The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Reptile »

Honestly, Return of the Jedi is my favorite film in the entire trilogy. The second part of the last fight where Luke gives into his rage and proceeds to curbstomp Vader is epic.

Ewoks can suck it, though.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Re: Star Wars

Post by Reptile »

Tyler wrote:
Reptile wrote:Ewoks can suck it, though.
Boooooooooooooooo.
Yeah, yeah. :P :lol:

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

This is how i rank the series
Episode 3: I loved it my favorite of the prequels and the whole saga amd it has my favorite character of star wars General Grevious!
Episode 2: yeah the romance sucks but the fight scenes are cool.
Episode 5: I liked this one a whole lot with its storyline and and the stopmotion for the hoth battle scenes.
Episode 6: I did like the music for the final battle and the battle itself and its always seeing ewoks die :twisted:
Episode 1: I though this one okay hated jar jar binks and the battles were okay
Episode 4: Ok go ahead and sue me and kill me, the reasons why this is my least favorite is because i thought it was kinda slow but i regonize its work and without it the whole star wars universe had never been made i don't hate it would most likely be tied with one.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Han is the only one who shot.

I like Star Wars, but I'm not INSANE about it like some people. I do prefer the original trilogy to the prequels, however, I think Revenge Of The Sith ranks up there with the originals. That's just me though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I like the series. It's fun, it's iconic, and it's just good entertainment. What more can you ask for?

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Star Wars - Classic, influential, memorable 70's summer blockbuster.
Holiday Special - Quite awful; it feels like a taste of things to come.
The Empire Strikes Back - This is how you do a sequel, folks. Superb.
Return of the Jedi - Other than the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff, rather lousy.
Ewok Movies - An endurance test. Completely pointless TV movies.
The Phantom Menace - Somewhat misguided, but not completely terrible.
Attack of the Clones - Great Obi-Wan story, grating love story. Mixed bag.
Revenge of the Sith - Unintentionally funny, but another major disappointment.
Clone Wars - Maybe if this material were covered in live-action, I would care...

Ranking: TESB-SW-AOTC-TPM-ROTJ-ROTS-CW-HS-TEA/EBFE
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They're all entertaining, but I do like 6,1, and 3 best. Revenge of the Sith is very good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I'm a fanboy of the whole series. I enjoy all the movies in some way, and yes I am a rather large fan of The Clone Wars. Star Wars honestly gets a little too much hate. Sure it may not be perfect, and its riddled with studio meddling, its just fun to take them as they are.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

The prequels sucked big time when compared with the originals, what a disappointment. However I"ll admit that episode 3 was much better than ep1 and ep2.

The original trilogy is epic. Empire is the best of them I think. The best science fiction films ever made, probably, although Alien and Aliens, along with Blade Runner are just as good IMHO.
-FINIS-

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Tyler wrote: I saw the Clone Wars CG movie with my brother (who likes Star Wars as much as I like Godzilla) and we just shook our heads. Ziro the Hutt is the worst character is the entire saga.
I actually really enjoyed seeing him be killed off by Sy Snootles this season. I have to say though, people unfairly judge this series based on the film. It has really improved, and some of the characters they've introduced like Hondo and Cad Bane are fantastic.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

The Phantom Menace - Enjoyable. Not great, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
Attack of the Clones - Pretty dull, really. I don't hate it, but it's definitely the weak point of the film series for me.
Revenge of the Sith - I really enjoy this one. It's my third favorite, under TESB and ANH.
A New Hope - Not my favorite, but it is a pretty important film. It's also pretty good.
The Empire Strikes Back - My favorite of the series. It's also, IMO, the best one.
Return of the Jedi - It's good, but it just doesn't live up to the standards set by ANH and TESB. Ewoks suck.

The Clone Wars (film) - Don't waste your time.
The Clone Wars (series) - Rather enjoyable, IMO.

I never saw the Christmas special and I've never dabbled in any of the EU stuff, so characters introduced in the novels, comics, whatever are completely unknown to me.

I also never understood Boba Fett's extreme popularity.

OMGmyproblems
Yojimbo

Post by OMGmyproblems »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote: I actually really enjoyed seeing him be killed off by Sy Snootles this season. I have to say though, people unfairly judge this series based on the film. It has really improved, and some of the characters they've introduced like Hondo and Cad Bane are fantastic.
Gorosaur, your forgetting Embo!
OMGmyProblem: "Quite a plain signature isn't it?"

