IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by NickMockoviak »

Perhaps someone here knows the answer, but is there a reason why IDW didn't do blank variant covers for any Godzilla series? I know that they did a batch for Matt Frank and Eric Powell to sketch on, but outside of those- I haven't seen any. Marvel recently did The Rise of Ultraman #1 blank variants, so if anyone has some insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: IDW needs to release Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 and finish what they started.

At least go up to Godzilla: Rage Across Time.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So, probably should've shared this last month, but Rivals #3 "Vs. King Ghidorah" was delayed. Was supposed to be released last month, now set for later this month. Really looking forward to this one, hope it doesn't get delayed again!

Anyways, the first TPB of the series was revealed a little while ago, too, collecting the first four issues. The synopsis also details the fourth issue - and fourth opponent - if you want to check it out.

https://www.greenlightbookstore.com/book/9781684059133

Pretty obvious choice given the 50th anniversary, but I'm always pleased when Gigan gets the spotlight. Certainly an intriguing premise, too. Hoping for a good 1-on-1 fight with Godzilla.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:23 am So, probably should've shared this last month, but Rivals #3 "Vs. King Ghidorah" was delayed. Was supposed to be released last month, now set for later this month. Really looking forward to this one, hope it doesn't get delayed again!

Anyways, the first TPB of the series was revealed a little while ago, too, collecting the first four issues. The synopsis also details the fourth issue - and fourth opponent - if you want to check it out.

https://www.greenlightbookstore.com/book/9781684059133

Pretty obvious choice given the 50th anniversary, but I'm always pleased when Gigan gets the spotlight. Certainly an intriguing premise, too. Hoping for a good 1-on-1 fight with Godzilla.
I wonder which version of Gigan it's going to be, Showa or Millennium?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wow the fourth issues premise is pretty whacky; I love it!

I’m a bit annoyed how slowly these are coming out, but whatever, issues 1-2 were great. Definitely going to get the TPB.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Images from the page of Adam Gorham.
Looks like we're actually going to have godzilla vs kamacuras, in a gladiator arena on mars, before the main event.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh wow, the Kamacuras look cool! Both them and Godzilla look super muscular! Should be fun!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Heh, these have been off my radar since IDW didn't wow me too much with their previous Godzilla work but the details about Rivals #3 & #4 are crazy ideas that I love to see. Might have to pick them up.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Is there a way to purchase Kingdom of Monsters as a set? Maybe in a single book?

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:03 am Is there a way to purchase Kingdom of Monsters as a set? Maybe in a single book?
I can't post links,but yeah, just look for the 2019 TPB and it's all collected in one volume.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Rivals: King Ghidorah delayed until February now.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KingCornetto wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 am
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:03 am Is there a way to purchase Kingdom of Monsters as a set? Maybe in a single book?
I can't post links,but yeah, just look for the 2019 TPB and it's all collected in one volume.
Awesome, thanks.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Rivals: King Ghidorah delayed until March. Probably the paper shortage.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingCornetto wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:56 am Rivals: King Ghidorah delayed until March. Probably the paper shortage.
Wow, this is like the third time they've been delayed. I hope everything winds up being alright. My anticipation for the series grows!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

GODZILLA RIVALS VS. GIGAN ONE SHOT
(W) Keith Davidsen (A) Yasmin Flores Montanez (CA) E. J. Su
The year is 2008. The setting is Seattle. Networked computers and video game consoles have connected millions across the globe in virtual combat... and an insidious intelligence has taken notice. The insectoid Nebulans, would-be conquerors of Earth, have hijacked the MMOs and uploaded the collective fighting techniques and strategy of gamers worldwide directly into the central processing unit of their cyborg champion. What chance does Godzilla have at victory when the vicious opponent Gigan has been augmented by the savagery of all humanity? Written by Keith Davidsen (Reanimator, Evil Ernie) and illustrated by Yasmin Flores Montanez (Goosebumps), the Cyber Age meets the Kaiju Age in this epic Emerald City showdown!
In Shops: May 25, 2022
SRP: $7.99
Not going to lie, I'm actually happy to see Millennium Gigan here, its been underutilized in the comics.

And I'm really digging that apparent redesign of the Nebulans, its long overdue. I'm happy that not only can IDW now use Toho aliens more frequently, but now they can even redesign them! Eager to see more!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I can’t believe gigan is fucking dead
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Has anyone else noticed that the TPB version (or at least the Complete edition) of Godzilla: ROE #14 has this line instead of the original "...beat Godzilla to death?"

I wonder if it was deemed too dark/inappropriate.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

kaijukurt wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:28 pm Image

Has anyone else noticed that the TPB version (or at least the Complete edition) of Godzilla: ROE #14 has this line instead of the original "...beat Godzilla to death?"

Or do you think it might be copyright reasons? Just wonderin'...

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:34 am
kaijukurt wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:28 pm Image

Or do you think it might be copyright reasons? Just wonderin'...
That's not how copyright works.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

GODZILLA RIVALS VS BATTRA ONESHOT
​(W) Rosie Knight (A/CA) Oliver Ono
In a quiet beachside town ravaged by constant sewage spillages and toxic waste dumps, something is stirring. Deep under the rolling hills that surround Hackney-on-Sea, Battra is awakening, driven by a single goal: to destroy mankind and save planet Earth. The only one who can stop him is Godzilla, but he hasn't been seen in decades and has never ventured to the cold shores of the English coast... until now. Robbie runs a small bookshop, but her real passion is monsters. She's spent years researching the myth of Godzilla and his fearsome foes, and now that hypothetical experience is about to become a life-saving tool. Can Robbie locate Godzilla? Will Godzilla alone be enough to defeat Battra? Is Battra really wrong? And will the goddess Mothra make an appearance?
In Shops: Jun 29, 2022
SRP: $7.99
Last edited by kaijukurt on Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla