What's going to happen to TK toon after 2020?

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

What's going to happen to TK toon after 2020?

Post by Ultimategodzilla2054 »

Okay, so, as I'm sure most of you are aware, adobe flash will be completely unusable after 2020. My question is: what's going to happen to the TK Toons on the main website? Is any effort being made to preserve these flash animations?
(Not entirely sure where this should go, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.)
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

UltramanGoji

Re: What's going to happen to TK toon after 2020?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Hopefully not, there's not much worth saving.

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

UltramanGoji wrote:Hopefully not, there's not much worth saving.
I dunno, I still get a chuckle out of them when I watch them every now and then. Like I actually grew up watching those, so I think it would be a huge loss if they were lost forever. An effort should at least be made to archive them.
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Yeah,TK Toon has become some actual trash. Think there the least important thing on the site as of now.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

tyrantgoji wrote:Yeah,TK Toon has become some actual trash. Think there the least important thing on the site as of now.
Regardless of quality, they're still a huge part of the site's history, and that should not be ignored. Imo, it went a long way in defining the site's identity.
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah...no.

Were the toons memorable? To some people, yeah. But defining the site's identity? Absolutely not.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

They were fun, at the time, but they're not really worth preserving or saving. I'm sure Miles has them backed up, hopefully, and he's probably free to post them to Youtube.

To be honest, I don't think it's what many users here want the site to be remembered for.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:They were fun, at the time, but they're not really worth preserving or saving. I'm sure Miles has them backed up, hopefully, and he's probably free to post them to Youtube.

To be honest, I don't think it's what many users here want the site to be remembered for.
You know, I think that you'd better make d*** sure that Miles has them backed up before you delete them and then find out that he didn't!

How does that old saying go? "It's easier to ask for permission than to ask for forgiveness."

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

mikelcho wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:They were fun, at the time, but they're not really worth preserving or saving. I'm sure Miles has them backed up, hopefully, and he's probably free to post them to Youtube.

You know, I think that you'd better make d*** sure that Miles has them backed up before you delete them and then find out that he didn't!

How does that old saying go? "It's easier to ask for permission than to ask for forgiveness."
^this
think of it this way. it's a lot like film preservation: just because you may not like or think something doesn't deserve to be archived and put somewhere safe, it doesn't mean that it isn't still important to do so. at the very least, someone should at least attempt to convert them to Html5 or ask if Miles will upload them to youtube before hand.
Last edited by Ultimategodzilla2054 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote:

Dude it's been years and years, and while I don't know the exact details, there were certainly some drama regarding his exit. It's unreasonable to assume that TK is obligated to save backups of something like that.

Also what's with the 2020 date?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:

Dude it's been years and years, and while I don't know the exact details, there were certainly some drama regarding his exit. It's unreasonable to assume that TK is obligated to save backups of something like that.

Also what's with the 2020 date?
After 2020, Flash will no longer be unusable, period. that means that browsers will completely remove it entirely, and basically all flash content will die.
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I mean, isn't there a way to just save flash files directly if you have the right software? Why not do it yourself?

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I mean, isn't there a way to just save flash files directly if you have the right software? Why not do it yourself?
I'd gladly do that if someone could point me in the right direction for said software, provided it doesn't involve any programming (I suck at that). I also want to mention that there's currently a flash emulator being worked on
https://ruffle.rs/
However, it isn't far enough along to confidently say that they will finish it before the cut off date, so it always helps to plan ahead for that sort of thing.
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Ultimategodzilla2054 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:

^this
think of it this way. it's a lot like film preservation: just because you may not like or think something doesn't deserve to be archived and put somewhere safe, it doesn't mean that it isn't still important to do so. at the very least, someone should at least attempt to convert them to Html5 or ask if Miles will upload them to youtube before hand.
You got it! I was hoping that you'd get it. I was hoping that someone here would get it, but I had no idea that it'd be done this quickly.

Actually, I watched some of those cartoons a while back and I thought that they were kind of cute.

Anyway, please, whoever's in charge here, not only does this need to be done, it needs to be done yesterday, not next Easter!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Why can't someone who actually cares about these things screen-record them and share them on YouTube (perhaps with Miles' permission)?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

mikelcho wrote:You got it! I was hoping that you'd get it. I was hoping that someone here would get it, but I had no idea that it'd be done this quickly.

Actually, I watched some of those cartoons a while back and I thought that they were kind of cute.

Anyway, please, whoever's in charge here, not only does this need to be done, it needs to be done yesterday, not next Easter!
Well, The whole reason I made this thread is because of the push I've been seeing across the entire internet on sites like newgrounds to save and preserve flash content, so I felt inspired to get the ball rolling around here.
also, just to be clear, my aim with this thread is not to force or demand the TK staff to do anything, but rather just suggest it as something they should be seriously considering.
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

mikelcho wrote:You got it! I was hoping that you'd get it. I was hoping that someone here would get it, but I had no idea that it'd be done this quickly.

Well, The whole reason I made this thread is because of the push I've been seeing across the entire internet on sites like newgrounds to save and preserve flash content, so I felt inspired to get the ball rolling around here.
also, just to be clear, my aim with this thread is not to force or demand the TK staff to do anything, but rather just suggest it as something they should be seriously considering.
Miles backed them up here on his YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XkZzV3CMJx

As far as Arbok's plan for the site and preserving them, no idea.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Ultimategodzilla2054
Yojimbo

Chris55 wrote:

Ah sweet, thanks for the info.
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

What happens when Youtube goes down? :dizzy:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Chris55 wrote:

Thanks, I'm so glad that happened!

And I assure you, I was not even trying to force anyone to do anything; I was merely trying to emphasize the seriousness of the situation here. However, if I sounded like I was coming on too strong, I'm sorry.