Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction 35mm hybrid v1.5 AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
hewylewis
Samurai

Re: Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction v0.6 AVAILABLE NOW

Post by hewylewis »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I think I remember either trying to start or getting involved with such a project years ago; this is a different project. I'd forgotten all about that.
Yeah, you cast me as the reporter character, you even had the opening credits sequence made.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Any updates?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I've ripped the Kraken Blu-ray, imported it to the project file and done some basic color correction on it - it's more or less just a white balance adjustment like what armoredsaint58 did (only a little less blue), plus brightness and contrast adjustment. Nothing complex, but it looks pretty good. I'll be getting down to the actual editing soon.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Sounds awesome and promising. Can't wait to finally check this out. Any possible release date yet? And how big of a file size you aiming for the 1080p version? As like I said before that I'd love to see a bluray quality version since the kraken is 50gb disc I believe as I don't think they compressed toho's disc and I'd love to have a somewhat definitive fan release as it seems no one will be releasing this officially with a restored or remastered print anytime soon.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

The main feature on Kraken's disc weighs in at 30GB. Prior Kraken releases weren't even pushing 20GB. Whatever faults may lie with this disc, and there are several, at least Kraken didn't skimp on the bitrate.

armoredsaint58
Ronin

Post by armoredsaint58 »

Great Hierophant wrote:The main feature on Kraken's disc weighs in at 30GB. Prior Kraken releases weren't even pushing 20GB. Whatever faults may lie with this disc, and there are several, at least Kraken didn't skimp on the bitrate.
Also having both audio tracks being dts hd master audio, both taking up 2gb of the actual file, so 4gb of the movie file in total is just audio.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The video stream by itself, ripped using MakeMKV and then extracted as a containerless H264 file, is 21.6GB. Checking the properties of the m2ts file I muxed it into for editing, it looks like the bitrate - and this is just the video alone, no audio - is over 30mbps. I don't know if I'll be rendering it at quite that high a bitrate, but I promise it won't be any lower than the roughly 20mbps bitrate on my DAM edit.

As for the release date, I'm going to try and get this out at the latest sometime in December. I was able to do the 720p version pretty quickly because I had nothing really going on, but I've got a lot going on with school at the moment, so I can't promise I'll be too efficient until break.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Woe sounds awesome I hope it does stay over 30mbs. And just curious since I use tsmuxer to make some blurays, is the audio codec going to be ac3?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Most likely. What I might end up doing is rendering a smaller, more manageable MP4 file for people who just want to watch it on their computers or other devices, and a higher-quality MKV file with Blu-ray compatible codecs and chapter breaks for people who want to burn it to a disc.

I'm thinking of doing a similar MKV file for the Destroy All Monsters edit, which will also have the advantage of negating any potential aspect ratio issues. So far I've been making and rendering these projects in the aspect ratios of the movies themselves; for instance, instead of 1920x1080, the project file for Godzilla 1985 uses 1920x1038 (1.85:1) and the one for DAM is 1920x818 (2.35:1). The Blu-ray quality files would actually be 1920x1080 with black bars at the top and bottom of the frame, as is standard for the format.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Update
I’ve begun working on the 1080p version of Godzilla 1985. I’ve ripped the uncompressed video track from the Kraken Blu-ray of The Return of Godzilla and added it to the project file, where I’ve boosted the contrast and performed a bit of white balance adjustment to alleviate the mediocre black levels and slight green tint of the Toho transfer. From here, I’ll be approaching the rest of the reconstruction in a slightly more organized fashion than I did for the 720p version, making a few separate passes over the project:
  • The first pass will consist of synchronizing the 1080p video with the existing 720p version. I’ve already begun this step; it’s a lot easier having already done it once, and I’ve gotten through the scene of Maki and Okumura being rescued from the fishing boat, which probably took me less than an hour. (I may also replace the stock footage from Godzilla, King of the Monsters! using the Criterion transfer.)
  • The second pass will consist of re-working the “patches” from the Monsters HD transfer that I used to cover various titles, captions and location supers in the Japanese version. This will mean re-aligning some of them and adjusting the colors somewhat, since unlike the 720p version I’ve actually done a spot of color correction on the Japanese source.
  • The third pass will be completely re-doing the subtitles on the Russian dialogue. I’ll be using a rip of the Australian VHS that contains the original theatrical subtitles as a source and as a reference for the position and timing. (I’ll also be using similar means to more accurately recreate the “100 MILES SOUTH OF TOKYO” location super.)
  • The final step will be applying film grain to the entire project, which will hopefully lend some consistency to the visuals as the video switches between SD and HD sources. This won’t be a cheap, default video effect; I’ll be using the same stock 35mm grain plate I used on my Destroy All Monsters project.
After that, I’ll probably be making two separate renders of the finished project. One will be an MP4 file in the original aspect ratio that’s encoded at a somewhat lower bitrate to keep the file size down (basically designed for convenience), while the other will be an MKV file encoded at a similar bitrate to the original Blu-ray source, using the appropriate codecs and dimensions for Blu-ray burning (I’ll probably include chapter stops as well if I can figure out how to add them).

I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress!
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction v1.0 1080p COMING SOON

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Great, can't wait to see it!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Well, here's a brief look at what I've been up to so far:

Here's the scene where Steve Martin arrives at the Pentagon, with the KotM stock footage sourced from the Criterion transfer.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Very nicely done, your passion and devotion for this project really show.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Well, here's a brief look at what I've been up to so far:

Here's the scene where Steve Martin arrives at the Pentagon, with the KotM stock footage sourced from the Criterion transfer.
Very nice! Have you considered replacing the stock footage on the screens with the Criterion source?
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I've thought about it, but there are a few reasons I don't think I'll be doing it.

One, that would constitute altering optical compositing work in the original film, which generally isn't considered kosher for projects like this (I think Harmy's gone to some lengths to preserve the original compositing work in Star Wars, for instance).

Two, that would be kind of complicated and necessitate cluttering the project with even more video tracks.

Three, it seems like it would be kind of distracting having extremely sharp images in the middle of a rather soft-looking shot from a lower-resolution source.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I think it's fine, the composite screen time is brief, the update cleans up the key segments.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

I notice in the test footage of it the 1985 footage has a lot of pixelation going on. Is it because you compressed it for YouTube or something else?

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

G-MAN wrote:I notice in the test footage of it the 1985 footage has a lot of pixelation going on. Is it because you compressed it for YouTube or something else?
I go with the YouTube compression process.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Probably YouTube compression combined with a lower resolution/lower bitrate source for the 1985 footage. The KotM footage doesn't exactly look its best on YouTube either
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Probably YouTube compression combined with a lower resolution/lower bitrate source for the 1985 footage. The KotM footage doesn't exactly look its best on YouTube either
OK so it was just a low bitrate then. Sweet just got a little worried when I tried watching it on 1080 on my TV and seeing some bad pixelation.