Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
WaverBoy
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

Post by WaverBoy »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:46 am
WaverBoy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:38 pm The only GvSM we’ll ever need.
tbuick66 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:35 pm Thank you so much for the definitive Godzilla Vs the Smog Monster!!
No matter how good his work, it shouldn't preclude others' attempts at the same kind of recreation or (although unlikely) any possible official restorations in the future.
Obviously nobody would want to discourage further attempts. It’s called gratitude.
Last edited by WaverBoy on Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

I'm very flattered by everybody's response to the reconstruction. It's been a very long road to get here and I'm very grateful for everybody's patience. And yes, my work is not meant to be definitive. If someone else comes along and does a better job I'd get behind them 100%, not to mention if a 35mm print ever shows up (either in fan circles or officially) then THAT's the one to call definitive. But for now...I'll humbly accept that title :)
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Clearly a lot of work was done to restore the English visuals. The work on the Fuji City map section was particularly well done, especially as you had to mask out the Japanese broadcaster who does not appear in the AIP release in front of the map.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Great Hierophant wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:05 pm Clearly a lot of work was done to restore the English visuals. The work on the Fuji City map section was particularly well done, especially as you had to mask out the Japanese broadcaster who does not appear in the AIP release in front of the map.
That is correct! And, let me be clear, the final result is not a 1:1 perfect match. That shot was a new insert for the English version and only appears in the 35mm prints of the film. It's also framed oddly on the laserdisc and VHS with "FUJI CITY" getting cut off at the "T" and other locale names only being partially visible. I felt that this was probably not how it was shown in theaters, so I had to "make up" the area that wasn't visible. To do that I took a frame of the Japanese shot in Photoshop, painted out the newscaster, and drew in the rest of the map with a closely matched frame of the LD rip as a guide. For the missing locales, I took a chance and searched for "Fuji City" on Google Maps and to my surprise, most of the map was accurate! It was easy to find "TOMEI EXPRESS" and "TOKAIDO" based on their relative position to other names listed in the film map.

Once that was done, I motion tracked the AIP shot in After Effects and matched the motion to the Photoshop file and applied grain.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

WaverBoy
Yojimbo

Post by WaverBoy »

goji1986 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:21 am
Great Hierophant wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:05 pm Clearly a lot of work was done to restore the English visuals. The work on the Fuji City map section was particularly well done, especially as you had to mask out the Japanese broadcaster who does not appear in the AIP release in front of the map.
That is correct! And, let me be clear, the final result is not a 1:1 perfect match. That shot was a new insert for the English version and only appears in the 35mm prints of the film. It's also framed oddly on the laserdisc and VHS with "FUJI CITY" getting cut off at the "T" and other locale names only being partially visible. I felt that this was probably not how it was shown in theaters, so I had to "make up" the area that wasn't visible. To do that I took a frame of the Japanese shot in Photoshop, painted out the newscaster, and drew in the rest of the map with a closely matched frame of the LD rip as a guide. For the missing locales, I took a chance and searched for "Fuji City" on Google Maps and to my surprise, most of the map was accurate! It was easy to find "TOMEI EXPRESS" and "TOKAIDO" based on their relative position to other names listed in the film map.

Once that was done, I motion tracked the AIP shot in After Effects and matched the motion to the Photoshop file and applied grain.
Holy CRAP!!! It didn’t even hit me that you had to do so much painstaking work — I guess I didn’t realize how much was altered for the US cut, and apart from the fantastic opening/closing credits and soundtrack synch, I never even noticed anything else, which is a testament to your wizardry. Wow. Now I’m even more impressed than before, which is really saying something. EXCELLENT WORK SIR!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by WaverBoy on Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silent.Séance
Ronin

Post by Silent.Séance »

Looking forward to checking this out! Thank you for all the hard work you put into the project! So, any future projects you have in mind?

Godzilla@1
Ronin

Post by Godzilla@1 »

May I have the link to the Godzilla vs The Smog Monstdr AIP dub? Because I really want to watch it again with this dub and not the toho one.

Zakkary123
Young Farmer

Post by Zakkary123 »

Hi goji1986 I'd really love to check this out too, not sure I can actually receive PM's yet though. I assume the link is not public?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Hey fellas. Sorry, but yes the link is not publicly shared. Once you have the ability to PM me feel free to do so and I’ll gladly share it.

AtomicZilla
Young Farmer

Post by AtomicZilla »

Can someone also PM me the link? I would love to watch this! ...not quite sure how to check or write PM's on here...

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

AtomicZilla wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:28 pm Can someone also PM me the link? I would love to watch this! ...not quite sure how to check or write PM's on here...
I believe this is a relatively new thing on these forums. You have to be active for a while before PMs are made available. Otherwise, check with a mod.

cheshire22
Ronin

Post by cheshire22 »

I am super excited to see this, as i have been following your progress from the beginning. How can I obtain a copy?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Did I never actually post my thoughts on this? Huh, I could've sworn I did months ago!

You did a fantastic job!! This reconstruction really recaptures the way I remember seeing this dub as a kid, and it was such a delight to finally hear the English version of Save the Earth again. ^_^ Well done!!

70sMonsterKid
Ronin

Post by 70sMonsterKid »

Hey there! Sent a PM for a link to this, but it only shows in my outbox, not my sent items), so I'm not sure if you got it or not. Would be VERY grateful if you could PM me a link for this – it's the first Godzilla movie I saw in a theater as a kid. Thanks!

cheshire22
Ronin

Post by cheshire22 »

Viewing this now. This Reconstruction is beautiful!!! Well done!
Resized Image

Insert this side into recorder ^ Do not touch the tape inside

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Hey all, with the recent Toho UHD release I’m pleased to announce I’m giving this reconstruction a 4k upgrade!

Been flying through the credits with a brand new workflow. I’ll share my process once the project is finished, but holy wow, this is a major improvement.