Hamster's Godzilla Art: 8 Years of Progress

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Hamster's Godzilla Art: 8 Years of Progress

Post by LegendZilla »

Do you have a Deviantart account?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:32 am Do you have a Deviantart account?
Yes, but Im not super active anymore. Its BaryMiner

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

This is not Godzilla related at all, BUT it's also my thread so I don't think it matters. For the past 12 years I've been working on a webcomic project titled TEC: Outlands. It's been a massive endeavor and on Halloween last year, I quite prematurely posted the first issue. I was so focused on getting it out the door that I wasn't completely happy with it. I had a lot of unfleshed out ideas and chose to just role with it. The first issue dropped, then dead silence, for months. Then, my brother was killed, and I abandoned it and all other projects I was working on at the time.

Within the last two weeks, I decided to revitalize the project. Step one would be a three-month plan to flesh out the worldbuilding, beginning with the script and concepts, going into character design and writing, and finishing with extensive world building. I've had ideas about the details of where I want the plot to go for around 7 years now, but many of the ideas didn't click for me until the recent political sphere of my country. Suddenly, I understood why these ideas were important to me. The story of TEC is one of the last spot of life in a dying universe, ravaged by war and disease. The planet is controlled by an authoritarian regime, and it's up to our main characters to carry on the spirit of rebellion. The single biggest inspiration for this story is Half Life, with it beginning basically as a "this is what I want Half Life 3 to be" and involving into something I can call my own.

Here are the main cast, worth noting that some of these designs will be changed. My artstyle is shifting towards something simpler and more stylized.

And here is the cover for the first issue, which may or may not be changed

Added in 5 minutes 33 seconds:
Anyone curious in reading the outdated first issue, here
https://michaelmeyer0212.wixsite.com/tecthecomic
If you are seeing this a few months down the line, you should see the up to date comic.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:48 pm This is not Godzilla related at all, BUT it's also my thread so I don't think it matters. For the past 12 years I've been working on a webcomic project titled TEC: Outlands. It's been a massive endeavor and on Halloween last year, I quite prematurely posted the first issue. I was so focused on getting it out the door that I wasn't completely happy with it. I had a lot of unfleshed out ideas and chose to just role with it. The first issue dropped, then dead silence, for months. Then, my brother was killed, and I abandoned it and all other projects I was working on at the time.

Within the last two weeks, I decided to revitalize the project. Step one would be a three-month plan to flesh out the worldbuilding, beginning with the script and concepts, going into character design and writing, and finishing with extensive world building. I've had ideas about the details of where I want the plot to go for around 7 years now, but many of the ideas didn't click for me until the recent political sphere of my country. Suddenly, I understood why these ideas were important to me. The story of TEC is one of the last spot of life in a dying universe, ravaged by war and disease. The planet is controlled by an authoritarian regime, and it's up to our main characters to carry on the spirit of rebellion. The single biggest inspiration for this story is Half Life, with it beginning basically as a "this is what I want Half Life 3 to be" and involving into something I can call my own.

Here are the main cast, worth noting that some of these designs will be changed. My artstyle is shifting towards something simpler and more stylized.

What’s that purple girl’s name?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Her name is Chamsuiet, pronounced cam-sweet. The mutants have separate cultures as the humans so I wanted them to have unique sounding names and such.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Do her friends call her Cam?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Yeah, sometimes

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:54 pm Yeah, sometimes
Mind if I tell you that I have a thing for humanoid females with tails?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I mean, you do you. Lets not get too weird here lmao

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 pm I mean, you do you. Lets not get too weird here lmao
Regardless, I look forward to more pictures of her.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Totally random but I decided to photoshop a Bandai MMS Godzilla 1989 into existence

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would you mind if I made a thread dedicated to my art? I am working on a fictional world myself.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

You can always make your own separate art thread lol, its not really up to me

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Question for you: what type of paper and marker brand are you using?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

The paper I usually use is either just copy printer paper or pages of my canson sketchbook. Markers are Ohuhu.

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:14 am The paper I usually use is either just copy printer paper or pages of my canson sketchbook. Markers are Ohuhu.
Ah, Okay. I would suggest trying out some Bristol board for your illustrations. They tend to hold the inks better and make the colors pop better. The down side is that the boards are more expensive and suck up the ink more, which over time dries out the markers faster.

I don't have experience with the Ohuhu markers- but I would suspect that they behave much like the other alcohol-based markers. I use ShinHan TOUCH and Copic markers when I use markers.

cyrusvaster
Ronin

Post by cyrusvaster »

This is very cool progress, thanks for this post!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Thanks my guy. I'd like to say Ill be posting here more frequently, but being an artist with ADHD is pretty much the worst thing ever so who knows honestly.

I will say, Ive been doing a lot of writing behind the scenes for my comic, so thats fun. Redesigning a couple of characters to have a more stylized art direction and more diverse silhouettes.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:34 pm Thanks my guy. I'd like to say Ill be posting here more frequently, but being an artist with ADHD is pretty much the worst thing ever so who knows honestly.
And I have autism.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Found this gem

I'm working on redesigning most of my characters for when my comic relaunches. I made a few changes to the plot in light of my brother's death, since certain characters were eerily similar to him. That ended up becoming just a total rewrite for my series as a whole, where I figured out quite a few more details of the story that I otherwise would've just left alone. I had entire character motivations that Id "just figure out later" that I finally went and wrote down.

As for the redesigns, which will be posted here, my emphasis is on stylization and diversity in shapes and sizes. This has always been one of my tenants, as it creates more interesting and varied designs, but I'm ramping it up a bit. Simultaneously I'm fleshing out the different cultures and factions throughout the world. All part of a three month plan for my comic's relaunch.

I have also finished a new logo, so thats nice. The text uptop will be redone.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.