The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that it's strange that of all the long-running franchises in existence, Star Wars has been unaffected by the trend of reboots/remakes?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:04 pm Does anyone think that it's strange that of all the long-running franchises in existence, Star Wars has been unaffected by the trend of reboots/remakes?
I don't think it's really all that strange. Star Wars is one of the few original franchises that sold itself on being one long connecting story. It wasn't a book adaptation or a series of different films under one banner, it was all one big thing from one single person. It's a wholly unique entity in film history.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:09 pm
It wasn't a book adaptation or a series of different films under one banner, it was all one big thing from one single person. It's a wholly unique entity in film history.
I won't go as far as saying it's a wholly unique entity, but a rarity for sure.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:17 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:56 am The fact that they destroyed an entire aleady-existing saga just to retcon the fact that Chewbacca had died and they wanted to have him back.
That is...absolutely not the sole reason the EU was axed and it's pretty disingenuous and downright silly to imply it.
It's not the sole reason but when the TFA came out a lot of people for some reason was using that as one of the more important reasons.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:17 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:56 am The fact that they destroyed an entire aleady-existing saga just to retcon the fact that Chewbacca had died and they wanted to have him back.
That is...absolutely not the sole reason the EU was axed and it's pretty disingenuous and downright silly to imply it.
Sorry, but I don't think I said that was the only reason, just a major one. I thought I heard that Chewbacca had died heroically saving the lives of his friends in one of the Star Wars novels.

Btw, what were the other reasons they retconned an already perfect storyline that, imo, needed no retconning in the first place?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 pm Btw, what were the other reasons they retconned an already perfect storyline that, imo, needed no retconning in the first place?
They were making a series of movies for a wide audience, most of whom had no conception of the Expanded Universe, and weren't going to go out and catch up on more than 20 years of novels and comic books just so that they could go see a new space movie.

Also, what reason would they have to shackle the filmmakers to that continuity? They were creating an opportunity (not always one fully taken advantage of) to explore new and exciting cinematic directions for the franchise.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:34 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 pm Btw, what were the other reasons they retconned an already perfect storyline that, imo, needed no retconning in the first place?
They were making a series of movies for a wide audience, most of whom had no conception of the Expanded Universe, and weren't going to go out and catch up on more than 20 years of novels and comic books just so that they could go see a new space movie.

Also, what reason would they have to shackle the filmmakers to that continuity? They were creating an opportunity (not always one fully taken advantage of) to explore new and exciting cinematic directions for the franchise.
The sequel trilogy honestly could have gone in the same place with minor changes had they set it 50 years after Rotj instead of 30.

Kylo being Leia and Han's grandson would have been the only change.

All three trilogies have huge Expanded content but all you really need to see is the start of each Trilogy. I'd argue TPM and TFA are almost as good of entry points as ANH was depending on where the person started.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Oh, I see. Thanks for setting me straight.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:03 pm

The sequel trilogy honestly could have gone in the same place with minor changes had they set it 50 years after Rotj instead of 30.

All three trilogies have huge Expanded content but all you really need to see is the start of each Trilogy. I'd argue TPM and TFA are almost as good of entry points as ANH was depending on where the person started.
If the EU is so inconsequential that a few minor changes would make TFA canonically mesh with it, then it makes sense to just start over from a clean slate going forward to enable greater creative freedom in future projects.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:50 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:03 pm

If the EU is so inconsequential that a few minor changes would make TFA canonically mesh with it, then it makes sense to just start over from a clean slate going forward to enable greater creative freedom in future projects.
Which is why Disney did it that way. I'm just saying they didn't have to throw out Legends but it was always the best option to throw out everything but the 6 films and clone wars.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:04 pm Does anyone think that it's strange that of all the long-running franchises in existence, Star Wars has been unaffected by the trend of reboots/remakes?
What do you mean? The Force Awakens was a remake of the original! :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 pm
What do you mean? The Force Awakens was a remake of the original! :P
Only at the bare bones, but the film still presents itself as a sequel to pre-existing works, so no. Its similarities to A New Hope stems from laziness, not a desire to remake it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

A remake of the OT would be the only remake that I would actually hate.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:16 pm Its similarities to A New Hope stems from laziness, not a desire to remake it.
Hard disagree. Those similarities were a calculated means to appeal to the audiences nostalgia for the originals, after so much vocal complaint about the failure of the PT to recapture the tone and energy of the OT. And in terms of popular audience response, it seems to have been a pretty successful attempt.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

eabaker wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:16 pm Its similarities to A New Hope stems from laziness, not a desire to remake it.
Hard disagree. Those similarities were a calculated means to appeal to the audiences nostalgia for the originals, after so much vocal complaint about the failure of the PT to recapture the tone and energy of the OT. And in terms of popular audience response, it seems to have been a pretty successful attempt.
Only initially, after the first month or so of it cleaning out the record books, people started to really re-evaluate that movie and fast. "This is what Star Wars needed right now" was only popular in the beginning, then a lot of the dissent started to come in regards to just HOW MUCH of a retread of ANH it really was.

