The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
I used to have a cat named Callie. Her full name was Calypso, but we always called her Callie for short.

She was gray and white.

Just like the Callie in this match.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 am
Spoiler:
I used to have a cat named Callie. Her full name was Calypso, but we always called her Callie for short.

She was gray and white.

Just like the Callie in this match.
Odd coincidence..

I haven't finished reading this match yet, but i'm REALLY loving what there is so far!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan8889
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan8889 »

Oh man... this is the longest KWC so far, isn't it?
Spoiler:
This match was cool! While at first I didn't realize it was about Weathering With You (which I haven't watched), the connections between both that move and the Heisei Gamera lore were well-put together and didn't feel forced. Characterization for everyone was done well; Hedorah is a pretty scary villain in this one and Gamera's journey was so well-written. Even if a large part of it is dedicated to the plot of WWY, this match is able to tell its story well and the fighting was good. Awesome! :D

Not to mention, the banner is so cool-looking. If I'm not mistaken, the human characters from left to right on the banner are Hodaka, Hina, Mayumi and Asagi, right?
Guy who does stuff, also a KWC/KWCE writer! :D

I go by he/him

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I… did not like this match. Do not get me wrong, there are very good portions of it. But, there’s too many scenes that are just lifted wholesale from Weathering With You, with only minor variance of the Gamera characters added to some of them, and a lot of the scenes also just don’t have the same weight as they in the movie.
Spoiler:
The scene in the park is the biggest one. It is just a massive wall of dialogue that becomes mind-numbing to sit through.
This match just doesn’t work with what it’s trying to be. It’s not an issue of “too much talking”, it’s that it doesn’t distinguish itself enough from the source material while dragging on for so long. Again, there’s good stuff here, I liked everything that was fully original material (like everything with the monsters, everything with Asagi), but it all gets bogged down by everything else. The sheer number of typos doesn’t help.

Edit: The banner looks excellent, however.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Yeah, same here. Like what it's trying to do, especially with Gamera's arc, but too much verbatim moments (I had the feeling but you confirmed it for me) and too many typos and dialogue to work.

Trust me, I love a match which has more then monster fighting but here it just didn't work.

What worked worked REALLY well though and I'd love to see more characterization/matches like this

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I haven't seen Weathering With You (matter of fact, this is my first time ever hearing about it) but something tells me this match was a bit too close to it's source material and needed to stand out with it's own original stuff more. I actually got pretty invested in the characters for a while but it eventually just.. dragged. There's a ton of matches that rival this one in length but they didn't feel as dragged on as this one did, and most of the one's i'm thinking of did similar stuff.

Although i must say that banner is- *chef's kiss*

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I wondered if this match was connected with some Toho film that I merely didn’t know about, and apparently it is, so some aspects are a tad hard for me to follow.

Nonetheless, I personally think this match was fu****g brilliant. Even though I wish it had a lot more monster vs monster action than it did, the scenes and characterizations of both Kaiju and the arc Gamera—and subsequently, Asagi—went through were masterfully done in my humble opinion. And Hedorah… … …

Holy sweet f***, was the Smog Monster a menacing villain here.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

So, are more anime distributed by Toho fair game for matches to be used as settings now, or does each anime need to go through a vetting process of sorts? If so, what anime have been approved for settings and which ones have a no go sign strapped onto them (outside of Pokemon)?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

GodzillaFan8889
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan8889 »

Alright, my opinions on Match 341 have changed a bit...
Spoiler:
While I do definitely appreciate the effort put into it, from reading the Wikipedia plot and other stuff I can kinda tell a lot of this is a verbatim retelling of Weathering With You. Some of it is passable, like how you changed the start to have Hedorah attacking Hodaka, other times it was clearly just Weathering WIth You scenes but with the Gamera characters added in. My opinion on the lore combining and characterization is still the same; it's still well-done, however part of me wishes there was a bit more attention given to the main advertised fight with Hedorah and Gamera. I'm not some guy who only likes action scenes, but the scuffles between Gamera and Hedorah could have been expanded upon.

