Random Dinosaur Art

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Random Dinosaur Art

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Isn't that last one Beasts of the Mesozoic cover art?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

By Julio Lacerda

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:06 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:59 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:48 pm I didnt see a thread for this, though maybe I just missed it. And since this is the general thread, not the Godzilla specific thread, I figured it be ok. Showcase cool dinosaur art here. Retro, modern and scientifically accurate, whatever you want.
Ill start with this comparison I drew a while back for the paleontology reddit before they nuked it of paleoart.
Is it possible that Tarbosaurus bataar could be Tyrannosaurus bataar, as some authorities have claimed?

And could there be just one known genus and species (Tyrannosaurus rex) with two known subspecies (T. r. rex and T. r. bataar)?
This type of stuff is mostly subjective and hard to predict with Mesozoic fauna because of a lack of proper genetic material. While morphology is a useful indicator it's often deceptive too. In Tarbo's case there are good arguments to be made on both sides so honestly neither take is wrong. Personally I feel like the cranial differences don't necessarily mean it cannot be in the same genus, just look at Panthera.
Executive Hamster, I forgot to mention that I liked the picture. I never realized that Tyrannosaurus and Tarbosaurus were not too tall compared to a human.

And Dv-218, by " proper genetic material", I take it you mean things other than bones, such as skin, muscles, internal organs, etc.

Other dinosaur genera have been lumped before. Look at Triceratops - it went from 15 species to two (Triceratops horridus and Triceratops prorsus).

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:06 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:59 am Is it possible that Tarbosaurus bataar could be Tyrannosaurus bataar, as some authorities have claimed?

And could there be just one known genus and species (Tyrannosaurus rex) with two known subspecies (T. r. rex and T. r. bataar)?
This type of stuff is mostly subjective and hard to predict with Mesozoic fauna because of a lack of proper genetic material. While morphology is a useful indicator it's often deceptive too. In Tarbo's case there are good arguments to be made on both sides so honestly neither take is wrong. Personally I feel like the cranial differences don't necessarily mean it cannot be in the same genus, just look at Panthera.
Executive Hamster, I forgot to mention that I liked the picture. I never realized that Tyrannosaurus and Tarbosaurus were not too tall compared to a human.

And Dv-218, by " proper genetic material", I take it you mean things other than bones, such as skin, muscles, internal organs, etc.

Other dinosaur genera have been lumped before. Look at Triceratops - it went from 15 species to two (Triceratops horridus and Triceratops prorsus).
Yeah exactly, it's mainly such material that would help us to properly determine taxonomy or who is closer to who. Since we don't have that in great quantity it's mainly educated best guesses based on anatomy and how similar it is to other genera- in case of Tarbo we can definitely tell that it is a Tyrannosaurin Tyrannosaurid but we cannot surely say if it's the same genus as Tyrannosaurus or no. I'm inclined to believe it is mainly because the time frame it existed in somewhat aligns with the supposed period when the hypothetical "proto-rex" arrived from Asia.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 pm Executive Hamster, I forgot to mention that I liked the picture. I never realized that Tyrannosaurus and Tarbosaurus were not too tall compared to a human.
Its funny you say that cause Ive been looking back at this and I think the human I did is actually a little bit too tall here. And I also think the Tarbo is slightly too large.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Do fictional ones count?
By 202Vincent

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Sure. And that looks WAY cooler than the design in universe. I will refrain for the time being from using this thread to rant about my strong dislike of the two Jurassic World movies.....

but that day is bound to come sooner or later......
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Always loved Hellraptor. Its funny that I looked up to him so much as a kid and thought I could never be that good, and now Id say Im roughly the same skill level as him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

There should be a separate thread for extinct Cenozoic fauna.

Added in 1 minute 9 seconds:
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:40 am Always loved Hellraptor. Its funny that I looked up to him so much as a kid and thought I could never be that good, and now Id say Im roughly the same skill level as him.
How long has he been doing art?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

You are welcome to make one. I guess I should have called this thread Random Paleoart

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Gabriel N.U. does the coolest paleoart ever. Here's his rendition of Carcharodontosaurus.

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Giganotosaurus Carolini. Art by Gabriel n.u.

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Does anyone think that Giganotosaurus could've been directly ancestral to Mapusaurus?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m a big hybrids fan
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:05 pm ^Does anyone think that Giganotosaurus could've been directly ancestral to Mapusaurus?
Its possible, just not super likely. Given the rarity of fossils, its a bit unlikely we would just so happen to find two species that are DIRECTLY related in such a way.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I don't think Fred Wierum has made a single piece of average-or-worse paleoart.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:54 am I don't think Fred Wierum has made a single piece of average-or-worse paleoart.
This one's great! I guess this one's a tyrannosaurid, but which one is it? Tyrannosaurus? Tarbosaurus? Gorgosaurus? Albertasaurus? What?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:54 am I don't think Fred Wierum has made a single piece of average-or-worse paleoart.
This one's great! I guess this one's a tyrannosaurid, but which one is it? Tyrannosaurus? Tarbosaurus? Gorgosaurus? Albertasaurus? What?
Alioramus.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:20 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Alioramus.
Thanks!