Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:That's fantastic, and I know houw you feel. For me, college life is really Really REALLY busy and hard.

Added in 7 hours 2 minutes 25 seconds:
I made a custom-made DVD cover for GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER. And this time, I put MORE work in it than I did for GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. When do you want me to put it up for you to see? :)
Probably after I'm done. You're welcome to PM me for a sneak peek though ;)
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

No problem. Take your time. Let me know when's a good time to show you. :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

So I must apologize for the relative silence these past few weeks. Like I said earlier, I've been busy and having difficulty finding time to work on this. BUT, in the limited time I've had, I've been slowly but surely going through each title card in the credits and keying them out so they're as "clean" as possible before adding back in the AIP credits. It's not perfect because I've had to use all 3 video sources for this process and they all have widely different colors, so the results may not be completely seamless. But it's the best I can do and hopefully you guys will appreciate it.

For the final credit scene, this is what I started with:

And after much toiling, this is the close to final result:

Once this is done I'll be going through and masking all the letters so they're cleaner.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

You're doing great!!! Keep it up and take your time!!! :huge
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

Looks really good! I can't wait to see the final version.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's pretty good! A little color tweaking ought to do it. (I especially recommend checking that kind of work on as many different displays as you can; for instance by hooking your computer up to an HDTV or something.) What editing software are you using again?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

That looks really good! The only thing I would recommend is blurring the text by just a little bit, to avoid aliasing on the edges of letters. Other than that, it looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final product.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: What editing software are you using again?
After Effects.
Servanov wrote:That looks really good! The only thing I would recommend is blurring the text by just a little bit, to avoid aliasing on the edges of letters. Other than that, it looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final product.
I'm planning on masking out the letters so they show up much clearer. At the moment I just did a dirty mask around the existing footage and applied a luma key as a temp placeholder.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Oh, ok, cool to know. Again, can't wait to see the final product!

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Post by Gorka the Vampire »

Hi Goji,

I was just curious to see how the HD restoration process was coming along for Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster. I showed a friend of mine your Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster reconstruction and his eyes were popping out of their sockets. I think you and Red Menace are his new heroes! :D

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Gorka the Vampire wrote:Hi Goji,

I was just curious to see how the HD restoration process was coming along for Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster. I showed a friend of mine your Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster reconstruction and his eyes were popping out of their sockets. I think you and Red Menace are his new heroes! :D

Thanks for the kind words and your inquiry, Gorka - and the same goes to several others who have PM'd me in the recent weeks. Unfortunately due to some personal matters I've had to put this project on the shelf for the time being. I am very sorry to keep all of you holding your breath, but I do want this to be worth your time so it has to be done right.

The last thing I was working on before I had to stop was modifying an existing font set to match the credits as closely as possible, as I learned that masking each individual letter was going to take way too long. After countless hours exhaustively searching the interwebs, I was able to find a close approximation of the font - OPTIJaffaGothicBold - and using a program called FontForge I've been slowly re-calibrating certain glyphs to better match their onscreen counterparts. This is unfortunately a taxing process, as I am not an expert in font creation, but I've been pleased with the results (and it's so much easier to type things out!!).

Again, apologies for the wait. When I have something to show for my efforts, I will post it!

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

Take your time, do what you need to do. Patience is the name of this game and fans of these awesome works have plenty ....

:)

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Post by Gorka the Vampire »

I totally agree with you. Take your time on this HD reconstruction so it can look as magnificent as your Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster reconstruction.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Take all the time you need, man!
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

How it's going?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:How it's going?
I wish I had something significant to report regarding this, but there's really nothing much. My wife and I are expecting our first baby soon and we're focusing on getting our home and lives in order. On top of that, I just completed shooting a short film (yes...it's kaiju related!) and that will be taking up a significant amount of time that's not baby-related.