I kinda wish it could have been more changed and original; there's surely a way to change around the plot and make it its own new thing without having to sacrifice the characterization, lore combination and message. Hedorah could have had more impact on the WWY plot while still serving as Gamera's "obstacle". Maybe you could have Hedorah split into Land Forms and invade the city, only for Hina to freaking smite them with lightning bolts. Again however this was still a well-written match, and of course these are just my opinions and criticisms.
Last edited by GodzillaFan8889 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy who does stuff, also a KWC/KWCE writer! :D

I go by he/him

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

I liked this match, I haven't seen WWY, but I liked the characters in this match, Gamera and Asagi's arc is great and Hedorah being a very deadly threat was great too.

I took a few breaks while reading this match so none of the human plot dragged on for me personally, but there does seem to be a part missing where the main character apparently met Nagi on a bus?
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Moth wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:51 pm So, are more anime distributed by Toho fair game for matches to be used as settings now, or does each anime need to go through a vetting process of sorts? If so, what anime have been approved for settings and which ones have a no go sign strapped onto them (outside of Pokemon)?
2 things:

1) Think each one will be an independent thing, so you'll probably have to pitch the idea and see if it's fine.
2) Uh, avoid making it a direct adaptation. :lol: If it has super-heavy deviations that derail from the original story, that's fine.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:33 pm I've updated the roster again to remove Shin and include Ultima!... truth be told though, i wasn't really sure what Ultima was gonna be called considering all four of his forms are getting included, but i'm sticking with Ultima as his name for now.
Though this is taken from the Randomizer thread, since these guys have been made public, I figured I can probably share these details for easy access for you guys. ;) As a side note, though Eva-01 is lowkey confirmed, we're awaiting final details with the release of 3.0+1.0, so I won't be including her here.

King Cobra: Serpentine Competitor 巨大キング・コブラ
Length: 250 meters
Mass: 40,000 tons
Powers: Bio-Glue; constriction; burrowing ability

Mechagodzilla® (Legendary): The Apex Destroyer メカゴジラ
Height: 130 meters
Mass: 196,000 tons
Powers: Proton Scream; charged strike; missile launchers; drill tail; finger buzzsaws; grinder mouth; spine drones

King Ghidorah (Millennium): Holy Guardian Beast 魏怒羅
Height: 98 meters
Mass: 50,000 tons
Powers: Flight; Gravity Beams; Thunder Spark; energy shield; spirit can instill life energy or temporarily take possession after death

Jet Jaguar (Reiwa): Otaki Factory Mascot ジェットジャガー
Height: 50 meters - 100 meters
Mass: 20,000 tons - 30,000 tons
Powers: Size alteration; Anguirus Spear; Special Anti-Rodan Antennae; harpoon cannon; extraordinary jumper; battery pack; lower torso can be retrofitted as Prototype, Anti-Anguirus Specifications, or Beta-type; twin propeller blades for flight; Orthogonal Diagonalizer; jettison unnecessary parts
Weaknesses: Limited power supply, unless recharged

Salunga: Bow of Vishnu サルンガ
Height: 84 meters
Powers: Explosive Red Dust; electric current; thick armor; extraordinary jumper; can completely vanish with Red Dust; produces Red Dust

Godzilla® Ultima: A Hopeless Future ゴジラウルティマ
Height: 35 meters (Aq) | 45 meters (Am) | 75 meters (T) | 90 meters+ (U)
Mass: 30,000 tons | 35,000 tons | 46,000 tons | 61,000 tons+
Powers: Adept swimmer; can produce Red Dust | Freezing incendiary breath; explosive Red Dust; thermal explosion that induces pupation; can produce Red Dust | Atomic Ring; super regeneration; blood tentacles; Red Dust plume; can produce Red Dust | Atomic Ray; super regeneration; rapid growth in Red Dust; can produce Red Dust; Red Dust terraformation

While these are more than likely going to be the final versions, I am open to any changes or suggestions you guys might have in mind. Things like icons are obviously still in development, but the least I can do is this.

