Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

Post by Zarm »

Can't wait!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Projects like this really make me wish I had a blu-ray burner.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:Projects like this really make me wish I had a blu-ray burner.
You and me both.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Awesome! Really excited to check this out at last! :D

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Hey hey hey everyone.......Godzilla: Resurrection is live!!!

Check out my Tumblr blog (below in my signature) to find it!
"Oh no, there goes Tokyo..."
https://damoviemaestro.tumblr.com/

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Hooray!!!

Maranatha!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've downloaded it and checked the file to confirm it works! Gonna watch this tonight! ^_^

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

I watched this fan-edit and I really enjoyed it! The Steve Martin scenes were implemented flawlessly. I agree that those scenes are great and combining them with the Japanese version makes for the most perfect version of the film a fan could make.

However, I have a couple small criticisms, and it's about your intro. I love the ideas here. But the footage used from other movies is clearly different because of the different aspect ratio, which is really jarring when the next scene is in the correct HD aspect ratio that takes up the whole screen. And it being pitch black for literally like three minutes long is a bit much, I honestly think it would've been better with flashes of clips from the original film. Also that cut from the pollution to the sunset is really jarring. What is with the pollution, anyway? Not sure what it has to do with this movie.

Other then that, very well done.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

So, think I might be doing something wrong. I see the file for the subtitles, but I don't have subtitles in the video.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:So, think I might be doing something wrong. I see the file for the subtitles, but I don't have subtitles in the video.
You have to view the file in a program like VLC that can load subtitles.

Or if you’re viewing on the Internet Archive link, the closed captioning button in the player works.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:So, think I might be doing something wrong. I see the file for the subtitles, but I don't have subtitles in the video.

Or if you’re viewing on the Internet Archive link, the closed captioning button in the player works.
Yeah, I tried the CC button a few times to no avail. I'll keep messing with it.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

G&G-Fan wrote:I watched this fan-edit and I really enjoyed it! The Steve Martin scenes were implemented flawlessly. I agree that those scenes are great and combining them with the Japanese version makes for the most perfect version of the film a fan could make.

However, I have a couple small criticisms, and it's about your intro. I love the ideas here. But the footage used from other movies is clearly different because of the different aspect ratio, which is really jarring when the next scene is in the correct HD aspect ratio that takes up the whole screen. And it being pitch black for literally like three minutes long is a bit much, I honestly think it would've been better with flashes of clips from the original film. Also that cut from the pollution to the sunset is really jarring. What is with the pollution, anyway? Not sure what it has to do with this movie.

Other then that, very well done.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I would be remiss if I didnt at least explain my reasoning behind the artistic choices of the prologue. Hopefully I'm able to clear the air around it.

The aspect ratio was in the classic Academy format for the prologue for purely artistic reasons. Several films in the past, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior comes immediately to mind, took advantage of the Academy ratio for their opening prologues before returning to a scope presentation for the main feature. Many times, it's a call-back to roadshow engagements and can also delineate "past" footage from present. I understand some viewers dont like shifting aspects, but I took a chance here.

The black over audio from Gojira was another stylistic choice, this one lifted from Zero Dark Thirty, which effectively used black over real life audio of 9/11 to open the film. I considered using video as well, but I'm just too enamored with what ZDT accomplished.

The pollution I elaborated on in my audio commentary, but I'll go ahead and put it in writing here also. Years ago, I found a fan made Godzilla timeline online, in which the author posited that the original Godzilla wasn't completely disintegrated by the Oxygen Destroyer. Particles of the beast remained, and over time reconstituted as a radioactive sludge pile that drifted around the Pacific, gathering sediment, pollution, and nuclear waste material for three decades, growing and reforming until it became the Godzilla of TROG. I always loved this theory, and remembering the opening credits of Godzilla vs Hedorah, thought I could repurpose that footage to depict this theory on screen.

I hope that clears up some of your concerns. I understand if it's still not your cup of tea, I figured not everyone would dig the prologue.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

Yeah, I tried the CC button a few times to no avail. I'll keep messing with it.
I'll check the Internet Archive file when I get home, I did load the subtitles there though. For the best presentation, however, I do recommend downloading the Google Drive mkv file and playing it with VLC.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Btw everyone, the mkv file already has the subtitles, I included the separate files in the drive folder just in case.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I watched some of it on the Internet Archive and the CC worked fine. Might just be a browser glitch or you were at a part of the movie that didn't have subs?

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

anzilla wrote:Btw everyone, the mkv file already has the subtitles, I included the separate files in the drive folder just in case.
What font did you use for the "GODZILLA: RESURRECTION" title?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:What font did you use for the "GODZILLA: RESURRECTION" title?
I actually didnt use a font. I was trying to find the Godzilla 1985 title font and didnt have any luck, so I cut out every single letter from the existing G85 credits and arranged them in Photoshop, then composites them in with After Effects.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh, cool. BTW Awesome edit! Any plans for a version with the English Export dub?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

anzilla wrote:The aspect ratio was in the classic Academy format for the prologue for purely artistic reasons. Several films in the past, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior comes immediately to mind, took advantage of the Academy ratio for their opening prologues before returning to a scope presentation for the main feature. Many times, it's a call-back to roadshow engagements and can also delineate "past" footage from present. I understand some viewers dont like shifting aspects, but I took a chance here.

The black over audio from Gojira was another stylistic choice, this one lifted from Zero Dark Thirty, which effectively used black over real life audio of 9/11 to open the film. I considered using video as well, but I'm just too enamored with what ZDT accomplished.

The pollution I elaborated on in my audio commentary, but I'll go ahead and put it in writing here also. Years ago, I found a fan made Godzilla timeline online, in which the author posited that the original Godzilla wasn't completely disintegrated by the Oxygen Destroyer. Particles of the beast remained, and over time reconstituted as a radioactive sludge pile that drifted around the Pacific, gathering sediment, pollution, and nuclear waste material for three decades, growing and reforming until it became the Godzilla of TROG. I always loved this theory, and remembering the opening credits of Godzilla vs Hedorah, thought I could repurpose that footage to depict this theory on screen.
Alright, I can see why you made those choices now. At first I thought the aspect ratio thing was actually a mistake, and I thought the pollution was meant to show that people dumping radioactive waste into the ocean was what brought Godzilla back but that didn't make sense to me because, you know, Godzilla was disintegrated. And I did like the black over audio from Gojira, I just would've liked it better if it was just a little shorter or included short flashes of footage. But hey, it's your fan-edit, not mine.

Btw, have you ever thought of doing what you did here with Gojira and "Godzilla, King of the Monsters!" Adding the Steve Martin scenes to the original Japanese film? Because, like this one, I feel like Raymond Burr actually did a pretty good performance and KOTM has lots of nostalgia factor for me, as even though I wasn't anywhere near alive when it came out in 1956, I would always watch the dubs as a kid and I watched KOTM a lot because it's always been one of my favorites. Of course I prefer the original Gojira, and KOTM removed a lot of really good stuff, but I can't bring myself to even have a fraction of hate for KOTM. And plus it would make for a nice prequel for this fan-edit. Not saying you're obligated to do it or anything, it's just a thought/suggestion.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Oh, cool. BTW Awesome edit! Any plans for a version with the English Export dub?
Not sure what you mean by that, I did use elements of Servanov's EOST reconstruction in this edit.