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I love Embo, but he has yet to be featured as a recurring character. His character being a tribute to the Seven Samurai does make him worthy of mention on this site though.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Star Wars - Classic, timeless, etc. Not much point in continuing. 4.5/5.
The Empire Strikes Back - One of the best Sci-Fi films of all time. 5/5.
Return of the Jedi - Rather slow, but has a climax that makes up for it. 4/5.
The Phantom Menace - It's largely inconsistent in tone, but otherwise very entertaining. 3.5/5.
Attack of the Clones - Again, a slow film, but with a handful of interesting scenes to back it up. 3/5.
Revenge of the Sith - The lack of real enviroments gives a somewhat artificial vibe to it, but storywise it succeeds. 4/5.

The EU doesn't exist for me.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

OMGmyproblems
Yojimbo

Post by OMGmyproblems »

Very true, though I hope they don't end up following Kyuzo completely. I know you said they decided not to kill him, but still. Also, I can't imagine them keeping him alive just so they could not use him.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

OMGmyproblems wrote:Very true, though I hope they don't end up following Kyuzo completely. I know you said they decided not to kill him, but still. Also, I can't imagine them keeping him alive just so they could not use him.
The thing is, The Clone Wars scripting process is far ahead of where the fans are at the moment. They probably are just now getting to more Embo after seeing how positively fans reacted to him.

OMGmyproblems
Yojimbo

Post by OMGmyproblems »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote: The thing is, The Clone Wars scripting process is far ahead of where the fans are at the moment. They probably are just now getting to more Embo after seeing how positively fans reacted to him.
Eff, your right about that, it takes them quite awhile to create episodes and most of them are way behind where they are scripting wise.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

A New Hope - An absolute movie classic. Totally mindless fun, and lives up to being called one of the most important movies ever made.
The Empire Strikes Back - Hands down my favorite of the series. The writing, acting, music, and SPFX have yet to be topped. R.I.P. Irvin Kershner
Return of the Jedi - My least favorite of the original trilogy, but it's still extremely entertaining. Ewoks > Gungans.
The Phantom Menace - Not NEARLY as bad as fanboys would have you believe. It does have some craptacular performances, but man it could have been worse...
Attack of the Clones - Speaking of how it could be worse... Terrible writing and acting. It's only saved by the battle on Geonosis.
Revenge of the Sith - Once again bogged down by bad writing, but the atmosphere is sublime and the acting's improved. Plus Ian McDiarmid deserved an Oscar, damn it.
The Clone Wars - Just...just....just so bad. Undeniably terrible on every count.

The Clone Wars (Tartakovsky series) - Bad-ass. General Grievous was so pussified in Episode III.
Ewoks (TV series) - Pretty forgettable, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't look forward to watching it every morning. Mostly for the theme song.
Droids - I don't remember it, to be honest. I remember thinking it was okay.
The Ewok Adventure - Not bad. Great production values for a TV movie, plus a pleasant fantasy vibe.

Never seen Ewoks: The Battle for Endor or The Clone Wars CGI series. And I can safely say I'm the only person on Earth who is looking forward to the 3D conversion of the six films, but knows each one will probably pull in $50 million+ regardless.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Phantom Menace: Liam Neeson ftw. Very mixed bag here. Cut out the Gungan crap, and it probably would've been good. 3/5
Attack of the Clones: Worst of the series. Just plain bad. The end was good fun, but still... 2/5
Revenge of the Sith: One of the best of the series. Watching Anakin complete his transformation into Vader was just... heart-wrenching. 4/5.
A New Hope: Again, not great, but good fun. 3.5/5
Empire Strikes Back: The height of the series. Overall, just plain excellent. It's one of the very, VERY few movies I give this rating to. 5/5.
Return of the Jedi: Very "meh." Bland, mostly forgettable. But at least Luke grew into something of a badass. 3/5.

As for the rest of it? I ignore it completely. The very first Clone Wars series was awesome. Mace vs. Grevious was just awesome. Still, the games, I think, are better than the movies. KOTOR, even the Force Unleashed games.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Agree with on the games. KOTOR is a masterpiece, best peice of Star Wars ever.