For example, I was even among a group of die hard Star Wars fans who were completely in the camp of "It needed to be familiar and emulate the original, and they needed to lay the groundwork for the whole trilogy that is coming, it is just a first act, so there are more questions than answers"....that is 100% what my stance was for 2 years. I was a hardcore Star Wars Stan all the way up through 2017.

Then The Last Jedi came out, and was as dreadful as it was...and it retroactively makes The Force Awakens worse. If TLJ had followed up in a lot of ways that seemed clear, answering questions and properly developing the momentum of where TFA started....then it may have retroactively made TFA feel even better, even more secure in the way it was executed.

But time has only been MORE brutal to The Force Awakens. If it was a familiar start to what ended up being a great new trilogy, it would be forgiven for being so similar to A New Hope. Things didn't turn out that way though. Instead, TFA is a fairly blatant and uncreative retread, that doesn't stand alone like ANH and isn't nearly as well written or structured. It is an open-ended, mystery-box filled beginning of a story, and then the next 2 pieces of the story are borderline unwatchable.

The sequel trilogy is about the closest thing to a total narrative failure that we've ever seen across 3 parts of a huge blockbuster trilogy. The fact that anyone rates any of those films above The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones is laughable. At least the prequel trilogy was a functioning 3 part story with a satisfying conclusion....the Disney Trilogy is a mess from front to back and arguably got WORSE with each consecutive chapter.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 am
eabaker wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 am
Only initially, after the first month or so of it cleaning out the record books, people started to really re-evaluate that movie and fast. "This is what Star Wars needed right now" was only popular in the beginning, then a lot of the dissent started to come in regards to just HOW MUCH of a retread of ANH it really was.

For example, I was even among a group of die hard Star Wars fans who were completely in the camp of "It needed to be familiar and emulate the original, and they needed to lay the groundwork for the whole trilogy that is coming, it is just a first act, so there are more questions than answers"....that is 100% what my stance was for 2 years. I was a hardcore Star Wars Stan all the way up through 2017.

Then The Last Jedi came out, and was as dreadful as it was...and it retroactively makes The Force Awakens worse. If TLJ had followed up in a lot of ways that seemed clear, answering questions and properly developing the momentum of where TFA started....then it may have retroactively made TFA feel even better, even more secure in the way it was executed.

But time has only been MORE brutal to The Force Awakens. If it was a familiar start to what ended up being a great new trilogy, it would be forgiven for being so similar to A New Hope. Things didn't turn out that way though. Instead, TFA is a fairly blatant and uncreative retread, that doesn't stand alone like ANH and isn't nearly as well written or structured. It is an open-ended, mystery-box filled beginning of a story, and then the next 2 pieces of the story are borderline unwatchable.

The sequel trilogy is about the closest thing to a total narrative failure that we've ever seen across 3 parts of a huge blockbuster trilogy. The fact that anyone rates any of those films above The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones is laughable. At least the prequel trilogy was a functioning 3 part story with a satisfying conclusion....the Disney Trilogy is a mess from front to back and arguably got WORSE with each consecutive chapter.
Some of this I agree with, some of it I disagree with, but none of it addresses the claim of "laziness."
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TFA can still come over my house and hang out. I despise TLJ and ROS however.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:17 am TFA can still.cone over my house and hang out. I depise TLJ and ROS however.
Despise?

That's fucking harsh...

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:51 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:17 am TFA can still.cone over my house and hang out. I depise TLJ and ROS however.
Despise?

That's skreeonking harsh...
I don't see it as harsh. I wish no harm on the filmmakers, the cast and If someone else likes them I'm glad they provided joy to others. Just in my personal opinion they did damage to Star Wars in my eyes with what they did to the OT cast.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

A lot of (fair) criticism has been shot at those movies, but I'd like to say that Crait is an insanely cool planet and those visuals were sweet. Didn't care for the cartoon crystal fox, but it's probably the most original idea for a planet out of all of Star Wars.
If I had to pick the biggest sin of Last Jedi it was probably the lack of lightsaber fights. On a story level, though I didn't care for it, Rian's sUbVeRsIoN oF eXpEcTaTiOnS was an interesting idea. But the fact that the only "real" lightsaber fight was the PS2 tier fight scene with SnokePurpp's entourage and that was it is sort of the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.