One thing that may be helpful to me in the long run towards finishing this project is a 1:1 rip of the Japanese Bluray...I cannot afford to spend money on the import and have yet to find one via "other channels". Looking back on what I did so far, the 720p HDTV rip just doesn't cut it compared to the Kraken bluray. If anyone has the means to send a copy or can point me in the right direction as to where to find it, I would be most thankful and may just be spurred to carry on the project.

I do have a different HD reconstruction that I did and have been sitting on...all that needs to be finished are the end credits, which I couldn't find a decent font for. Maaaaaybe I'll put it out there anyway, as it's not necessarily something that needs to be restored and the credits are just there at the end. It's...an oddity...for sure....

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

goji1986 wrote:One thing that may be helpful to me in the long run towards finishing this project is a 1:1 rip of the Japanese Bluray...I cannot afford to spend money on the import and have yet to find one via "other channels". Looking back on what I did so far, the 720p HDTV rip just doesn't cut it compared to the Kraken bluray. If anyone has the means to send a copy or can point me in the right direction as to where to find it, I would be most thankful and may just be spurred to carry on the project.

I do have a different HD reconstruction that I did and have been sitting on...all that needs to be finished are the end credits, which I couldn't find a decent font for. Maaaaaybe I'll put it out there anyway, as it's not necessarily something that needs to be restored and the credits are just there at the end. It's...an oddity...for sure....
If you don't mind my asking, what do you need the Japanese Blu-ray for? The Kraken Blu-ray uses a much better transfer, but I'm guessing this has something to do with the numerous visual differences between various versions of the film.

Also, I'm curious about this other reconstruction, but if you'd rather not go into detail then I won't press the issue.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

How is the project going?

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
goji1986 wrote:One thing that may be helpful to me in the long run towards finishing this project is a 1:1 rip of the Japanese Bluray...I cannot afford to spend money on the import and have yet to find one via "other channels". Looking back on what I did so far, the 720p HDTV rip just doesn't cut it compared to the Kraken bluray. If anyone has the means to send a copy or can point me in the right direction as to where to find it, I would be most thankful and may just be spurred to carry on the project.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you need the Japanese Blu-ray for? The Kraken Blu-ray uses a much better transfer, but I'm guessing this has something to do with the numerous visual differences between various versions of the film.

Also, I'm curious about this other reconstruction, but if you'd rather not go into detail then I won't press the issue.
Yes while I don't own the toho bluray from what I've seen the kraken version is superior as it sources. As the kraken releases so far seem to be using the same international prints that sony remastered for their dvds back in the mid 2000's. Not sure why you would need to use the 720p too either of it as the kraken bluray definitely blows it out of the water. Just a tad curious as well why you would use either of those outside of the kraken release?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaFan1996 wrote:How is the project going?
My wife and I are expecting a baby in 3 weeks, so you can imagine this has not been a priority, and it won't be for the foreseeable future I'm afraid. Sorry to keep everyone waiting!!
G-MAN wrote: Yes while I don't own the toho bluray from what I've seen the kraken version is superior as it sources. As the kraken releases so far seem to be using the same international prints that sony remastered for their dvds back in the mid 2000's. Not sure why you would need to use the 720p too either of it as the kraken bluray definitely blows it out of the water. Just a tad curious as well why you would use either of those outside of the kraken release?
If all I was doing was slapping the AIP audio under the Kraken video, this would have been done in no time (in fact, technically it is done already). However, I am trying to reconstruct the AIP version, which has completely different titles. This has been the sticking point. The laserdisc rip of the film -- even though new and as high quality as possible -- is not suitable for HD presentation. Instead, I've been trying to mask out the titles from the Kraken source and use the Toho Bluray to fill in the holes (since the placement of the titles actually differ from version to version). I have to do it this way because the credits are on a continually moving background...not still images like previous films. Check out my previous post on this page with the clock to see what I'm talking about.

I have the 720 HDTV rip of the Toho print, which in the example above works fine since the shot is kind of dark, but the other shots have bright colors that stick out like a sore thumb. Hence why I'd like to at least try the full HD version of the Toho print. Even though it's lacking the same crisp detail, it should have slightly better results.