Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Chrispy_G »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:38 pm About a week ago, I decided that I wanted to get into the Dragon Ball franchise. Mainly because it’s always intrigued me, and because it’s massively popular (AKA FOMO lol).

Today I am on Episode 17 of the original Dragon Ball; and I gotta say, it’s pretty damn good. I’m kindasorta only really watching it because it provides context for the proceeding series’ and not because I actually wanted to, but insofar it still seems worthwhile.

Hopefully, my hype for DBZ/DBS is worth it.
Thats awesome. You definitely took the road of the manly men by starting with Dragon Ball.

I have a close friend who loves Dragon Ball Z and Super, but just can't bring himself to go back and watch Dragon Ball.

As it progressss...the spectacle and hype gets bigger while the storytelling declines.

Dragon Ball is great storytelling and character....Super is basically all flash and hype.

I think the perfect balance between the two occurs during the first major arc of Dragon Ball Z. The Frieza Arc is where solid adventure storytelling and insane mega fights kind of complemented each other the best. Then it started to become a less engaging narrative and less of a story and more of a setting and set up for battles.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

ShinWataru
Ronin

Post by ShinWataru »

Last year I decided to see what anime Netflix suggested since I LOVED Castlevania.

Toradora! and Demon Slayer of course

Also Godzilla SP was 🔥
A Silent Voice 🔥
Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop 🔥
Doro Hedoro 🔥 🔥 🔥

And over in HBO Max, Jujutsu Kaisen has become my absolute fav. I watched Dragon Ball Super and Super Dragonball Heroes subbed from Nyaa long ago

Glad to see Bastard! got a remake

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Chainsaw Man part 2 started with a beefy chapter, and I'm excited to keep reading this story. New potential antagonist.
With the anime on the horizon, it's getting more exciting to be a fan.
I also tuned in for the Dr. Stone special and that did a good job adapting the manga, I'm excited for the new season. It's a solid and unique shonen with a lot of cool science and fun characters.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Crunchyroll seems to be taking control of the entire market. First Funimation and now Right Stuf Anime.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think it would be interesting if the companies behind various Shojo manga made a push for more androgynous tomboy protagonists in their series. Doing so could draw in more male readers.

Added in 29 minutes 45 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:29 pm Crunchyroll seems to be taking control of the entire market. First Funimation and now Right Stuf Anime.
There’s still Viz Media.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Luckily for Viz they're also a major manga publisher here in the west. Hell many of the anime now owned by Crunchyroll have their accompanying manga published by Viz.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

ShinWataru wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:03 pm
And over in HBO Max, Jujutsu Kaisen has become my absolute fav.
It's really way above average. A testament to how much stylish execution matters with entertainment media like shonen mango

edit: also are you THE wataru from way back in the day?

DOUBLE EDIT:

Some recent cool stuff

Yuru Camp ("Laid Back Camp")
This show is amazing. One of the very best things lately. Super chill and makes me wanna camp in mountainous Japan in the winter. If you like slice of life shows (there's like zero fanservice for the prudes and conservatives on here), you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

Mushoku Tensei
One of the isekai (alternate world) series among the current trend I'd been avoiding. But this one is worth it. Fascinating world, fantastic humor, exciting action, winding plot. If you like fantasy worlds, this is a must-see.

Rise of the Shield Hero
See above. Another worthwhile entry in the isekai genre. This one lives (or dies depending on your mileage) on its protag and your enjoyment of harem style party recruitment. But it's a lot better than that and a rich, complex world undergirds the angst of its protagonist and the various recruits he employs.

Demon Slayer
Hype isn't wrong. It's a cool show, season 1 especially. Movie overrated, season 2 just pretty good. Still worth your time.

Goblin Slayer
Honestly, more interesting than above (Nezuko aside). Brutal, dark, fascinating world.

Dr. Stone
An unusual shonen. Give it a shot. It's weird and cool.

Ranking of Kings
A truly unique entry. A little sentimental maybe, but it's hard not to love. Quirky, strange world with likable characters, some great action, and some feel-good messages.

Vinland Saga
THE epic action anime right now. Complex characters, tense action, surprising plot developments. Season 2 is about to start, so get on this ASAP.

The Promised Neverland
I hesitated on this one because of its similarities to Kazuo Ishiguro's novel, but it's definitely different enough to merit attention. Severely claustrophobic feelings are evoked by this tense drama. It's incredibly suspenseful, dark, and satisfying. Season 2 is optional. Watch if you want to know the secrets and lore. Season 1 stands on its own as a strong set piece.
Last edited by Jomei on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

ShinWataru
Ronin

Post by ShinWataru »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:52 pmedit: also are you THE wataru from way back in the day?
I am :)

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

ShinWataru wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:03 am
Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:52 pmedit: also are you THE wataru from way back in the day?
I am :)
Sweet. Hello.

On topic: started watching FLCL Progressive after much delay
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I finished reading Chainsaw Man Part 1 recently. Loved it, minus the occasional annoyance at not really understanding what exactly is happening in a few key moments and having to re-read a couple of times. I loved the monster designs, world building, and a lot of other details.

Massive spoiler for those that haven't finished part 1:
Spoiler:
I'm looking forward to the anime, because I'm curious how it'll affect a second "reading" while knowing the big twist. A bunch of stuff felt odd throughout the series based on the lack of knowledge that Makima is pretty fucked, so I'm looking forward to it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Robot Carnival (1987, d: Atsuko Fukushima, Hidetoshi Oomori, Hiroyuki Kitakubo, Hiroyuki Kitazume, Katsuhiro Otomo, Koji Morimoto, Mao Lamdo, Takashi Nakamura, Yasuomi Umetsu) - A beautifully-drawn anthology of stories about robots, androids, etc., which each story having its own art style and general tone. A few, like "Star Lite Angel" and "Deprive", are more action-oriented stories full of lasers, robot-tank thingies and alien overlords. A lot of people are divided over "Clouds," which is animated to look like an illustration panel of a picture book come to life. It doesn't really have a story, but is mainly about a robot boy wandering the Earth during different periods of humanity. I particularly liked "Presence," about an affection-starved inventor/toymaker who does a Pygmalion with a robot girl, only to be put off by the humanoid's growing sentience. "Chicken Man and Red Neck" feels like a robot version of Fantasia's "Night on Bald Mountain" segment, featuring a villainous robot who looks like Crow from MST3K. And because the Japanese can't resist giant robots fighting each other, "Strange Tales of Meiji Machine Culture: Westerner's Invasion" features steampunk mechs duking it out like a 19th century incarnation of a Super Sentai show. Highly recommended for the art alone.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Purportedly One Punch Man season 3 is in pre production with a yet another studio handling the animation. If true glad to hear it. Binged both seasons and all the OVAs last summer and really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Added in 1 hour 49 minutes 16 seconds:
Guess it's no longer a rumor.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... itter_news

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why is it that healthy a romance between two characters have to be reserved mostly for Shojo anime and manga? Shonen almost always turns any relationship into a joke at the characters' expense. Just look at the relationship between Goku and Chichi, or any relationship from the works of Rumiko Takahashi.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:13 pm Why is it that healthy a romance between two characters have to be reserved mostly for Shojo anime and manga? Shonen almost always turns any relationship into a joke at the characters' expense. Just look at the relationship between Goku and Chichi, or any relationship from the works of Rumiko Takahashi.
Must be some ingrained cliche for shonen. I’m glad the likes of One Piece are at least honest that romance isn’t the focus. The ones that toy with you only to make it a constant running gag don’t sit right, esp when character chemistry is on point otherwise. Would love to see a shonen that does a healthy romance right.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How’s this for a theory : L from Death Note is the product of a eugenics program in which they selectively bred the smartest people to produce the perfect detective.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:47 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:13 pm Why is it that healthy a romance between two characters have to be reserved mostly for Shojo anime and manga? Shonen almost always turns any relationship into a joke at the characters' expense. Just look at the relationship between Goku and Chichi, or any relationship from the works of Rumiko Takahashi.
Must be some ingrained cliche for shonen. I’m glad the likes of One Piece are at least honest that romance isn’t the focus. The ones that toy with you only to make it a constant running gag don’t sit right, esp when character chemistry is on point otherwise. Would love to see a shonen that does a healthy romance right.
Because Shonen are typically written for young boys so they naturally shy away from romance subplots. Still its not like healthy relationships don't happen even in Dragonball. Just look at Krillin & 18 or Gohan & Videl.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:51 pm
CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:47 pm
Because Shonen are typically written for young boys so they naturally shy away from romance subplots. Still its not like healthy relationships don't happen even in Dragonball. Just look at Krillin & 18 or Gohan & Videl.
When healthy relationships do happen, they almost NEVER happen with the main character. When a couple is healthy, usually one partner dies.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

It's really funny they're remaking Urusei Yatsura.

That and Bleach starting up again make this season feel like a time warp.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Happy 10th Anniversary to Girls und Panzer! :D

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^I only made it halfway through the second episode of that show. I dunno. I have a high tolerance for absurdity, but this show's premise pushes the limit pretty hard. Some undefined aspect of it really grated on my nerves, too. Literally; it was like nails on a chalkboard. That was years ago, though; maybe I should take another shot at it sometime.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio