The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:57 am Image
To be totally fair, we all know the real reason the former doesn’t make headlines is because Disney World employees aren’t famous.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Both situations resulted in backlash.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

You don't get carte blanche to make irresponsible and offensive statements under the pretense of claiming them as political beliefs.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 am You don't get carte blanche to make irresponsible and offensive statements under the pretense of claiming them as political beliefs.
Or hide behind "freedom of speech" as an excuse to act like a jackass.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Freedom of speech doesn't mean protection from the consequences of what you say.
Gina Carano knew she was under a microscope. I just think it's crazy they didn't draw the line at implications of election fraud and anti-mask stuff.
Personally I thought the comment that apparently was the camel-breaking straw was ignorant but not exactly as offensive or dangerous (though I can't really say as my family to my knowledge wasn't in any camps and I'm certainly not Jewish) compared to some of the other crap she's posted.
Anyways, now that she's working with him, I'm picturing Gina and Ben Shapiro like the little dude and the big dude from Beyond Thunderdome.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Also, by all accounts, Carano wasn't fired, because she was not currently employed by Disney on any projects. They simply won't be re-hiring her in the future.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:28 am
Anyways, now that she's working with him, I'm picturing Gina and Ben Shapiro like the little dude and the big dude from Beyond Thunderdome.
She's working with Ben Shapiro now???

Oh my god, this just keeps getting worse/better. :lol:

You're digging yourself a deeper hole you idiot!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 am
Terasawa wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 am You don't get carte blanche to make irresponsible and offensive statements under the pretense of claiming them as political beliefs.
Or hide behind "freedom of speech" as an excuse to act like a jackass.
Not to mention freedom of speech does NOT equal freedom from consequences. All it means is the government can't go after it.

Not that they ever really believed in "free speech", anyway.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For all its faults, at least the Prequel Trilogy managed to forge its own distinct identity apart from the original films. That's a whole lot more than can be said about the sequels, which just so happened to play it too safe in that regard.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I liked Jar Jar

T poses

Come at me, I'm ready.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don’t mind Jar Jar either.

As a kid, he was funny comic relief. As an adult, I feel really bad for Ahmed Best, and that anger at the media and larger fandom that drove him to the brink of suicide overshadows any positive or negative feelings about the character himself.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KK42 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:51 am I don’t mind Jar Jar either.

As a kid, he was funny comic relief. As an adult, I feel really bad for Ahmed Best, and that anger at the media and larger fandom that drove him to the brink of suicide overshadows any positive or negative feelings about the character himself.
The hardcore OT fans attack anything past RotJ because they aged and Star Wars stayed the same.

It's the reason why when I get upset at the ST its strictly because of Luke and Han's treatment.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 pm

The hardcore OT fans attack anything past RotJ because they aged and Star Wars stayed the same.

It's the reason why when I get upset at the ST its strictly because of Luke and Han's treatment.
Some attack anything post-empire as well. I’ve seen at least a few that crucify ROTJ for the Ewoks and how it’s not as solid a film as empire. While I agree it isn’t as tightly written, it’s my favorite in the saga, because it does wrap up the trilogy pretty strongly.

I like the sequels well enough, and I hope some of the decisions they took grow on me more over time, I just wish they did more with new Jedi and new Force users, instead of restricting it so much to Rey and Kylo. Part of what I adored about Legends and the old EU was that the Skywalker Jedi academy actually grew pretty big and had a lot of students and eventual masters. It felt barren to not have even a “Skywalker” force group, or something of that ilk, especially by the end. Really showed that the sequels harped too much on the OT’s identity, ending with only one Jedi once more.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Got the original "Art of Star Wars" book at a used bookstore. Looking through it: the shooting script (slightly different from the finished film), supplemented by the concept art/storyboards/photos of the final designs, and then closes with promotional art and other odds and ends from the pre-Empire era.

Even though Empire is my favorite Star Wars movie I think this (late '70s) is my favorite era of Star Wars; when it was just one, iconic movie and because it's just so pure and simple and doesn't have this huge accumulated mythology and continuity you sort of bring your own interpretation to it.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 pm

In my experience in the SW fanbase, the fans that attack the ST the most are generally Prequel/Clone Wars fans. I've had to defend the ST and ST fans from some CW fans because the CW fans were just that rabid and eggshell thin about their stories. Never had problems with OT fans but the CW fans I've encountered on the contrary have just been toxic and extremely obsessive over a orange cat alien, if you criticise that particular character you are going to get dog-piled. Not saying that there aren't any or were toxic OT fans but nowadays I'd say they are quite out-numbered in comparison by the other group.

And for the ST I could deal with Han, Luke's treatment if it was just handled well but the ST just rushed through it all. Han never got any development in TFA and JJ dumped Luke in the second film with no structure and Rian ran with it according to his vision. For me its just the amount of plot contrivances, character inconsistency, and pacing that kills the ST more than anything else. Watching Episode 9 bloody gave me a headache with how quickly it blew through its story and how pointless so much of it was

Also the harassment Jake and Ahmed got from their portrayals is just the most moronic and idiotic thing ever
Last edited by ROMG4 on Sat May 22, 2021 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ROMG4 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:25 am In my experience in the SW fanbase, the fans that attack the ST the most are generally Prequel/Clone Wars fans. Never had problems with OT fans...
Funny. My experiences with the Star Wars fandom have been the polar opposite. The OT fans have made me feel ashamed to be a Star Wars fan for the past fifteen years, well before the conception of the sequel trilogy. I’ve been personally harassed, bullied and dogpiled for defending the PT and its fans in the past, both online and in real life. Even by fucking family members have participated in this borderline gaslighting campaign, for heaven’s sake — my siblings and I share a running joke that Star Wars is the most volatile topic you can bring up at the dinner table, worse than politics and religion.

By comparison, the discussions I’ve had with PT fans have been some of the most peaceful and pleasant I ever experienced in the fandom. Just meme sharing, reminiscing on old games from the early/mid-2000s, keeping one another up to date on new animated episode releases. If all Star Wars fans were like that I might actually enjoy this fandom for a change.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

KK42 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:08 amFunny. My experiences with the Star Wars fandom have been the polar opposite.
Yeah that makes sense the fandom is a big place so it can be easy to run into different types of toxicity that's why I simply measure where I choose to spend time as all of us should
he OT fans have made me feel ashamed to be a Star Wars fan for the past fifteen years, well before the conception of the sequel trilogy.
You should never feel ashamed to be a fan just because others act badly, you ain't responsible for their actions nor can you control them. Let them be childish and continue enjoying what you enjoy and let them stew in bitterness
I’ve been personally harassed, bullied and dogpiled for defending the PT and its fans in the past, both online and in real life. Even by skreeonking family members have participated in this borderline gaslighting campaign
...What?

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

One PT criticism I have never understood is the lightsaber duels. Yeah, they are choreographed and are like a dance, but that's why I love martial arts fantasy. Not every strike has to be an attempt at a killing blow and as a karate guy myself, seeing fantasy Katas is fun.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

The lightsaber duel in Phantom Menace is awesome.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.