Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Firestorm
Yojimbo

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Firestorm »

Does anyone know of any anime that tells the Japanese creation myth in extensive detail?
Kinda sorta Toei's Orochi from 1967?
However if you don't mind not necessarily hearing from me about them for a while, I'd be happy to add some more stuff to the list. Watcha got?
Alright, I'm going to assume time period won't be a problem.

-Full Metal Panic!: Because we need a final season to cap things off and all four seasons are on Crunchyroll, Fumoffu is the optional season.
-Demonbane: You like literature allusions, mostly HP Lovecraft? Also on munchy crunchy!
-Combattler V: First of Tadao Nagahama's robot romance trilogy with Voltes V (Five) and Daimos (technically four but Daltanious is too much of a slapstick comedy while the other three were pretty serious for their time). Zambot 3 and this were my gateway into 70s anime.... Mostly because those were all that were available back in 2009.
-Getter Robo Armageddon: Imagine Godzilla + Mad Max + John Carpenter's The Thing. Writing is sort of inconsistent because the first director died during production so if you can't make heads or tails on the mad scientist's goals you're not alone. New Getter Robo is also recommended if you like zombies and onis!
-Acrobunch: Ancient Aliens: The Anime. Anyone that claims Evangelion had a ballsy ending never saw this. It wasn't even fully subbed until two years back, it's a legit gem.
-Zegapain: Very high in philosophy and done really well. Also lots of neon and computers.
-Dougram: Yeah it's 75 episodes long but it's worth it, easily one of the best war stories ever made.
-Raijin-Oh: The best and first of the Eldoran trilogy, a class of kids get their own giant robot and the kaiju are very out there (created from people's annoyances). Very high quality.
-Gravion: A big homage to the Braves franchise, mostly Fighbird design wise, and if you can stomach a lot of Obari's ecchi elements it does not disappoint.
-Giant Gorg: Very pulpy adventure series loaded with 80s commentary. Last episode was wonky.
-Big O: Also pulpy but for mystery, if you like 60s looks it delivers. Second half went with CGI colors and some think it hurt the series, I don't share this viewpoint.
-Godannar: Very comedic and ecchi heavy, but it's funny and written shockingly well. Also tons of action.
-Xabungle: Realistic robots with slapstick, from the same creator of Mobile Suit Gundam no less! It's actually one of Tomino's best works. Not too many realistic robot anime have the main mech catching an ICBM and throwing it.
-Orguss: Where are you going when are you coming home- Err. AHEM. One of the very first isekai with an unforgettable journey and delivers on the action. Kei was the first main character voiced by the legendary Sho Hayami who has ended up being my favorite anime voice actor of all time.
-Buddy Complex: It's short, gets to the point, and delivers a lot. Hope you don't mind time travel.
-Genesis of Aquarion: There is no better normal anime. None. I am including the two part OVA Wings of Betrayal and Wings of Glory since they strengthened what few flaws the TV series had and it is necessary to get the epilogue of Aquarion Evol. If you see the best anime franchise of all time it goes Genesis TV > Genesis OVAs > EVOL > LOVE > Logos and for the love of fudge do not look up spoilers.
-Shin Mazinger Z: It's how to do a homage to classic mecha done correctly. Kind of hilarious that the ending is shown at the beginning of episode 2 and the rest of the series is technically a flashback, but at least there is the Mazinger Zero manga.
-Ryu Knight: The best of the SD mecha spawned from Wataru's popularity back in the day, it had a full TV series and an OVA series, both of which are solid and in different continuities.
-RahXephon: More for the artsy crowd and music lovers, but it's basically Raideen with Evangelion references. Didn't like the ending theme, everything else is pretty top notch if you can manage slow burns. I'll recommend Raideen when it gets fully subbed.... Which won't be for a long time.
-Escaflowne: Like romance? Like really gorgeous art? Like magic punk tech? Like isekai? Like really top notch music? Like tomboys? :lol: It's a hell of a ride!
-Fighbird: The best of the Braves series, also where the "Is this a pigeon?" meme first came from. Draias is one of the best villains in anime history.
-Might Gaine: The Braves series with the best mechs and the main/final villain (it'll make sense in the last episode) is the biggest meta F You to producers from the writers and director. The MC is a bit perfect but that's a plot point in the final arc. Also train robots smashing monsters and an epic opening theme, need I say more?
-Jushin Liger: Organic mecha and kaiju wrestling with very top notch music. Got fully subbed last year, it's based.
-God Mars: Very melodrama heavy, but it's very likeable through it's 64 episodes and Emperor Zule is the best villain in anime history.
-Gasaraki: Realistic military-esque series that goes deep into politics and philosophy revolving around ancient aliens. Main drawback is that aside from the MC the cast doesn't have a lot going for them.
-Star Driver: Very high energy in the action and comedy department.
-Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean: Don't let the whiny fanboys sway you, it's better than the first in virtually every way. Also lots of monster fighting. I'll also recommend Pocketful of Rainbows since it was based on a rough draft of what ended up being the first series (no idea why they renamed the antibody coralians to image, but whatever).
-Mazinkaiser SKL: You like metal music? Imagine that in giant robot form and unlike everything else here it's only three episodes. It may or may not be in the same continuity as Shin Mazinger, they left that ambiguous.
-Baldios: Easily one of the darkest anime ever made and unlike Mari Okada's butchering of the Gundam franchise it's done well. Watching the movie is mandatory after the series since it has the real ending.
-Ideon: Very dark series that involves galaxy travel and a high kill count, watching Be Invoked after the final episode is mandatory.
-Hell Target: You will not find a darker anime. This makes Violence Jack look like a Disney movie in comparison. This makes Midori look like Ice Age. Even gory independent shorts made by small animation teams wishes it ever got this horrific. All only one episode.
-Wataru: Have you ever wondered why the 2010s had such an isekai boom and why the early half of the 90s was dominated with fantasy anime until Evangelion started having knockoffs? You can blame this. It's actually good. Good luck finding subs that aren't garbage though.
-Captain Earth: More of a joke rec since it's not as good as anything else I listed, but it does have the best mascot in anime history. Watch it for squirrel antics, Pitz is undeniably adorable.

Added in 16 days 12 hours 27 minutes 28 seconds:
I forgot double posting outside the fan fiction/art forums are allowed now. :lol: My my times have certainly changed.

Classic Evangelion finally gets licensed on blu-ray (it better keep the old dub):
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ad/.164852

And the new season is here, may Attack on Titan hype finally die off but for some reason Danmachi, despite not even being decent, is getting a third season. We can't get a final season of Full Metal Panic because Sunrise bought out Xebec but somehow Type Moon, Ufotable, and Trigger aren't bankrupt despite the amount of garbage they've released over the last decade. And poor Bones, ever since Heroman everything they put out has been a slippery slope into entropy, they should have just done a Sargent Keroro knockoff. But hey, the best Macross entry is getting a new movie that just got announced!....... I feel left behind.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:You'd think I'd like mecha anime, but as of now I've only watched like 2, Gunbuster and Knight's & Magic. I guess Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan sorta counts, but only on the pickiest of technicalities.
Not a fan of Gunbuster, but Knights & Magic is pretty delightful.

Firestorm wrote:*snip*
My alienhulk sensors just exploded reading this post, holy hell.

Anyway, SSSS Gridman is pretty much a given recommendation for kaiju fans. It's not mecha, sure, but it's one of the few proper kaiju anime.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:You'd think I'd like mecha anime, but as of now I've only watched like 2, Gunbuster and Knight's & Magic. I guess Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan sorta counts, but only on the pickiest of technicalities.
Not a fan of Gunbuster, but Knights & Magic is pretty delightful.
Gunbuster wasn't my favorite show ever, but I wanted to make sure I watched it before Gunbuster 2, which I still need to see. Indeed, nothing too amazing but some good clean fun. I really enjoyed Oratio, he was such a fun antagonist to Ernesti, I wouldn't mind another season of them matching wits and mechs.
Inferno Rodan wrote:Anyway, SSSS Gridman is pretty much a given recommendation for kaiju fans. It's not mecha, sure, but it's one of the few proper kaiju anime.
Second this.

Firestorm
Yojimbo

Post by Firestorm »

What gave me away?
Anyway, SSSS Gridman is pretty much a given recommendation for kaiju fans.
And like most things from Trigger it sucked hard. First Gridman was a toku classic, that one tried too hard to take itself seriously. It was like a worse version of Made in Abyss but without having a double length final episode for no reason. All of which are still better than Iron Blooded Ovaries: The Ruination of Gundam at least.
I wanted to make sure I watched it before Gunbuster 2, which I still need to see.
Diebuster is worth it.

G-Force Personnel

Firestorm wrote:
What gave me away?
Anyway, SSSS Gridman is pretty much a given recommendation for kaiju fans.
And like most things from Trigger it sucked hard. First Gridman was a toku classic, that one tried too hard to take itself seriously. It was like a worse version of Made in Abyss but without having a double length final episode for no reason. All of which are still better than Iron Blooded Ovaries: The Ruination of Gundam at least.
I wanted to make sure I watched it before Gunbuster 2, which I still need to see.
Diebuster is worth it.
Excuse me? I'll be the first to admit SSSS. wasn't their strongest series, but what was that about Studio TRIGGER? You care to elaborate on that blanket statement?

