Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by o.supreme »

^ Well it looks like my question was answered. Even though RS doesn't technically exist anymore, it looks like Crunchyroll is using the same distribution location in Grimes IA. Oh well. They processed the order quick enough, a few extra days shipping is normal.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I started and have been enjoying The Witch and the Beast. I wouldn't give it my "Watch this NOW" type rec like I do for Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man, but it's a weirdly nostalgic and pleasant series so far.

With gothic stylings, a late '90s/2000s art style, and a premise & structure reminiscent of popular action/fantasy series that popularized Adult Swim and Toonami, it scratches this very specific and slightly hard to define itch.

I guess I'd describe it as a mish-mash of series like Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Witch Hunter Robin, and Hellsing. It has the traveling duo trope, a magical investigation organization, the cool/collected technical guy + hot-headed brute girl... (well, watch and you'll see), and so far it favors a monster of the week episodic pace, though there's sure to be some arcs coming up. It also doesn't hurt that 2/3 of the episodes I've watched so far featured giant kaiju-like monsters. :pelops2:

Is there a term for that type of anime/manga? Adventure + subgenre maybe? This particular manga started in a seinen men's mag.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone prefer the cel-painted to anime look as seen in virtually everything pre-2000 in comparison to being drawn digitally?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:54 pm Does anyone prefer the cel-painted to anime look as seen in virtually everything pre-2000 in comparison to being drawn digitally?
I don't really have a preference.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Post by OrnithopodaistheBest »

So, what are you people, a subs or dubs person? This is going to ruffle some feathers but i am an unabashedly dubs guy. Oh yeah, i know, big scary 4kids and their jelly-filled donuts, but, hey as a non-Usa person, we do get consistently high-quality dubs for most animus and recent English offerings have improved a lot, so, call me a tourist all you want but that's the way it is.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I am mostly a subs guy. With that said, there are some dubs that I do consider good, like Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star; while others, like Clannad and Girls und Panzer, I find hard to watch dubbed because some of the voices just don't fit the characters IMO.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

With me being hard of hearing I prefer subs, and with dubs you also lose the nuance of the original VA performance...
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Surprised nobody brought this up, since it was news a few days ago, but apparently Disney+ will be streaming most of the Macross anime series (except for the original, and the Movie Do You Remember Love?) Those will be available only in Japan, likely because of Harmony Golds stranglehold on Robotech in North America (Booo!)

Still... I have the Macross II and Plus DVD's from forever ago. it will nice to finally see 7, Frontier & Delta though.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Very excited for Kaiju No. 8, but I guess we have a thread for that in the Reiwa area.

Fantasy anime, not just "isekai" shows, really seem to have had a renaissance.

Frieren is one I've been savoring very slowly, and after a handful of episodes or so, it very much deserves its hype. A richly realized fantasy world with an emotional core that's unique and particular to its setting while still feeling relevant to life.

Dungeon Meshi ("Delicious in Dungeon," the awkward English title I hate) is another unique blend of subgenres that never fails to delight. Part fantasy adventure, part slice of life cooking show, Dungeon Meshi features a cast of immediately lovable characters and just enough darkness and mystery in its overarching plot to anchor its typically light-hearted episodic stories.

Just started KonoSuba tonight. I keep saying I'm not going to get into any isekais, but I've also fared pretty well in just skimming the true cream of the crop, and this one seems to be a strong comedic addition to the subgenre.

Heavenly Delusion - Another I'm midway through but am enjoying. It's not easy to make a postapocalyptic setting feel fresh, but this one pulls it off through a combination of its worldbuilding and its likable lead characters.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle