Any advice on writing on godzilla fan film script

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Any advice on writing on godzilla fan film script

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

I been playing around with the ideal of making a godzilla fan film called kingdom of the monsters that have godzilla, mothra, rodan, mechagodzilla, and ghidorah. However I am not good of writing a good script. The plot of the movie starts with 1954 a monster called Godzilla attack Japan since then the government of japan is keeping the events a secret by destroying records from 1954- 1961 , since then Godzilla is seen as an urban legend however in 2025 godzilla returns and attack Japan but the government made mechagodzilla in secret to deffened Japan. Meanwhile a cult have found ghidorah and free him to destroyed the earth. its up to godzilla, mothra, and rodan to save the earth just like in ancient times and what the prophecy of 3 kings vs the destroyer

T_Wylie2014
Samurai

Re: Any advice on writing on godzilla fan film script

Post by T_Wylie2014 »

I know this is an older post. But I felt it warranted a response. So, this is just one man's opinion. And please keep in mind this is not an "educated" opinion. Lol.

However, when it comes to film scripts you need to think of things visually rather than from a strict "storytelling" standpoint.

Let me try to explain what I mean.

Because film is a visual medium, you have to think in visual terms.

"Godzilla attacks Japan and the government keeps it a secret by destroying records," for example, is a good start for a synopsis. But how will you visualize it? Do you plan on making it part of an opening credit sequence like 2014 did? If so, how did Japan's government hide this reality from the world? How did Godzilla never appear anywhere else for the world to see between 1954-2025? Where was he? What was he doing, or not doing?

These are the kinds of questions that your visuals need to answer for the audience to set the tone, expectations, and to give them the information they need to actually believe that Japan doesn't know Godzilla exists until it's too late. Otherwise your audience/viewership will be asking "Wait, why didn't anyone figure this out? Where was the big lizard the whole time? Did he die? Was he sleeping? What the heck?!" And you don't want that. You want the audience on your side as the story teller from the get-go. And do get them on your side you have to give them something to believe in and understanding right off the bat.

So, to accomplish this goal of getting them on your side you'll have to find a way to show all of the information they need to know going in. It would be wise to think of this as a sequence of visual flashes lasting maybe 1-2 seconds each. First, we see 1-2 second snippets of Godzilla surfacing from the ocean. Then we see Godzilla stomping ashore and breaking through a defense line. Then we see him blasting a building or two with his atomic breath. Then we see him disappear into the ocean.

Things like that.

When it comes to scripts, you'd likely end up writing this in small narrative chunks that are concise and make the visual easy for the VFX team to understand (if you're working with a team, that is, otherwise it just needs to be clear enough for YOU to understand).

Something like this would work:

--------------------------------------------------------

[OPENING CREDITS]

Godzilla rises from the sea, breaks through defenses, blasts a building, and disappears.

Japanese newspapers question his existence. Overlay shows "Government Coverup." People live normally. Time passes. Japan evolves.

Mechagodzilla parts being worked on in secret.

--------------------------------------------------------

That would be a decently succinct and cohesive way of writing the script in a fashion that shows the intention of the opening credits. We visualize the sequences with Godzilla, the news, the cover up, people living as if nothing ever happened and not knowing any better, and show the passage of time as Japan evolves into the modern day none the wiser as to Godzilla's existence. Meanwhile, in secret, Mechagodzilla is nearing completion, or is complete by the end of the opening credits.

From there, you're into your first actual scene of the film.
Last edited by T_Wylie2014 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.