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:Excuse me? I'll be the first to admit SSSS. wasn't their strongest series, but what was that about Studio TRIGGER? You care to elaborate on that blanket statement?
alienhulk2099, whom this Firestorm is an alt account of, is notorious for having very nonsensically contrarian tastes. Black is green and 2+2= dodecahedron with him. Best to just ignore him and move on.

But on the subject of SSSS...

I am excite.
Last edited by Inferno Rodan on Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

G-Force Personnel

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:Excuse me? I'll be the first to admit SSSS. wasn't their strongest series, but what was that about Studio TRIGGER? You care to elaborate on that blanket statement?
alienhulk2099, whom this Firestorm is an alt account of, is notorious for having very nonsensically contrarian tastes. Black is green and 2+2= dodecahedron with him. Best to just ignore him and move on.
Eh, I came off more hostile then I really meant to be, I was just surprised. If he's got a legitimate distaste for the studio's works I don't mind hearing his reasons.
But on the subject of SSSS...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Io4aHizWvQ
I am excite.
Oh you sick tease, how dare you make me wait the entire trailer for barely a second of dino robot.

I'm still hyped though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna be trying to figure out what Transformers the new characters are referencing.

G-Force Personnel

Should have thought to post this here last week, but the official Gundam YouTube channel has uploaded the movie Mobile Suit Gundam F91 in full with subs, if anyone is interested.

Was an interesting introduction to the Gundam universe, not sure about the plot but the first ten minutes were fantastic, a real "war is messy" scenario.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Guess I was bored and since I finished catching up to Blood of Zeus decided on watching another show Bleach on NetFlix.

Only has 109 episodes though on there as opposed to its 366.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I decided to finally catch up on Attack on Titan after having not seen the show since 2018. I finished season 3 and I'm watching season 4 right now. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this popular anime that has left a big impact on the anime community will finally end. I really, really hope it won't be disappointing.

I'm also currently watching Another, a mystery horror anime about high school teenagers dying from a curse. I've been wanting to watch it for years, but I never did until just recently.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm still behind on Attack on Titan as well, and Another has been sitting in my "plan to watch" list for a while too. Fun fact: I know Kow Otani did the score for the latter!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Rody wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:39 pm I'm still behind on Attack on Titan as well, and Another has been sitting in my "plan to watch" list for a while too. Fun fact: I know Kow Otani did the score for the latter!
I've wanted to check out Another as well. I've heard one track from Otani's score, and really liked it.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Attack on Titan's first season was the first anime I watched, and I loved it, but the wait for the second season was too long. I lost interest and never picked the show back up. Should I bother to?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^As someone who has yet to finish it myself, I can say that the story remains compelling so far; but it also gets more complicated (annoyingly so sometimes). If you strictly want monster action it might be a mixed bag, but if you appreciate the intrigue and broader story scope then I say pick it up again.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

After choosing with a Wheel Decider, started Children of the Whales.

Only 1 episode in and I'm already hooked. Has to have one of the strongest first episodes alongside Made In Abyss and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:08 pm Attack on Titan's first season was the first anime I watched, and I loved it, but the wait for the second season was too long. I lost interest and never picked the show back up. Should I bother to?
Yeah, I agree. The wait for season 2 was too long. If you ask me, it should've been out in, at least, 2015. With that being said, season 2 is great and worth the time if you really enjoyed season 1. Same goes for seasons 3 and 4.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have not watched Dragonball Super, but from what I've heard they've turned Goku into the anime version of Peter Griffin. That being a selfish, callous and braindead moron.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've finally started The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's been on my watch list for years and years, since long before I actually started watching anime. I watched the first episode on Crunchyroll a year or so back, but they axed the show before I got any further. I finally got around to making a Funimation account, and watched the first two eps a little bit ago. It already seems like it deserves the reputation. It's hilarious, and Nagato is already becoming one of my favorite anime characters. Apart from the alien(?) thing, she reminds me way too much of myself. I was always that kid that spent every available second at school reading and just tuning out the rest of the class, giving minimal one-sentence answers as needed. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 am I've finally started The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's been on my watch list for years and years, since long before I actually started watching anime. I watched the first episode on Crunchyroll a year or so back, but they axed the show before I got any further. I finally got around to making a Funimation account, and watched the first two eps a little bit ago. It already seems like it deserves the reputation. It's hilarious, and Nagato is already becoming one of my favorite anime characters. Apart from the alien(?) thing, she reminds me way too much of myself. I was always that kid that spent every available second at school reading and just tuning out the rest of the class, giving minimal one-sentence answers as needed. :lol:
Wait till you get to the movie. Great stuff.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I've been wanting to watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann lately but i'm not too sure where to start. Should i go watch the movies first, or should i stick to the main anime?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!