The Commonly Asked Questions Thread

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: The Commonly Asked Questions Thread

Post by Legion1979 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:17 pm That's silly to keep it locked permanently when the one user causing all the shit-fests there was finally banned shortly after, but whatever.
Seconded.

The user causing all the problems (repeatedly) is gone, so what reason is there to keep it closed?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And thirded. That thread's been perfectly functional for years, it usually only becomes a problem when an election is coming up or when goji89 was around. The first problem is going to happen across other threads anyway, and the second is solved. Even if we don't need to get our news here, it's still nice to have the option to post and discuss the news when we feel like it. As a bonus for you mods, that thread being a catch-all for news probably reduces the number of new threads that get created.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gojizillakong
Samurai

Post by gojizillakong »

Why is the profile picture functionality locked?

EDIT: Am I on probation or something like that by any chance?
Last edited by gojizillakong on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

gojizillakong wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:03 am Why is the profile picture functionality locked?

EDIT: Am I on probation or something like that by any chance?
https://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30839
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

gojizillakong
Samurai

Post by gojizillakong »

I see, thanks

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

At the risk of this being taken badly, why do we have far more admins than mods?
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

What's with the bot?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:42 pm What's with the bot?
Report it and we'll get rid of it. We don't scan every single post that's made here.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:54 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:42 pm What's with the bot?
Report it and we'll get rid of it. We don't scan every single post that's made here.
Shoulda clarified. There's something called DuckDuckGo (Bot) in the online users schematic at the bottom of the main forum page. Is it an official Toho Kingdom thing or

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pretty sure those are something to do with search analytics or something. We had one for Google a bit ago.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Voyager wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:50 pm At the risk of this being taken badly, why do we have far more admins than mods?
I'm surprised people still question anything going on, when the dupe/gore situation has been a problem for over a year and public knowledge.

Let's go over this again, one last time...

A user was banned many moons ago. His response was to make dupe accounts and spam violent gore images and other spam messages. I studied funeral directing, I helped at a real autopsy, I have seen multiple bodies in various stages of decay (such as suicide victims). These images that are being posted? They're repulsive. They gross me out. And I do not get grossed out.

Any way, this user made multiple dupes over several months. No pattern in names, not sharing the same IP address (we ban IPs when we ban users), no similar themes in e-mail addresses. Basically absolutely no way to stop it. This happened multiple, multiple times. Usually early in the morning, which was one of the reasons we considered LSD as a moderator because he's always on in the early mornings. It's much easier to catch it as it happens, shut it down, and ban the dupe so users don't have to be exposed to the images that we have to every single time we have to clean up this mess.

We thought with the new user protocols and added staff, this was contained. It was not. It happened again. So I sort of put us into overdrive until we have an ironclad solution for stopping it. This meant that any moderator that wanted it could be come admins. That way they had less restrictions in handling the dupes and finding a solution internally to stop it. If you or anyone has suggestions for moderator staff, I will hear them. The more eyes we have on the situation, the better.

No one likes this. No one likes all the restrictions we've had to put on the forums. However, I promise you, you'd like the violent images much less.

As always, if anyone has questions or concerns, they can message me. I'm trying to be as open and clear as I can about this situation, and any situation on the forum.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Maritonic wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:18 am
Voyager wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:50 pm At the risk of this being taken badly, why do we have far more admins than mods?
I'm surprised people still question anything going on, when the dupe/gore situation has been a problem for over a year and public knowledge.

A user was banned many moons ago. His response was to make dupe accounts and spam violent gore images and other spam messages. I studied funeral directing, I helped at a real autopsy, I have seen multiple bodies in various stages of decay (such as suicide victims). These images that are being posted? They're repulsive. They gross me out. And I do not get grossed out.

Any way, this user made multiple dupes over several months. No pattern in names, not sharing the same IP address (we ban IPs when we ban users), no similar themes in e-mail addresses. Basically absolutely no way to stop it. This happened multiple, multiple times. Usually early in the morning, which was one of the reasons we considered LSD as a moderator because he's always on in the early mornings. It's much easier to catch it as it happens, shut it down, and ban the dupe so users don't have to be exposed to the images that we have to every single time we have to clean up this mess.

We thought with the new user protocols and added staff, this was contained. It was not. It happened again. So I sort of put us into overdrive until we have an ironclad solution for stopping it. This meant that any moderator that wanted it could be come admins. That way they had less restrictions in handling the dupes and finding a solution internally to stop it. If you or anyone has suggestions for moderator staff, I will hear them. The more eyes we have on the situation, the better.

No one likes this. No one likes all the restrictions we've had to put on the forums. However, I promise you, you'd like the violent images much less.

As always, if anyone has questions or concerns, they can message me. I'm trying to be as open and clear as I can about this situation, and any situation on the forum.
Yeah, thanks for this. I knew about the whole gorey images and I knew that certain user. I just didn’t know the reasoning behind the disproportionate amount of admins.
For Emperor and Empire!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Voyager wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:57 am
Maritonic wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:18 am

Yeah, thanks for this. I knew about the whole gorey images and I knew that certain user. I just didn’t know the reasoning behind the disproportionate amount of admins.
Yeah, unfortunately the more openly vocal I am about this, the more this individual knows. So I've tried to keep things in private messages. But it just is what it is at this point. The staff and I are always in discussion about this.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Where's a good place for me to store images so that the URLs don't change and the links become broken (Facebook, I'm looking in your direction)? I have several threads where my images are now broken links. I'd like to fix that.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

H-Man wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:26 am Where's a good place for me to store images so that the URLs don't change and the links become broken (Facebook, I'm looking in your direction)? I have several threads where my images are now broken links. I'd like to fix that.
Imgur

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

This might be a dumb question, but if the News Thread is indeed going to be locked permanently from now on… why is it still stickied?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:02 pm This might be a dumb question, but if the News Thread is indeed going to be locked permanently from now on… why is it still stickied?
Corrected.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:02 pm This might be a dumb question, but if the News Thread is indeed going to be locked permanently from now on… why is it still stickied?
There's a lot of stickied junk - the forums could really be cleaned up and streamlined for new visitors.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 pm
There's a lot of stickied junk - the forums could really be cleaned up and streamlined for new visitors.
I just went through every subforum and only destickied maybe...two things? Not sure what else needs to be cleaned up.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 pm
Former Red Name here.

Could you post a few examples of stickied threads or "Forum Rules" header posts that should be removed. A link to the thread and a suggestion as to why it should be unstickied can help the staff beeline to what should be pruned.