Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best and Worst Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:26 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:22 am Another Shin-style redesign of an Ultraman kaiju, this time of Magular!
By よう (@19990915yo)
I know next to nothing about Ultraman, but this looks pretty badass.
Sorry to stray from the thread's topic but I recommend giving the original Ultraman a try. While having dated effects and some kaiju that look goofy by modern standards, there are some really captivating stories in its 39-episode run. The first portion of the Showa era (Q to Return of Ultraman) are of a similar tone and I've heard the same said for the Heisei era, although I haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Also, there is Shin Ultraman (the basis for this artwork), which came out in Japan a couple weeks back and should be coming out in other countries relatively soon.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:30 pm
VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:26 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:22 am Another Shin-style redesign of an Ultraman kaiju, this time of Magular!
By よう (@19990915yo)
I know next to nothing about Ultraman, but this looks pretty badass.
Sorry to stray from the thread's topic but I recommend giving the original Ultraman a try. While having dated effects and some kaiju that look goofy by modern standards, there are some really captivating stories in its 39-episode run. The first portion of the Showa era (Q to Return of Ultraman) are of a similar tone and I've heard the same said for the Heisei era, although I haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Also, there is Shin Ultraman (the basis for this artwork), which came out in Japan a couple weeks back and should be coming out in other countries relatively soon.
Huh, I’ll need to check it out. Thanks!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Erroseart's Gamoni:

And nao70shark's grotesque take on Jamila:
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon May 30, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Image King Ghidorah by Spaceysoda

I’m not really a fan of KG having arms, remove that add legs and have the wings have webbed And I think this could be a good redesign
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon May 30, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gumle
Ronin

Post by Gumle »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:59 pm I’m not really a fan of KG having arms, remove that add legs and have the wings have webbed And I think this could be a good redesign
Or ya know, hear me out, literally none of that is what they wanted to do. Maybe that massive overhaul would completely change the designs intent

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like the arms. Gives the whole design a Cross-like image.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:59 pm Image King Ghidorah by Spaceysoda

I’m not really a fan of KG having arms, remove that add legs and have the wings have webbed And I think this could be a good redesign
Definitely has a more celestial vibe w/ this one. The makings for a twist villain reveal sort of scenario, or something close. Make you think it’s gonna be GMK then nope! Classic evil space monster here to “cleanse” civilization.

Added in 54 seconds:

Then it’d just be stylized fan art, not a redesign/reimagining.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Honestly, the only problem I have is the arms. I get Spacey probably was going for a cross-like visage but I think the wings accomplish that just fine. Plus, an amphiptere Ghidorah would be really cool.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Sorry guys I just prefer what KG looks like in my head rather in the Art

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm willing to be flexible on a lot of areas of Ghidorah's design, but I can't deal with arms. That's one of the few hard lines I'm going to draw. Wyvern wings are fine, but no separate arms.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^In another thread I brought up the idea of redesigning Ghidorah by making his heads not actually heads per say, but retractable tendrils. I've always wanted to make a more alien-looking design for the character. I know someone argued against my idea, but as long as they resemble heads and serve the same function, I figured it won't be that controversial a change.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 31, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

So something to consider is that King Ghidorah was designed at a time when the general consensus is that aliens basically look identical to Earth life forms, with usually some minor differences. This is why is design doesnt look all that alien because he was essentially designed as how Dragons are depicted on Earth, and as such has VERY Earthly biology. If King Ghidorah were made today, these more alien designs would probably work. However, he wasnt, as such many of these alien designs stray too far from the design that has already been established. Regardless of whether it is a good representation of an alien character, its an established design and that needs to be respected in order to have a proper redesign. You wouldnt see someone redesigning Superman to look like something out of Wayne Barlowe's expedition, even though Superman is an alien. Thats because its an established design.

That being said, Im happy to see more out there redesigns, if only to help push the extremes of what makes a good redesign.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Not a fan of the arms either, but I really like the overall angelic look it has.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

My overall philosophy on character redesign is that all character designs have traits that make them unique so as long as those traits are still there, you can go buckwild with the minor details. For example, the traits that make up Ghidorah in my mind are the gold coloration and overall frontal silhouette. This is why I'm actually okay with the 1998 design. He may be vastly different from the previous suits but he still has those characteristics that we come to expect, just in a different form.

So overall, I'm okay with unwebbed wings or Ghidorah's heads not actually being heads since they still fit with Ghidorah's classic silhouette. Arms, however, are too big a difference from what we know to be Ghidorah.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:25 pm Image by Prehistoricpark96
I like this one, including the stegosaurian tail spikes. That's a nice touch, and it would make Godzilla's tail an even bigger weapon than it was before, especially against other kaiju. Those things would definitely leave a mark.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Hey guys do you remember that unused kaiju called Fire lion Image Credit to the render: Hypergodzilla

Because Gugenheim98 made a fantastic redesign
What’s even better ih the lore that the fire lion is a sub species to King Caesar Who lives in South America
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue May 31, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:25 pm Image by Prehistoricpark96
A little bit thicker in the legs and Ill call it a perfect redesign.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 pm I like the arms. Gives the whole design a Cross-like image.
I think the wings accomplished that just fine. The arms just don't fit in with the rest of the design.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:06 pm So something to consider is that King Ghidorah was designed at a time when the general consensus is that aliens basically look identical to Earth life forms, with usually some minor differences. This is why is design doesnt look all that alien because he was essentially designed as how Dragons are depicted on Earth, and as such has VERY Earthly biology. If King Ghidorah were made today, these more alien designs would probably work. However, he wasnt, as such many of these alien designs stray too far from the design that has already been established. Regardless of whether it is a good representation of an alien character, its an established design and that needs to be respected in order to have a proper redesign. You wouldnt see someone redesigning Superman to look like something out of Wayne Barlowe's expedition, even though Superman is an alien. Thats because its an established design.

That being said, Im happy to see more out there redesigns, if only to help push the extremes of what makes a good redesign.
I won't mind a redesign of Superman that makes his outfit look more like Samus' fusion suit from Metroid.