Side note: Terrestris' 75 meters is when he's standing upright, not leaned horizontally like how he's mostly seen. Whereas Aquatilis and Amphibia are far more "from the ground to their backs on all-fours".
Last edited by KaijuX on Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH it all sounds good to me!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KaijuX wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:33 pm I've updated the roster again to remove Shin and include Ultima!... truth be told though, i wasn't really sure what Ultima was gonna be called considering all four of his forms are getting included, but i'm sticking with Ultima as his name for now.
Though this is taken from the Randomizer thread, since these guys have been made public, I figured I can probably share these details for easy access for you guys. ;) As a side note, though Eva-01 is lowkey confirmed, we're awaiting final details with the release of 3.0+1.0, so I won't be including her here.

King Cobra: Serpentine Competitor 巨大キング・コブラ
Length: 250 meters
Powers: Bio-Glue; constriction; burrowing ability

Mechagodzilla® (Legendary): The Apex Destroyer メカゴジラ
Height: 130 meters
Mass: 196,000 tons
Powers: Proton Scream; charged strike; missile launchers; drill tail; finger buzzsaws; grinder mouth; spine drones

King Ghidorah (Millennium): Holy Guardian Beast 魏怒羅
Height: 98 meters
Powers: Flight; Gravity Beams; Thunder Spark; energy shield; spirit can instill life energy or temporarily take possession after death

Mass: 20,000 tons - 30,000 tons
Powers: Size alteration; Anguirus Spear; Special Anti-Rodan Antennae; harpoon cannon; extraordinary jumper; battery pack; lower torso can be retrofitted as Prototype, Anti-Anguirus Specifications, or Beta-type; twin propeller blades for flight; Orthogonal Diagonalizer; jettison unnecessary parts
Weaknesses: Limited power supply, unless recharged

Powers: Explosive Red Dust; electric current; thick armor; extraordinary jumper; can completely vanish with Red Dust; produces Red Dust

Mass: 30,000 tons | 35,000 tons | 46,000 tons | 61,000 tons+
Powers: Adept swimmer; can produce Red Dust | Freezing incendiary breath; explosive Red Dust; thermal explosion that induces pupation; can produce Red Dust | Atomic Ring; super regeneration; blood tentacles; Red Dust plume; can produce Red Dust | Atomic Ray; super regeneration; rapid growth in Red Dust; can produce Red Dust; Red Dust terraformation

While these are more than likely going to be the final versions, I am open to any changes or suggestions you guys might have in mind. Things like icons are obviously still in development, but the least I can do is this.
I personally think that Amphibia should at the very least be made heavier than Varan, due to his bodily girth. He is one heavy-looking motherskreeonker, with body proportions reminiscent of elephant seals and walruses.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

KaijuX wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pmSalunga: Bow of Vishnu サルンガ
I feel like he needs some sort of "literally cannot die no matter how times you stab him" ability. :P
KaijuX wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pmGodzilla® Ultima: A Hopeless Future ゴジラウルティマ
What about "Godzilla® Ultima: The Catastrophe"?
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm I personally think that Amphibia should at the very least be made heavier than Varan, due to his bodily girth. He is one heavy-looking motherskreeonker, with body proportions reminiscent of elephant seals and walruses.

[]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... 7b58a0.png[/]
Actually, I dig that idea. He's lightest in his 0th form, gains a ton of weight in his 1st form, is actually slightly lighter when going bipedal for 2nd form, then gains it back due to the heavy armor of the 3rd form. The SP Guidebook constantly made reference to how the 1st form was able to produce red dust that "exceeded" its body weight... even though it never mentioned exactly how heavy it was... but I can only assume quite a lot if it's a noteworthy feat.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Wanted to give my thoughts on 341 now that people have had time to discuss it:

You can tell Alex had immense passion writing this match. Every character is given their time, arcs are fully seen through and for what action there is in this match, it is quite good. Of the 151 pages this comprised, the first five with Gamera were stellar. Great characterization for Gamera and Hedorah in this; however, you can definitely feel this isn't Gamera vs. Hedorah: Round 2, but Weather With You X Gamera X Hedorah and that I think is this matches most crippling weakness as the film easily engulfs the other two.

