Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by G-Matt »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:31 am I'm nine episodes into Komi Can't Communicate, which is wonderful. The side characters are a little bit of a mixed bag, but Komi herself carries the show no problem, and Tadano is also very likable. They handle Komi's social anxiety well; it's mostly played for laughs or cuteness, as befits a cartoon, but they don't let the audience forget that it's still a legitimate burden for her to bear. She's very relatable. I'm not quite as crippled as she is, but I don't socialize well at all IRL, I'm definitely the silent, awkward weirdo at work, and the show portrays that kind of experience pretty effectively without getting depressing about it. Art and animation look nice, and I love all the little pop-up captions that narrate what the awkward characters are thinking. The music is also great.
I'm up to episode 11 and this show has been so good! It's definitely my favorite anime of 2021, along with GSP of course. I'm also glad that we're getting season 2 in April. :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Has anyone brought up the works of Tatsunoko Production on this thread?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I'm not a big anime watcher. But I did just finish When They Cry (2006)

What I like is how each subsequent arc reveals more and more about the main characters, despite Keiichi usually being the nominal lead character in each of them--at least the first three. With each thing we learn about the characters, different aspects of the previous arcs become clearer in retrospect. Most questions are answered by the final episode, although the ending is quite ambiguous. I understand that the second series, "When They Cry: Kai", explains more about the cyclical nature of the stories. The series on the whole is enjoyable, if disturbing, and I liked all the twists, turns and reveals that pop up as each story progresses

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

H-Man wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:10 am I'm not a big anime watcher. But I did just finish When They Cry (2006)

What I like is how each subsequent arc reveals more and more about the main characters, despite Keiichi usually being the nominal lead character in each of them--at least the first three. With each thing we learn about the characters, different aspects of the previous arcs become clearer in retrospect. Most questions are answered by the final episode, although the ending is quite ambiguous. I understand that the second series, "When They Cry: Kai", explains more about the cyclical nature of the stories. The series on the whole is enjoyable, if disturbing, and I liked all the twists, turns and reveals that pop up as each story progresses
I watched the first season on Netflix, and I can say that it's the most disturbing anime I've seen thus far. Sure, the animation style isn't the most pleasing to look at sometimes, but the atmosphere alone makes up for it. I'm looking forward to watching the following seasons when I get the chance.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I finished reading Dr Stone, since it wrapped up very recently. Although not a perfect manga, it was one of those stories that spoke to me on such a quiet but real level. It reminded me of the kid I was, wrapped up in science books, wanting to discover the world around him. All the while, each character in the "main cast" got something to do to show their ability. I'm still trying to find the right words for it, but this manga was a beautiful journey of human perseverance. It is going to stick with me for a long time.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaiju no 8 has been reportedly picked up by TOHO Animation! News on an animation studio has not yet been announced.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not keeping up on many anime but I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is anyone aware that we’re in for a Urusei Yatsura reboot?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:05 pm Is anyone aware that we’re in for a Urusei Yatsura reboot?
That totally took me off guard when I first saw the news and the teaser trailer.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

G-Matt wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:05 pm Is anyone aware that we’re in for a Urusei Yatsura reboot?
That totally took me off guard when I first saw the news and the teaser trailer.
How likely is it that they'll re-contextualize some of the story elements found in the original that hasn't aged well? For example, maybe Ataru's lechery could stem from pent-up frustrations with his less-then-deal home life. Also, maybe Ryunosuke's dad treats the way he does because of his own daddy issues.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

In other news, Happy 10th Anniversary to KyoAni's Hyouka! :D

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I've heard good things about Hyouka, so it's high on my watch list. I'll probably start it later this year, once S2 of Komi Can't Communicate is over.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

After a long hiatus, I picked Demon Slayer back up, and just got done with S1 episodes 17-20. I hardly remember the earlier episodes at this point, but I can pretty safely say that the show kind of hits its stride in the spider arc. It's legitimately cool now, and willing to take its time to let things breathe. Also, it probably helps that I'm watching it subbed now; that eliminates some of the clunkiness that comes from the dub. The Hashira are awesome so far, especially the freaking demented butterfly girl.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Ya Boy Kongming! is set to be a pretty solid anime. I’m four episodes in and I’m hooked on the comedy and character interactions.
It’s got a similar vibe to Zombieland Saga and with a similar kind of “strategic thinking” payoff as shonen like HxH. It’s unusual for sure, but I recommend at least checking out one or two episodes to get the best grasp of it. Definitely stands out this season imo.

