Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Anyone else here read Dandadan? I've spent the past week reading the 80 chapters released so far and it's really, really good! Chaotic, endearing, and masterfully drawn.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

One Piece Film Red was pretty good, I had a lot of fun with the songs and the animation was great overall. Uta was pretty interesting as far as characters go, at least in my opinion.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Osamu Tezuka’s Phoenix manga has just peaked my interest. Largely in part due yo the site’s latest update.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm four episodes into Spy x Family, and it's really hooked me already. It's a great premise, funny and original, and it's well-executed across the board. Definitely a show I'll stick with, I think.

EDIT: It strikes a great balance between wacky absurdity and heartwarming sincerity. The characters lie for a living and casually do all these terrible things, but all without a drop of malice. They're perfectly good people just bumbling through their day and trying to do the right thing, so they're easy to root for.

Delivery of exposition is also handled fairly elegantly. There's a decent amount of lore and context and backstory, but it's just trickled out to us on a need-to-know basis with periodic reminders.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Spy X Family is very good. As you say, the show does an impressive job handling some shady and dark aspects without undercutting the lighthearted tone. We're shown and told just enough to understand there are real stakes for the protagonists, but not enough to ever distract from the comical shenanigans or wholesome character dynamics. Apparently a season 2 AND a feature film are in the works for later this year, so I'm looking forward to following this series for a while.

I'm also hoping Bocchi the Rock! gets a 2nd season announcement sometime soon; if we want to talk about absurd shenanigans, Bocchi is a delightful coming-of-age story with the animation and editing chops to rival Kaguya-Sama: Love is War, and enough experimentation that I almost felt like I was watching a Pop Team Epic spinoff (speaking of, that was also great this season - anyone still thinking of Hellshake Yano?). There's a fine line between sympathy and mockery sometimes, but Bocchi manages to tease its socially-anxious protagonist without ever feeling mean-spirited about it. Winter was already packed with some impressive shows, but Bocchi still managed to be a pleasant surprise.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yuyu Hakusho 30th anniversary boxset is officially coming. Finally those two newest OVAs are getting dubbed.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Bocchi the Rock was fantastic.

I also recently made my most serious effort yet to get into One Piece, but... man. It's not bad by any means. But I keep asking, No, guys, when does it really get good? I worry I'm missing out, and it would really hook me just around the corner, but... damn. It's just way too long until it picks up, if it ever truly does.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think the One Piece manga could end by 2025? I hope so.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:25 pm Does anyone think the One Piece manga could end by 2025? I hope so.
We can only hope. In the words of Jake Skywalker "it is time for the one piece to end."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I started Naruto the other day and am seven episodes in. I dunno if it's going to hook me enough to keep me on board for another 713 episodes, but it's off to a fun start! I never realized how much Avatar: TLA took inspiration from this show. Kinda fascinating to see it from that perspective.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Anybody here watched Blood Plus? It's become one of my favorite anime.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica yesterday. Holy cow, was it amazing! Definitely one of the best anime I've seen, and now I really want to see the movie sequels.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Slowly catching up to my manga that I fell behind on. Kaiju no 8 and Jujutsu Kaisen consistently get me hyped, especially with Kaiju no 8's recent chapters. Black Clover is ramping up for a smashing finale, so I'm stoked to keep reading it.
G-Matt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:30 pm I finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica yesterday. Holy cow, was it amazing! Definitely one of the best anime I've seen, and now I really want to see the movie sequels.
That sounds interesting, I might have to check that out.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:36 am I started Naruto the other day and am seven episodes in. I dunno if it's going to hook me enough to keep me on board for another 713 episodes, but it's off to a fun start! I never realized how much Avatar: TLA took inspiration from this show. Kinda fascinating to see it from that perspective.
Despite its reputation, IMO Naruto is actually quite good. Better if you read it or make sure to skip filler, but yeah. Pretty near peak shounen.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I spent a great deal of my youth watching anime on Toonami and then adult swim from '99 to the mid '00s, which I mention only because I just fell into a YouTube rabbit hole of watching the commercial breaks (complete with bumpers and promos) from those broadcasts and am experiencing nostalgia so intense it's actually kinda spooky!

Hmmmm... I should rewatch Samurai Champloo! I was so into Bebop as a kid I felt disappointed the follow-up was so different. I should give it another chance.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

SlimD716? He specializes in updating old Toonami intros and promos with HD assets. He in the past couple years started expanding to other CN properties.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I've seen some of those, but mostly plain old vhs rips!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

With Demon Slayer airing right now and Jujutsu Kaisen and Bleach continuing this summer, it's one of the best times I can remember for fantasy fighting anime.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:54 pm I spent a great deal of my youth watching anime on Toonami and then adult swim from '99 to the mid '00s, which I mention only because I just fell into a YouTube rabbit hole of watching the commercial breaks (complete with bumpers and promos) from those broadcasts and am experiencing nostalgia so intense it's actually kinda spooky!
On a related note, I started looking up the schedules from the entire history of Toonami. Turns out my fuzzy, warm nostalgia I had isn't entirely accurate. I remember being a devoted viewer who'd watch the whole block every day for years, but now I see how I'd lose interest when DBZ went into reruns and miss the premier or a substantial amount of episodes of a new series and I'd give up trying to follow that series, etc. etc.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Finally watched Perfect Blue, and it's immediately not just one of my favorite anime ever but among my very favorite films, period.