Now I've never seen the film and around the half way mark, I had a feeling something wasn't quite right with the story. It really focuses on the human characters, far more then I think it should, but upon looking at the Wikipedia page of the film, I realized immediately why. It follows every step the film makes without ever deviating. While the inclusion of Gamera characters was neat, they're just replacing characters already in the film. Not to say there aren't original moments in this, there for sure are, but those moments are overshadowed by the passion to recreate the film and a refusal to chart a new course for these characters. Gamera and Hedorah really don't affect the story so much as the monsters bend to Weathering With You, causing it to lose any sense of originality in the mixture. I think the most evident part of this is the climax not being Hedorah's defeat but Hina's storyline re-enacting what occurred in the film just with Gamera beside her. Its strange to say, but because of this choice, 341 really is the least K.W.C. thing in the K.W.C.

Now I can hear people asking, "Well then why post it?"

To that question I say, "Well, like someone getting away with a crime never on the books, we never had a precedent. Now we do."

Going forward, I'll be updating the rules to not include this type of format or at least place some heavy restrictions on this type of story. References to other Toho Media is perfectly acceptable, but if it ends up costing the relevance of the monsters and by in large, giving us a story already made, then I don't think the K.W.C. is the best fit for it.

So please, choose your monsters, write with your passion, and make your own story.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

WAIT EVA-01 IS (almost) FINALIZED?!

MY WORK IS DONE! YEAAAAHHHHH!!!!

GET READY BOYS, MOTH IS GOING TO BE HITTING THE GROUND SOON!

Anyway, thoughts on new match now that it's sunken in
Spoiler:
I agree that, this was a match with a lot of passion, but I feel like if non Kaiju worlds (ex: Akira, which has been used before I think, and other Toho distributed anime that isn't Pokemon) are being used, they shouldn't be used for outright retellings and more, using the world as a setting. Like example, using the world of Promare to enhance Rodan (Legendary)'s presence of sorts, using the world and characters of FLCL to like, have Haruko plan a counterattack against Gigan. That stuff.
Last edited by Moth on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm I personally think that Amphibia should at the very least be made heavier than Varan, due to his bodily girth. He is one heavy-looking motherskreeonker, with body proportions reminiscent of elephant seals and walruses.
GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:21 pm Actually, I dig that idea. He's lightest in his 0th form, gains a ton of weight in his 1st form, is actually slightly lighter when going bipedal for 2nd form, then gains it back due to the heavy armor of the 3rd form. The SP Guidebook constantly made reference to how the 1st form was able to produce red dust that "exceeded" its body weight... even though it never mentioned exactly how heavy it was... but I can only assume quite a lot if it's a noteworthy feat.
All right, will keep that in mind... So here's what I adjusted for Ultima, Salunga, and JJ PP.

Mass: 30,000 tons | 55,000 tons | 65,000 tons | 92,000 tons+

Mass: 35,000 tons - 40,000 tons

Hopefully these'll be acceptable. :)
TitanoGoji16 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:29 pm I feel like he needs some sort of "literally cannot die no matter how times you stab him" ability. :P
Tempted to add super regeneration... You don't see the wounds after the crystals dematerialize.
What about "Godzilla® Ultima: The Catastrophe"?
Thoooooooooooought about that, but the boys back home (and on here, from how it seems) are bigger fans of A Hopeless Future, so I'm going to stick to that. ;)

Pair of kings.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KaijuX wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:35 pm Godzilla® Ultima: A Hopeless Future ゴジラウルティマ
Mass: 30,000 tons | 55,000 tons | 65,000 tons | 92,000 tons+
Would Terrestris be heavier than Amphibia? It seems like he has a more lithe, agile build by comparison.

Or is there a book that I’m currently unaware of that confirms he’s heavier?