate climaxes to stories.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

So, this "best of" collection doesn't feature iconic IDW Godzilla characters President Ogden or Girly Yaya? Disappointed.
(Seriously, wtf was the deal with Kingdom of Monsters?)
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'm still waiting for Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2.

I'm surprised IDW hasn't thought of that one long ago.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:54 am I'm still waiting for Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2.

Because it's pointless.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:43 am
mikelcho wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:54 am I'm still waiting for Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2.

Because it's pointless.
Hey, I figure if one's going to start something, the least one can do is finish it...at least up to Godzilla:Rage Across Time, thus ending the first period. The current second period will have to wait for pretty much a long time, at least as far as I can see.

We can dream, can't we?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Godzilla of Mars commission by ADAM GORHAM , same guy Godzilla Rivals vs King Ghidorah.
https://twitter.com/AdamTGorham/status/ ... 5945022464
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

This was posted in another thread, but worth re-posting here:
Gotschiller wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:04 pm Just found out that there are going to be two more Godzilla-related panels at SDCC. It seems that a new IDW project will be revealed.

If Erik Burnham is involved in unveiling a new project, it may very well be a sequel to Monsters & Protectors. Personally wouldn't mind an alien-centric sequel (though I get a strange feeling others may not feel the same for some reason), but in all honesty I think I'd prefer something totally new. I want to see them go back to the vein of creativity that allowed the exploration of a desolate, post-apocalyptic wasteland, tales of the kaiju influencing major events in world history, or you know, Godzilla literally ending up in literal Hell.

Regardless, I've been eagerly anticipating the next series reveal, so its nice to know news is on the way. Another crossover wouldn't surprise me.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:16 pm This was posted in another thread, but worth re-posting here:
Gotschiller wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:04 pm Just found out that there are going to be two more Godzilla-related panels at SDCC. It seems that a new IDW project will be revealed.

If Erik Burnham is involved in unveiling a new project, it may very well be a sequel to Monsters & Protectors.
Good fucking God, no.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:16 pm This was posted in another thread, but worth re-posting here:

If Erik Burnham is involved in unveiling a new project, it may very well be a sequel to Monsters & Protectors. Personally wouldn't mind an alien-centric sequel (though I get a strange feeling others may not feel the same for some reason), but in all honesty I think I'd prefer something totally new. I want to see them go back to the vein of creativity that allowed the exploration of a desolate, post-apocalyptic wasteland, tales of the kaiju influencing major events in world history, or you know, Godzilla literally ending up in literal Hell.

Regardless, I've been eagerly anticipating the next series reveal, so its nice to know news is on the way. Another crossover wouldn't surprise me.
I hope that someday, IDW's going to continue the mainstream story line from where it left off and finally get Minilla (hopefully the 2004 version) and Ganimes in it at last.

Maybe, they can even release Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 and finish that project off...for now (this would pick up where the previous issue left off by finishing Godzilla: Rulers of Earth's story line and end with Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1-5, thus completing the coverage of the first IDW run).
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Wasn't Ganimes kept off the roster?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:25 pm I hope that someday, IDW's going to continue the mainstream story line from where it left off and finally get Minilla (hopefully the 2004 version) and Ganimes in it at last.

Maybe, they can even release Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 and finish that project off...for now (this would pick up where the previous issue left off by finishing Godzilla: Rulers of Earth's story line and end with Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1-5, thus completing the coverage of the first IDW run).
Honestly, as much as I enjoyed IDW's main continuity (well, Godzilla and Rulers of Earth, at least), I have no desire to see a direct continuation. Pretty much every monster got their due at some point, and ROE gave us a good, albeit somewhat rushed, ending as well. They could always be more stories to explore in a setting like that where all the monsters are already established, but I really don't see IDW going back to anything they had done in their first "era" that ended in 2016.

It would certainly be nice to see Minilla/Baby Godzilla at some point, though. A little shocked they haven't used him in any capacity; more than a few American Godzilla projects liked giving Godzilla a son.
Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:55 pm Wasn't Ganimes kept off the roster?
I had actually forgotten about that; looking it up on Wikizilla, per Matt Frank:
Ganimes actually might not be under IDW’s umbrella of monsters at the moment. When the list of monsters was submitted, Ganimes was unfortunately left off by accident, and re-acquiring him would be a pain in the ass that nobody wants to deal with ;)
Mind you, this was back in 2016, so it no longer applies to whatever is in place now. I am very curious to know what IDW's new deal looks like though. Either they simply renewed their old deal with the same monsters they previously had the rights to or maybe they have a different deal in place that allows them to use whoever they want (except Kong/Mechani-Kong). Toho's old rules have clearly been relaxed (allowing redesigns, etc.), so maybe IDW has a freer reign over Toho's characters now. Won't know until a character like Ganimes, Gabara, or Godzilla Junior (characters they did not have the rights to) shows up, which could be never.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Did they not have Gabara, or IDW just never used him?

I too am curious about the deal and how deep it goes in regards to momsters.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:35 pm Did they not have Gabara, or IDW just never used him?

To my understanding they used all of the characters they had the rights to with the sole exception of Minilla (who was planned and appeared on an unused cover). Not a lot of kaiju left anyway besides the likes of the Rebirth of Mothra characters or bottom-of-the-barrel kaiju like Maguma or Dogora.

The rights are certainly interesting, I've always wanted to know more. Like, even though Toho had a separate trademark for Fire Rodan, that form is included under Rodan (which makes perfect sense of course; frankly it would be unreasonable to treat him as a separate character, just like the Mechagodzillas). But others are a lot stranger though, like Meganulon - even the Showa version - being included with Megaguirus when that one is technically a separate character.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:49 pm-of-the-barrel kaiju like Maguma
The hell you just call the great Maguma!?

Quote of the Year:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:49 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:35 pm Did they not have Gabara, or IDW just never used him?

To my understanding they used all of the characters they had the rights to with the sole exception of Minilla (who was planned and appeared on an unused cover). Not a lot of kaiju left anyway besides the likes of the Rebirth of Mothra characters or bottom-of-the-barrel kaiju like Maguma or Dogora.

The rights are certainly interesting, I've always wanted to know more. Like, even though Toho had a separate trademark for Fire Rodan, that form is included under Rodan (which makes perfect sense of course; frankly it would be unreasonable to treat him as a separate character, just like the Mechagodzillas). But others are a lot stranger though, like Meganulon - even the Showa version - being included with Megaguirus when that one is technically a separate character.
Don't forget Frankenstein (the Toho version), or is he pretty much out of the question as well?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I'm sure Franky is out.