Plus the music is pretty bangin.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Wed May 18, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

G-Matt wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:57 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:31 am I'm nine episodes into Komi Can't Communicate, which is wonderful. The side characters are a little bit of a mixed bag, but Komi herself carries the show no problem, and Tadano is also very likable. They handle Komi's social anxiety well; it's mostly played for laughs or cuteness, as befits a cartoon, but they don't let the audience forget that it's still a legitimate burden for her to bear. She's very relatable. I'm not quite as crippled as she is, but I don't socialize well at all IRL, I'm definitely the silent, awkward weirdo at work, and the show portrays that kind of experience pretty effectively without getting depressing about it. Art and animation look nice, and I love all the little pop-up captions that narrate what the awkward characters are thinking. The music is also great.
I'm up to episode 11 and this show has been so good! It's definitely my favorite anime of 2021, along with GSP of course. I'm also glad that we're getting season 2 in April. :D
I've been following the Komi manga for at least a couple of years now, and it's definitely good comfort-food content. I'm glad the anime has been handling the material well; another title I've been following, Miss Shikimori Isn't Just Cute, also has a show airing now, but I feel like it's missing a little bit of something in execution. I haven't started season 2 of Komi yet, but it's first on my list when I renew Netflix.

What I HAVE been watching - and loving - is season 3 of Kaguya-sama: Love is War. This show is side-splitting hilarious, and a masterclass of an adaptation, imo. I've been revisiting the prior two seasons as well, and all together this series may be solidifying as one of my most favorites. I'm excited to see how far the anime will ultimately get; the manga is wrapping up soon, but there's plenty of content to cover still.

Did anyone happen to catch Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department last season? I was introduced to it by a friend, and it was a very funny "grounded" take on tokusatsu heroes, particularly Japan's various regional "real-life" heroes who help promote the localities. The show is told from the perspective of the design team for a villainous organization, and goes into all the gritty inconvenient details involved in maintaining the organization. I highly recommend it; the production values are average, but the story content is on-point.
G-Matt wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 am In other news, Happy 10th Anniversary to KyoAni's Hyouka! :D
Man, ten years already; to think that Nichijou hit a decade last year too. That was shortly before I started watching anime myself!!
Hyouka is indeed very good, although it's definitely a slow burn. I was surprised at how low-key it was, even knowing ahead of time; but it's definitely a very well-done show.
Word has there MIGHT be a new animated project in the works, following some other anniversary events that were held in April. I don't think I've seen a definitive announcement, but I'm certainly intrigued.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm up to the Christmas episode of Komi, and this season is great so far. Yamai still drags things down sometimes, but she's funny just often enough to make up for it. I love how this show manages to be equal parts stupid anime nonsense and insightful, ultra-relatable brilliance. It's amazing when it wants to be.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Komi is still going strong, minus the occasional little hiccup. Tadano and Komi's awkward romance is a big highlight; the Valentine's Day episode gave me diabeetus.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

^I just watched the second class trip episode yesterday, and I really loved Komi getting to spend time with the two new girls. Also it doesn't hurt that they're now fellow Komi/Tadano shippers.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Just going to profess my love for My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer. Obvious and "popular" picks, I know. I've watched them both for years and they are so good that I make a point to buy them physically on Blu Ray just for the best viewing experience.

My Hero Academia is like an amazing fusion of Dragon Ball Z, X-Men, and The Avengers. It is basically the all-inclusive pastiche of superhero content that just feels like it makes everything prior obsolete and irrelevant. Nothing that Marvel or DC are doing holds a candle to this. Obviously not on the comics side, but even on the cinematic side...they are both total busts these days and My Hero is still fresh and utterly engaging.

If My Hero is the modern usurper of DBZ and Marvel/DC superhero movies, then I have to say Demon Slayer takes the thematic groundwork of stuff like Game of Thrones or The Witcher...dark, violent, action-fantasy-horror and just mops the floor with them. Jaw dropping visuals, animation and such a commitment to compelling characters and intense action-horror sequences.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

About a week ago, I decided that I wanted to get into the Dragon Ball franchise. Mainly because it’s always intrigued me, and because it’s massively popular (AKA FOMO lol).

Today I am on Episode 17 of the original Dragon Ball; and I gotta say, it’s pretty damn good. I’m kindasorta only really watching it because it provides context for the proceeding series’ and not because I actually wanted to, but insofar it still seems worthwhile.

Hopefully, my hype for DBZ/DBS is worth it.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: